just had surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

just had surgery

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2007, 08:39

i has a lateral sphincterotomy and skin tag excision on the 29th march i am still very sore and swollen is this normal, i have had my bowels open three times since but it is uncomfortable

Re: just had surgery

Postby small_flower » 02 Apr 2007, 23:33

Hello,
Yes is it very normal. I had my surgery back in february and I was sore for a good week afterwards. You will get better a little bit every day, but the pain you are feeling is very normal.
Follow your surgeons after care instructions, take lots of baths, take lots of naps, take your pain killers, laxative, and do a lot of laying around. I know that you probably feel horrible right now, but its going to get better, and trust me, it is SOOOO worth it. Good luck to you.
xo
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Deleted User 5 » 03 Apr 2007, 07:01

You will have a recovery period of 3-4 weeks. While you may feel a lot better after a week or so, you won't feel 100% until somewhat later.
If I may graciously rephrase what Kate said about the laxatives, take them only if your doctor orders them because they will cause a painful burning which will not help the healing of the fissure. Stay on the AF diet and get lots of water.
Your bum will feel quite weird for a couple weeks!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Cheryl » 05 Apr 2007, 20:11

Hi Shelly
Welcome to the forum, and im glad youve come here and posted so we can help you get thru your recovery Image
The first few days are usually the worst after the LIS, but believe me it does get better.
I had the op back in October after suffering for 6years Image
I kept on lots of warm salt baths, aiming to keep the wound area super dry after wards, eating a good amount of fibre, fresh fruits and vegies, and ate no meat but increased my fish and white meat intake..
It has been afew days since your last post, how is your recovery going now?
Take care
Cheryl :kiss:
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Guest » 08 Apr 2007, 21:01

not feeling too bad still getting some pain, had to go back to the hospital on saturday as i have a infection, was given a antibiotic cream. I also have piles these have been very painfull since surgery, also am feeing itcy

Postby Guest » 09 Apr 2007, 12:39

Thanks for checking in Shelly! That is too bad you got an infection and piles. Have you had problems with them before or do they hurt more since the surgery.
The itchiness is a good sign that things are healing though. When I had my hemorrhoid surgery I was so happy when I started to get itchy (weird, I Know) because I knew healing was taking place.
Just wondering where you are from? It always helps us to know the country so others know of what treatments are being used in the area.
Talk to you later,
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Apr 2007, 19:10

Is the pain during the BM, or after? Lecia is right; the itchiness in all likelihood *is* a good sign!
Just try to keep your stools soft & fluffy (but still formed) for the next six-eight weeks and at least your fissure will heal.
At least it is good that you are feeling better! Keep us posted!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 10 Apr 2007, 07:36

hi
i am from north wales in the uk, have all ways has a problems with piles but it is much worst since lis, i am due to go bactk to work friday but am still getin alot of pain dont know weather its the piles or fissure or the lis all still very tender in that area.

Postby Guest » 10 Apr 2007, 07:47

I think you definitely need to be seen before you go back to work. Did the doctor recommend anything for the piles?
Do you know if you have internal or external piles?
Do you have to do a lot of sitting or standing in your job?
How is going to the bathroom for you? Are you able to go and get done or is there any straining or scraping? Any bleeding when you go?
How are you managing the pain?
Chat with you later,
Lecia

Postby Guest » 10 Apr 2007, 08:36

thanks lecia
the doctor at the hospital gave me some anusol hc, when i have a bowel movement i strain althought my movements are loose i think my piles are internal but worse since lis, my work is as a care pushing wheelchairs alot of standing and manual handling