LIS at last

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS at last

Postby chachacha » 15 Nov 2016, 11:13

I used to use loperamide on days when I had to attend a special event (like hosting Christmas dinner for the extended family!), but I also found that it didn't always work.

I hope that you can find a way to get your bowel to produce harder stools. I saw a news item recently that discussed tranferring gut bacteria from individuals who have good bowel function, into those who don't and it looked very promising. Who knows how long it will take for trials to be complete and the procedure offered to the general public, but it sounds like somthing that might work.

98 pounds is a HECK of a lot of weight to lose, so I hope that you can get this sorted soon.

Good luck!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Nov 2016, 12:13

Thanx chachacha,
I obviously really need to get this sorted soon as I don't see the fissure healing if I'm doing this every day or every few days.
Yes I have heard that one too I actually thought I would happily give that a try if it would work.
I was quite overweight to be honest but I agree it's really not good to lose so much weight in such a short period of time.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Mr Fissure » 15 Nov 2016, 15:45

Hi mypoorbutt,

Really sorry to hear you're having a rough day. There's not a lot of practical advice I can offer up, but if I know anything about you by now, it's that you're a fighter! Stay strong, and though it must be very difficult right now, try to stay positive. Might not seem like it today, but its early days and you WILL see better days again...

All the very best,
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Nov 2016, 15:52

Thanx Mr F,
I think I will feel better after a sleep...today has been awful still in pain at a 7 with very little respite all day so I'm admitting defeat and going to take two cocodamol to knock me out. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Fingers crossed
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Nov 2016, 03:07

Well that was bad...the spasms lasted 24 hours and a needed 2 doses of cocodamol to finally fall asleep. But this morning thankfully no spasms pain is around a 6 and the incision sight is very swollen and painful. Just a scone and a slice of toast again for me today.
Let's hope the pain starts to go down even just a bit
Mypoorbutt

Postby Savaici » 16 Nov 2016, 07:05

If they removed a hemorrhoid that could be an explanation for the excessive pain, MPB. I would ask, as peace of mind about that would be something. Do you have a Sitz Bath that goes over the loo bowl? I find that so good to use to relax the muscle.

Also, don't go overboard with the fibre. And drink the right amount of water too.

So sorry you are in pain :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Nov 2016, 07:44

Hi savaici,
Have tried to get in contact with my surgeon but had no luck so far...although I do think there is a hem missing lol.
Had a walk up to the shop again and it was still sore but thankfully no spasms pain is a 4 today apart from when I'm walking when it goes up to a 6.
I'm being super strict with the food today again, might be a bit braver tomorrow
Thanx
Mypoorbutt

Postby chachacha » 16 Nov 2016, 09:17

If you're experiencing more pain when walking, it could be your body's way of telling you not to. I've always found that with any injury (and the surgery has injured the tissue at both incision sites), you should listen to and heed its warnings. Also, I'm surprised that your release instructions didn't include the need for several sitz baths (or regular baths) per day, because the water helps to sooth those upset tissues and encourage them to heal, not to mention the warmth relaxing the sphincter and providing some pain relief. My own instruction booklet said that I should have 4 baths per day for two weeks, plus a bath after each movement. I totally understand your aversion to the tub though, because with both of my thrombosed hemmie episodes, I spent 72 hours in the tub before going to the emergency department. I slept and ate in there, and just kept re-filling it with hot water whenever it cooled down. I developed an incredible loathing of the tub after that, and really, really, really hated those four baths per day after my surgery, but knew that it was important to my healing, so I fully complied with the surgeon's directions on that front.

I really hate to see anyone suffering (as you still are), so hope that things improve for you soon.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Nov 2016, 10:21

I think I probably need to get in the bath more I did with the Botox but to be honest have only had one bath a day until yesterday when I had 3. I am putting the shower head on it at least 5 times a day for 2 mins at a time....I actually think I may have so e form of PTSD about the bath as when I even start to think about it I start to feel quite sick...it's very strange actually, but will make sure I go in twice a day at least from now on....yes the docs told me to have 3 a day. So I know I'm not doing what I should...just thinking about getting in now though is making me go all shaky.
Ironic as we are doing PTSD as the next module in my counselling degree maybe I can get some free therapy.
It's only been a week and I have a lot going on down there what with my hems and fissure and when you throw in my IBD and IBS there's no wonder 2 surgeons refused to do LIS.
But I wanted to try it and my surgeon said he has seen over 90% success even for people with my issues it just takes longer and the pain is more severe so guess I just need to suck it up breathe through it and pray it heals soon.
Thanx guys really do appreciate all your help and support
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Nov 2016, 14:37

Well thankfully no BM today has meant a decent day pain level mostly a 5 sometimes even a 4. Walking still uncomfortable. Had toast and a scone but no loperamide so will see what happens tonight.
I would just like to say thank you to everyone for all your encouragement as this is such a lonely thing to go through sometimes
Mypoorbutt