My LIS Diary - March 2012 & fully healed in 4 weeks

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Re: My LIS Diary - March 2012 & fully healed in 4 weeks

Postby Davo » 16 Aug 2012, 08:38

So if you are having 3 BMs which are almost watery why did you try Miralax? The key is to keep them as soft as possible but not watery.
Are you eating just vegetables or are you taking fibre as well? My diet was pretty much always bran flakes or porridge for breakfast. Wholemeal sandwiches for lunch with a piece of fruit and fresh chunky vegetable style soups for evening meal with wholemeal bread again. I also used to eat a lot of fresh mango which is great for a super smooth BM :D I did also take one sachet of Movicol each day (UK equivalent of Miralax) and on most days my BM's had the texture of toothpaste.
I dont think it makes a difference to surgery whatever your diet is.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Strangeworldaf » 16 Aug 2012, 12:00

I tried Miralax but it gave me hard BM's, so i stopped and started MOM which is giving me 1 BM soft and other two watery. What do you think, if I lower the MOM dose and eat more boiled vegetables and fruits with wholemeal break(multi-grain) for lunch and dinner, also does it make sense to add one teaspoon of raw physillum husk at bed to add little bit of solidness to the watery BM's?
Thanks Much Davo.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Davo » 21 Aug 2012, 02:11

Hi Strangeworldaf,
Sorry for the delay (wedding preperations are a bit manic at the moment)
I am quite surprised that Miralax has given you hard BM's - I have never heard anyone report that before.
If your BM's are watery then you need to firm things up a little (Watery is not good). I would lower the dose of MOM and start incorporating more fibre into your diet, but yeah boiled vegetables are good, fruit is good (I found mango great), try some bran flakes or some wholemeal bread. I used to live on chunky soups when i had my fissure with a few slices of wholemeal bread dunked in. I also used to snack on dried fruits at work but always remember to drink lots of water when increasing the fibre in your diet.
Let me know how your're getting on
Davo
Davo

Postby Strangeworldaf » 21 Aug 2012, 18:35

Thanks Davo, I am going to try this tonight, Have you seen your BUM just after surgery? Does it looks like bruising and swelling? What is the best way to keep it clean?
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Davo » 29 Aug 2012, 05:57

POST LIS – Twenty four Weeks Post LIS
**I got married**
Fissure free with lots of booze and fine food - what started as a bad year is now the best one ever!
Davo
Davo

Postby Savaici » 29 Aug 2012, 09:18

Congratulations!!! I can recommend it - marriage, that is!
Great to hear that you're doing well. I always pass on your story to others here. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby SoreBum » 18 Sep 2012, 12:24

Thanks Davo, this thread is an excellent source of information, LOLz aplenty and the kind of positive vibe we all need when dealing with AF.
I'm just starting on my post-LIS recovery (as of today!), and hope it all goes as well as yours has :)
SoreBum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Davo » 18 Sep 2012, 23:11

Thanks for the messages guys
I'm three weeks into my marriage now and there is still no signs of divorce proceedings so I must be doing things right :D
I have also hit another milestone in that its six months since my LIS and i am pleased to say that i have nothing more to report. There has been days where i have gone without water and ate lots of junk food resulting in an extremely dry BM. I have had to strain on a few occasions but this has never caused me any problems.
As a general rule though i still stick to a diet with an increased fibre and water intake.
I hope you're all well today
Davo
Davo

Postby Davo » 12 Mar 2013, 15:20

POST LIS – ONE YEAR SINCE SURGERY
So I always said I would return one year after my LIS Surgery to give an update on my progress. The reason I said this is because most users only use the forum when things go wrong and rarely do we see the success stories.
So here I am one year down the line (well actually 363 days down the line) and my fissure should now be at 80% of it’s initial strength, which is the maximum it will return to.
I am happy to say that I have not had any further fissure complications during this time – I have had days of eating too much junk food, days of not drinking water, I’ve had dry BM’s and on some occasions even strained a little but as I type I am still fissure free.
I did on one occasion see the return of a hemorrhoid however I returned to my fissure diet for three days and it was gone again.
To be honest with my sphincter at 80% of it’s original state is just perfect as it was way too tight before my surgery and I believe this contributed to me having a fissure in the first place. Now I rarely have the urge to strain or push and going to the bathroom is a breeze.
I am back in the routine of playing sport, eating steak and enjoying drinks with friends. Some good has actually come from this fissure and that is an appreciation of the things everybody else takes for granted in life whether it be playing with the children, having a bottle of wine on a weekend or going out for dinner – life is good again. It has also changed my diet for the better, I eat lots of fibre, I drink more water, I exercise and I generally feel a lot healthier.
For me personally LIS was one of the best decisions I have ever made – it’s not for everyone and each individual persons circumstances will differ however if your surgeon has recommended it I wouldn’t hesitate to jump in with both feet.
I am hoping I will be back here in 12 months time to report the same
Davo
Last edited by Davo on 12 Mar 2013, 23:48, edited 2 times in total.
Davo

Postby delasama » 12 Mar 2013, 16:23

delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31