IBS and LIS healing

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: IBS and LIS healing

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 00:56

Do not forget that they have to cut first Butt-cheek muscle and than sphincter - so it is going to be bruising, swelling, etc ! It is all normal!!!!!!!!! What is NOT normal is if the bump is really red - as you had a "sunburn" or there is intense pain when you touch it and is getting worse or if there is yellow/green puss coming out of the butt - like a "sinus infection" discharge LOL - know what I mean ; ) !
Anyways - EVEN if there is a an infection - not a biggie !!!!! Trust me - many had it and just took antibiotics and it cleared up - no problemo - OK !!!!! Image
BUT - I am sure that it is absolutely nothing !!!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 00:58

I also want you to check after a soak that anus is nice and clean !!!! Sometimes some "debris" stays there regardless of washing !!!! If you see any fecal matter - take a q-tip, dip it in a Balneol and gently swab the gunk off the anus - K ?? : )
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 May 2010, 00:58

Ok I just borrowed my wife's markup mirror and looked :) I didn't want to force her to be the first to see lol in case it was super nasty.
So it just looks like a big lump of flesh Image It is the first time I've seen the area after surgery (and one of the few times ever!) so I don't have much to compare it to...
On the side where the fissure is, I can see a small skin tag. That has been there for years now and it's tiny.
But on the LIS side, I just see what looks like a really big mosquito bite. It looks like the flesh is swollen, very round, and it kind of protrudes into the center of the anus, so that it almost "blocks" stool that would come out. It doesn't look bloody or anything, just regular flesh, maybe very very very slightly pink but that's it. When I touch it, it feels very hard, much harder than a skin tag. Weird thing is I don't see any sign of an incision anywhere. Maybe the actual incision is just so small that I can't see it.
I know you can't tell over the Internet, but does the bump sound normal for post LIS? I'm going to call the doc tomorrow to ask but am kind of freaked out about it.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 May 2010, 01:06

I actually just took a shower about 10 minutes ago after a BM so the area is clean as a whistle :) After LIS, every time I have a BM, I shower first and then I bath and "swish" water over the area to get rid of "stowaway" debris haha.
But yeah, there's no pain when I touch the bump, it's only very mildly pink, and there is nothing coming out of the butt either right now or any other time. This is going to be gross, but it looks kind of like a hard flesh colored pile of cottage cheese (i.e., wrinkly skin stretched over a round mound of flesh). Sorry for the TMI, I guess I get kind of graphic when I feel panicky...
I kind of wish I'd looked at the area earlier so that I have some point of reference to compare it to. For the last few days, I haven't touched the area because it was so sore and tender. Today it didn't feel as bad so I went ahead and put soap on it with my finger while showering. That's when I thought "oh crap there's a big hard bump there!" Then I came to the computer immediately to ask my fissure friends what the heck it was, and saw that you had replied to my post -- thank you for the good timing :) :)
Anyway I don't feel any signs of infection, so I don't it's that. I was more worried about the surgery causing something like a huge skin tag or hemorrhoid or some other kind of anal injury. I kind of wish I didn't discover this tonight, probably going to take a little extra Valium and try to sleep so I don't think about it. Sheesh, just when I was getting less worried about the so-called "incontinence".
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 01:07

Hey - hey - no freaking Image Image Image !!!!
Tell me - is the bump inside the anus or the edge of the anus - it does not sound like anything bad so far !!!!!!!!!! REMEMBER - infection hurt BADLY And all the time - it throbs and throbs and feel hot. Did you ever had a scraped knee and it got infected or something ???
In general - if you have any concerns - you make app. to be seen !!!!!!!!!! It is their job to take care of you - why would you spend even a day of worry for nothing !!!! Image
It could very well be a small hemathoma or lymph accumulated and it will dissolve and disappear. I had her "mentor" hitting my vein by a needle while he did a local and I formed big hemathoma : ((( and outside hemorrhoid : ((( post op - imagine that : (((. My skin tag filled up with blood also and became 5 times bigger than it was before surgery : ((( - he really butchered me up NP - trust me - you are doing well buddy !!!!!
BUT - go and check it : ))) !!!! Just so you can relax - OK ??
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 May 2010, 01:09

I guess the short summary of it all is that the stupid bump just feels (and looks) so big and hard, it's not what I expected swollen tissue to look like. Then again who knows, I've never had surgery so what do I know. Oh well, it is what it is, nothing I can do about it now except wait and see, I guess.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 01:09

Oh - and yes - your outside cut was 5 mm and skin closes second day with NO sign of anything ever being done. If you do not look same day of surgery down there - you would not see it ; )) LOL
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 10 May 2010, 01:11

NP - you can do something - GO AND MAKE Dr LOOK ! Why would you worry buddy ????????????????
I am sure it will dissolve in about 2 weeks ! Those soaks will help with that too !!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you being so conscientious and having nice soaks Image Many dismiss them and it is totally wrong !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 May 2010, 01:17

Whoa ok, how did you get rid of the hematoma, engorged skin tag, plus hemorrhoid??? That would make me go nuts!
Ok I just had another look, and I'm pretty sure it's not inside the anus. Definitely looks outside to me, from the edge of the anus and it extends a little but away from the anus too.
It doesn't look filled with blood like what I'd expect a hematoma to look like. I actually did a quick google search and found some pics that look like it. I won't post them here and gross other people out, but the closest thing it looks like is external hemorrhoids? I hope that's not what it is but it looks the most likely if I compare pics...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 May 2010, 01:24

Yeah I'm super paranoid and soak the hell out of my butt. I also blow dry it with cool air when I have time. Then I stick a cotton pad in between the cheeks, wear it that way until everything's dry, and remove the cotton and try to sit in positions where my rear can "air out" lol. Pretty sad stuff.
I'm definitely going to call the doctor tomorrow. All kinds of things are going on with my son and I can't drive so I'll probably have to wait a while before I can get over there though. Now that I have the mirror I'll just hope the bump gets smaller in the meantime I guess.
I'm not too scared that it's something really terrible but I just mentally wanted to get this in the rearview mirror so I can have one less thing to worry about. Probably the reason I was susceptible to Valium, bad timing with all the weird stuff going on around me. It's not any worse than what others are going through but I'm just not real equipped to handle it.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure