IBS and LIS healing

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: IBS and LIS healing

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 May 2010, 02:13

Alright guys, not to freak out again, but I'm back with more bump related questions... Today the bump looks more red and swollen and the anal area has felt itchy (like a raw, irritated type of itchy) all day.
I've also noticed some yellowish discharge which wasn't there the last few days. The first time it happened this morning, I saw it in the underwear and figured it was just "skid marks" from the morning BM. But I just noticed some again right now, much more noticeable this time and was there even though I just bathed about 30 minutes ago. I didn't pass gas or anything that could cause soilage either. And I know this is nasty, but the discharge doesn't really have a poopy odor to it, it's more liquid-like than anything else.
I'm going to call the doc tomorrow to ask if it sounds like an infection but figured I'd check with you all here too. If it were an infection, wouldn't I have other signs like a fever? And is the normal treatment for infections just oral antibiotics, or do they do something else like lance the abscess? I'm not sure which one worries me more, I hate antibiotics, of all the drugs I've ever taken I think those are the ones I find by far the most repulsive...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 May 2010, 02:31

Alright searched around and I think I answered my own question, unfortunately... I remember asking the doc pre-op what happens if I get an infection, and she said the abscess would need to be surgically drained. The websites I saw just now do seem to concur that treatment consists of surgically draining the abscess and then taking antibiotics and hoping that a fistula doesn't form. Not really what I wanted to hear.
There's definitely some continuing discharge so I guess it's time to call the doc in the morning and take the next step of this great adventure.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 May 2010, 08:54

Ugh alright, so I haven't seemed to get that much more discharge since last night, and the irritation is still present but slightly less at the moment. Maybe the discharge or drainage was just because I had a bunch of BMs yesterday, sat on my ass all day, and also went for a drive? Maybe I pushed things too hard before they were ready? This thing is so damn enigmatic, not sure what to think. I'd expect an infection to get worse, not waver back and forth.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 13 May 2010, 13:47

Go and have it checked !!!! Why would you drive yourself nuts now thinking about all possible scenarios happening : ((( !!!! Never forget that she gets a NICE chunk of money any time she looks LOL - so make her happy and get a peace of mind ; ))) !!!! That is what I would do Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 May 2010, 13:58

lol dammit Fiss I'm still sitting on my ass today doing nothing about it. I only got very minimal discharge today, although the whole anal area is still very raw and irritated feeling.
Can doctors tell an abscess just by looking/touching? I guess I don't want to go be seen by the doc before the infection is bad enough to be positively identified (assuming it is an infection of course).
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 May 2010, 15:27

Alright made an appointment to see the doc tomorrow morning. Figured it wasn't super urgent so it can wait until then. Fingers crossed that whatever it is doesn't require surgery or antibiotics. Better antibiotics than surgery, I guess, but only by the slimmest of margins. Fiss I'll tell the doc that she owes you commission on the office visit haha :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 13 May 2010, 17:33

Oh - she owns me much more than that Image - like an apology LMAO for telling me that there is nothing that can be done for me Image Image Image !!!! LMAO Yeah -right Image
I am glad you made that app. since you will be able to either relax a little (since there is no way relaxing you *wink-wink , he he ...) or you will get a proper treatment - whatever it is Image . Do not fret about it all in advance - repeat what Fissy said - deal with "today" - right now you are happy so stay in that state and do not think about tomorrow . Image One battle at a time - OK !!!!
AND - if anything needs to be done it is better that it is done NOW in the recovery period and not after you are half-healed and need to start all over again - right ??? SO - although I am sure all will be just fine - I am giving you this prospective so you can be cool about it too !!!!
We had MANY members having small infection and they progressed with healing just fine !!!!! Maybe only one or 2 weeks of extra soaks and what is that in the "grand picture" of it all ; ))) !!!!
Best of luck dude and chill today ; ))) !!!! What is the "game of a day" today :D :D :D ??? Did you reach "top level " ???? :D
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 13 May 2010, 17:51

lol no gaming today Fiss, I've been working from home all week. So just me and my laptop sitting on a pillow all day :)
I'm half expecting to be told that I don't have any infection. I seems weird that it would come on this long (nearly 2 weeks) post-op. And the wet/raw irritation I'm feeling doesn't really match the descriptions of "intense pain" that I typically read about for anal infections. The only symptom that makes me really worried is the discharge: liquidy yellow stuff. It's not there all the time, sometimes it stains the underwear, sometimes I only notice it when I dab the anus with toilet paper.
Still there's no denying that the area is really irritated, so may as well get the doc's opinion I suppose.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I'll be more disappointed if I'm told there is or isn't an infection. If it's an infection then I know what I'm dealing with. If there isn't an infection then I'll be left to wonder. LOL what was that you said about no relaxing... :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 14 May 2010, 00:35

He he ; )) - I might need to check my butt too - just too long for my taste that it is acting "funny" now Image It just shows that even 2 years are not enough to make that place "invincible" Image - it is not an A-hole - it is an HELLHOLE !!!!!LMAO
Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 May 2010, 00:41

Hey Fissy, so it's still going on? It's been a few weeks now... Getting any worse or about the same?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure