MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 25 Jul 2012, 14:36

Hi restoremybody!
I live in Charleston, SC.
Yes, my CRS is amazing. He is also unbelievably patient (I always go in with a looooooooooooong list of questions and he takes the time to answer each and every one of them). Yesterday, he had two emergency cases at a local hospital and after the first surgery was finished he rushed back to his office to do my surgery. Most CRS's would have probably canceled my surgery and had me reschedule, but he said he didn't want me to be in pain for even one more day. How cool is that?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 25 Jul 2012, 18:17

DAY 2
Well, today was a great day! It was largely uneventful and almost entirely pain-free. I didn't even have to take any pain medication. I keep asking myself: "Why did I wait so long to have the surgery?"
To be perfectly honest, I can't believe I actually had surgery yesterday! I was able to walk around today without any discomfort. I haven't have any drainage, leakage or any bleeding at all today, but I'm going to continue to wear a pad in my boxers for the foreseeable future. I did take a couple of baths just to make sure that everything down there stays nice and clean. I also had a little gas today, but it wasn't painful and I didn't had any problem holding it in.
I still haven't had a BM yet. I have continued to take Miralax (and probably will for life), so I'm hoping that I'll have the dreaded first post-op BM tomorrow. I don't feel boated at all, but I am used to having a BM every morning and had hoped that I would have one today.
I am still watching my diet and drinking lots of water.
Hopefully tomorrow will be another great day!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Badd825 » 25 Jul 2012, 19:34

Thank you this fissure
This is exactly what I need to hear. To be honest I received the paperwork for my EAU on Aug 3rd and I'm in a total panic. It says I may also need hemorrhoidectomy which I've heard is a nightmare recovery. I'm hopeful all I need is LIS. Reading about your recovery is helping me keep it together. I look forward to more posts about your recovery and how well youre doing!!!
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 25 Jul 2012, 21:38

Hi Badd825!
What are your symptoms?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Badd825 » 26 Jul 2012, 04:36

Hi Fissure,
My problems started when I had 2 clots removed from hemorrhoids back in December. I developed a constant ache and a burning stinging sensation. It doesn't get worse with a BM it's just there all day. The first CRS I saw thought it was sphincter spasms. He saw an external hemorrhoid but no fissure. He said I appeared very tight. He recommended LIS or Botox. I opted for the less invasive Botox. Had it in April with no relief. I wasn't crazy about this CRS so I went for a 2nd opinion. She was terrible but said she saw a fissure and an external hemorrhoid. She said wait three more months in pain and gave me brochures on fiber and pelvic floor dysfunction. She never did an internal exam. She looked at the area and said see you in 3 months. I finally found someone I like. He also saw an external hemorrhoid and internal ones also. He did not see a fissure and thought I might be having levator spasms. He prescribed Valium and nifidepine. It helped a little. He recommended an EAU and I'm hoping he'll find something he can treat. When I apply the ointment with a qtip there's a very specific spot that burns and stings. I don't think that could be spasms. Sometimes I just feel like someone kicked my rear with a steel tipped boot. I wish it was just clear cut and specific. I asked him to treat me like he would a family member as I have no idea what he'll be doing on me until it's over. Thanks for taking the time to post your recovery. It is a comfort
Badd825
Salt Bather

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Jul 2012, 07:07

Bad825:
Hmmmmmmmm . . . where do you feel the pain? At the base of the sphincter? Or higher up in the anus? The more specific you can be about the location of the pain, the better.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Badd825 » 26 Jul 2012, 07:22

It's on the left. Feels like the whole side. Achy stinging burning sensation. Btw the external hemorrhoid is on the right! The area that stings when I apply ointment is on the left and feels almost at the entrance. The ache goes up like an inch, inch and half. The stinging feels almost like a paper cut. Sound familiar?
Badd825
Salt Bather

Postby restoremybody » 26 Jul 2012, 08:29

Badd sounds like a fissure to me- I believe I have two- one which sort of healed on its own and the other feels like you describe- hurts like a pinch during bm or worse and if i touch feels raw/burning. May not be hemorrhoid- my GI doc said had small hemorrhoid- but CRS said tag from fissure. Don't lose heart- you may not need a hemorroidectmy- maybe just a simple LIS.
THisfissure- congrats on the progress!!! If only we could al be so lucky one day! I've been to SC- beautiful. Maybe i will have to fly down there and use your doc if mine don't go well. At this point i have no insurance but i would give up every material thing i have to be healed.
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Jul 2012, 08:59

Hi restoremybody!
Hopefully you will love your CRS! I had to go to three CRS's until I found one that I trusted completely. Obviously, I am glad that I kept looking. I know not having insurance sucks, but one of the main benefits of not having insurance is that you can go to any doctor you choose. I think finding the right CRS makes all of the difference in the world, even if it means traveling.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 26 Jul 2012, 11:55

thisfissure...
this is so inspiring to read about how well you are doing after your surgery! I so hope it continues this way and your recovery is smooth sailing from here on out.
Sending you positive, healing thoughts every day!
jr2

Topics: 15

Return to Fistula Success Stories