IBS and LIS healing

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: IBS and LIS healing

Postby cherylk » 08 May 2010, 13:48

I really was thinking and still believe that most docs don't take these fissures too seriously..they have no idea how incapacitating it is to everday life, let alone travel, etc.
Sidra,
I think you are 1,000% correct with your comment! Image
How wonderful that you can now climb walls in other countries! We used to have a picture of my boss standing on the Great Wall on our bulletin board at work. Were you able to view the sun? He said it looked like a very small dot (due to pollution in China)! :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 00:25

Hey NP - congrats dude LMAO Image - I really thought you will never jump on that table Image !!!!!
I did some "fast-reading" through your threads : ))), and I am pleased to see that you are doing well Image
There is no incontinence there Image LOL, what you have is completely normal - most people have that happen for the first week just after the surgery and as I told you before - you will know your "final" sphincter strength in about 6 mos , so worrying now is really putting extra pressure on your poor body that needs all of that strength and REST to recover and heal !
You might expect to heal in the period of 6 weeks minimum to 3-4 mos more probable and definitely should be out of the any discomfort by 6 mos. Do not rush anything : ) ! You did not have terrible spasms and indescribable pain that goes with that and that is why you do not feel tremendous relief as some members did ; ) ! BUT, you got your butt in a best possible place to start healing and now you have to relax, take soaks, and pumper your guts and help it heal !!!!
I am sorry to hear that you have IBS - but regardless of that, as you could see, even people with much worse cases of IBS did heal with no problem.
You have to try to make your poop formed - not too soft : (. It should be like a play-dough, not liquid or mushy under any circumstance : (((. You will have BMs too often and on acidic side and it will just aggravate your butt : (.
Make sure you keep your butt clean as a "daisy" and take soaks at least 3 times a day - if possible 4.
Never forget that LIS ONLY helps healing to take place - you still have a fissure to heal and it will take time !!! Try to get off those pain killers - Tylenol should be sufficient at this time , so that you can reduce Miralax and get normal size and consistency of poop !!!
Wishing you fast and forever healing !!! Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 May 2010, 00:32

Hey Fiss, I think the "incontinence" is tapering down now :) And I haven't taken Vicodin for days now.
I just noticed one weird thing though. Today is the first day I've been able to touch my anus with my fingers while showering/bathing. When I did, I felt a good sized bump/lump on the side where the LIS incision was made. Is that normal to have there? I know for sure it wasn't there before LIS. Pushing it doesn't seem to hurt, but it sure is noticeable...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 May 2010, 00:43

Also, good to see you around :) :) :) I was definitely freaked out before the operation and also afterward (as you can tell by my threads) but just needed to know if this would work for me. When we talked before, you had me imagining the possibility of such a great life that I just had to see what was on the other side of the LIS door...
Right now the pain is a little worse than before LIS (before it was maybe 1-2 and now it's about 3-4) but my fears of incontinence have calmed down some. It's comforting to hear that healing takes some time Image
The soaking definitely works great. Since I poop many times a day and am working from home for another week, I soak after every BM. My water bill this month is going to be sky high Image
Discovering this bump (it's hard and feels to my finger like what a huge mosquito bite might feel like) on the side where I had LIS has unsettled me a little again but hopefully that's normal. I would hate for the LIS to cause issues that I didn't have before.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 00:46

NP - do you feel comfortable to look in the mirror ??? Put a small mirror on the bathroom floor and squat over it with a good lightening and look at your anus !!!!
Can you do that ??? Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 May 2010, 00:48

lol actually I was about to ask my wife to have a peek :)
By the way you're stating it I'm guessing it's not normal though huh :( I was kind of hoping it was just swelling from the incision that hasn't gone down all the way yet. But the fact that it doesn't hurt when palpated makes me think otherwise.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 00:49

Do not be surprised to see some bruising !!!!! Bump is normal absolutely and some serious swelling : (. It is not a pretty sight but I want you to get comfortable checking your anus for any "wrong kind" of bump or discharge : )) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 00:50

Yes, you can ask your wife too . My hubby had a regular "Proctologst Practice" every day LMAO He even had a "head light" and all LMAO
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 00:51

BUT - she will not be arround always and I would like you to be comfortable to look at your anus and follow the progress !
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 00:52

It might calm you down to see that every day it will look better and better !!!!! :)
Fissulyna
VIP