LIS in a week

Late forties male, AF of 1 year

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS in a week

Postby Mr Fissure » 03 Jun 2017, 05:57

Thanks for all your messages of support, guys, and helpful links!

Well, that was an interesting appointment ! CRS invited me in and asked how I'd been progressing and if I was better yet? When I replied 'I wouldn't exactly say that!' he was surprised, as with a partially healed fissure he was expecting a quick recovery (despite my adductor issues!).

He asked me to run through my symptoms; still couldn't sit, or do most normal daily activities, no exercise, walking above a snail's pace, etc. brought on a burning/pulling sensation, bending over - a sharper pain. I told him on the positive side, my bowel movements were now much easier, and that I felt the pressure from the IS was reduced, as it was now much easier to insert rectogesic/GTN...

He then examined me and I could feel him manipulating my anus to check everything, and where it was excruciating before the op, it was just mild discomfort now. And then without warning he pressed on something and I nearly shot through the roof! He then moved what I presume was his thumb slightly and repeated the trick a couple more times.

Turns out I've been dealing with a double whammy. As a result of my over-developed gluteal muscles from my sprinting days, I have for want of a better description a deep bum cleavage lol! This combined with possible swelling from the surgery, and my hairy arse( :naughty: !) means I've developed a condition called Pilonidal Sinus. Basically infected in-growing hair sac (or sacs - as he felt there may be several).

So I'm on a course of antibiotics (Erythromycin tabs) now and hopefully it will clear it up. If not, there is a topical cream to try, which is stronger, but has to be made up by the hospital to order. If that fails then the next stage is more surgery! :sadd: So keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come to that!

The great news though is that my incision site is healed and my fissure is apparently pretty much healed too! :cheers:

So as I said an interesting/unusual appointment. We were both a little taken aback for different reasons by developments, but I'm hoping things can now be resolved without the need for more surgery. I'm not taking my latest problem lightly, but I couldn't help feeling elated as I walked out of the office, that hopefully my AF issues are seemingly now resolved...

Incidentally, there is a Pilonidal Sinus Support Forum too, so maybe I ought to continue this thread over there now...!? :D :

https://www.pilonidal.org/xfforums/inde ... -forum.14/

Thanks again for all your support folks, I'll keep you posted less frequently now, but I've a follow-up appointment with my CRS on 30th June, when hopefully things will be clearer...
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mr Fissure » 03 Jun 2017, 06:57

Incidentally Jim, really sorry to hear your latest predicament - unfortunately, I know how you feel...!

Please let us know how your apptmt next Thursday goes.

Keeping my fingers X'd for you!
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jun 2017, 11:28

Wooohoooo MR F your fissure is pretty much gone that is amazing. :Rock:

On the other hand I'm sorry you now have another issue but hopefully it will heal pretty quickly now that you have some tablets for it then you can sort your abductor out and be good as new :D
Keep going and it's great there is a forum that will help with the new concern although fingers crossed it won't last long enough for you to need it

Well done you
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Mr Fissure » 03 Jun 2017, 14:09

Thanks mpb !

Yeah, I've had a sense of elation since last night, which was briefly interrupted this morning when I stumbled across the pilonidal bb and started to read some of the threads there! :affraid: Lets just say I stopped reading pretty quickly and for now am staying positive and keeping my fingers firmly crossed on the tabs working their magic!

Thank you again for all the support you've given me since i came on here, and in particular for introducing me to our super CRS. If I do need another op for my latest condition, the success rates are apparently lower, but MrB would be happy to do mine, which at least gives me confidence that I have as good a surgeon as possible in my corner...

Hope you're now happily living your life again and enjoying this wonderful early summer weather we've been having..

Take care,
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Jun 2017, 07:47

Don't read it lol it's probably a bit like any board where the ones who post most are the ones who suffer the most and have complicated cases
You have found out about it pretty quick and are already in a course of treatment with a very well respected surgeon. So if the worst happened and you needed an op I'm sure it would be a success. I bet those tablets start to work really soon
I'm good thanx had a walk round ripon yesterday and then a walk with my brothers bulldogs today. I'm doing well I had a flare Friday but didn't have any spasms just burning that was a massive surprise for me as that hadn't happened yet...it may not happen again but I'm taking it as proof the body always tries to heal itself no matter what
Mypoorbutt

Postby Jimbfree47 » 04 Jun 2017, 08:21

MPB curious but do you still have soreness when you sit? I am still having that not sure why. Fissure healed as far as I know . No blood discharge just skin tag at where the fissure was. Going to a Urologist on Thursday as Getting some burning after urinating in that area. Could be prostatitis could be pelvic floor muscles weak. Dont know very strange as it comes on only when sitting very wierd.
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Jun 2017, 10:09

Hi Jim
Only when I'm sat upright on a hard surface...chair bench something like that for more than an hour otherwise I'm okk sat down it has got slowly better
Mypoorbutt

Postby patience_and_healing » 04 Jun 2017, 11:10

Hey Mr. F, so sorry to hear that you have a new issue to deal with! Life just loves to throw curve balls doesn't it? My dad had this pilonidal sinus 6 years ago and so did one of my young cousins (male). My dad took longer to heal from the surgery, probably due to the surgeon's skill but eventually it did heal, and so did my cousin. Both are living life now without any butt issues. If you do have the surgery, (and I sincerely hope not!) it may be a good idea to get laser hair removal on the problem area so they can't cause any more trouble. That can prevent recurrence in the future. I do hope the antibiotics help this go away. A dermatologist could help you too, because if it's not infected they can give you a cortisone shot that will hopefully remove the inflammation. Take care Mr. F!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Jimbfree47 » 04 Jun 2017, 12:36

MPB I noticing now that after I urinate I feel that burning in the area when sitting. Could be a UTI. I will tell my Urologist about this. I know women are more prone to this but my symptoms point in that area. I think my problem now is in my urinary tract. Who knows lol
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Kv12 » 04 Jun 2017, 13:02

Mr F, what a relief for you. At least you have an answer and a way forward and you know that your surgery was a success. I've just bought some wax strips...I'll only offer to hold the mirror for you though :lol:
Kv12
Salt Bather

Topics: 1