Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Postby Fissulyna » 16 Jun 2009, 22:08

Also- you should have as many post-op visits as you think you need Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby crimeofpassion » 17 Jun 2009, 15:14

It's hard to say for sure if they've gone down in frequency. They've probably gone down a little bit.... They definitely get worse after I have a BM, but that's not surprising. I'm sure the constant sitting throughout the day isn't helping either.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Jun 2009, 18:16

Sitting and sometimes even kneeling could bring on my spasms especially early in the day.
I just always felt while I had my fissure that unless I could go to a "fissure farm" and just lie around all day for a couple weeks I would heal. It was just my impression that sitting, driving, and other activities made things worse. But life goes on...
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Jun 2009, 18:51

I WAS on a "fissure farm" - had that "luxury" since I did not have to work and had my kids and hubby "take over" the house - and I healed than re-teared than healed, than re-teared Image Image Image - so, when fissure is on the loose - fat chance of healing without "whacking" it with a LIS ...or two in my case Image !!!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby crimeofpassion » 17 Jun 2009, 20:40

How soon after your first LIS did you have your second one, Fissulyna?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jen » 17 Jun 2009, 21:15

I just want to let you know that I did not heal for months after LIS. I had my LIS in Aug 2008, and I am now starting to feel ok. I too, thought about a second LIS when I was having issues after my first, but I gave it time and I am glad I did.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby crimeofpassion » 18 Jun 2009, 11:20

Jen, did your spasms continue after the surgery, or did they completely stop right away?
I'm just amazed that some people fly through this so quickly and feel better in a matter of weeks. Obviously everyone heals differently, but it's still surprising.
Most people here say their post-surgery pain was bad, but better than it was before the surgery, but I'm the complete opposite. I was in a ton of pain after the surgery, and I'm still far more sore than I ever was before. And of course, the spasms are continuing, and I've started applying small amounts of Nitro cream again...
Hopefully in the end, though, things will heal! :) I have a hard time staying positive - that's my main problem...
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 18 Jun 2009, 15:33

Me too! I understand completely.....but like Jen I am taking time to heal too. It is better though I still have bad days where it hurts worse. I am giving mine lots of time too though :)

Postby crimeofpassion » 18 Jun 2009, 20:31

Glad to hear (well - sorry to hear, really, but you know what I mean Image) there are other slow healers! I'm not alone! Image Whenever I get sick/injured, it takes me forever and a day to get better. I was hoping this would be different, but I guess not.
But what about spasms? For the people who commented that their healing wasn't fast either, did your spasms continue too? Or am I still kinda in the minority in that regard?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 18 Jun 2009, 22:20

I had my first LIS mid Dec. 2007 and my second mid August 2008. I had to have my second LIS since 3 CRSs confirmed that my sphincter was still super tight. After my second LIS my CRS said that he could not even find the scar tissue where the first LIS was performed and said he never saw such case. My sphincter actually completely regenerated and regained it's full strength.
In my case I just had to have second LIS since I would never completely be "home-free" otherwise. I am very glad I listened to my intuition and searched for definite solution for my problem.
Passion- in my humble opinion, I do not think you match a typical case Image . I would seek second opinion if I were you Image .
I wish you the best of luck Image
Fissulyna
VIP