MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 29 Jul 2012, 11:55

Yes, my CRS has recommended that I take Miralax for life. He said if everyone took Miralax regularly, he would lose half of his patients.
From what I understand, while Miralax is technically a laxative, it is an osmotic laxative as opposed to a stimulant laxative. It works by gently drawing water into the colon which softens the stool so that it's easier to move through your system. It does not impair the function of the intestines, nor is it addicting like stimulant laxatives.
According to my CRS, it is safe for long-term use. Of course, your doctor may give you different advice. On the bottle, it does say not to use Miralax for longer than 7 days unless directed by a doctor.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 29 Jul 2012, 18:49

There are two things I want to add:
1. Today, 5 days after surgery, my BM was back to normal. It was soft, it came out quickly and the volume of the stool was back to pre-surgery levels.
2. I am no longer wearing a pad. I have no leakage or spotting, at all.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 30 Jul 2012, 09:26

I'm glad you are feeling better thisfissure! Long may it continue! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 31 Jul 2012, 11:19

Thanks Sue! I hope you are doing well and enjoying your holiday!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 06 Aug 2012, 14:03

2-WEEK POST-OP DOCTOR VISIT
Hi All!
I hope everyone is doing well!
I had my first post-op visit with my wonderful CRS this afternoon. He took a quick look and said everything is healing nicely!
He told me to start adding a little bit of fiber to my diet (a tablespoon of Konsyl powder daily) to bulk up my stool a little bit. I am also going to continue taking a daily dose of Miralax to keep everything nice and soft.
He also gave me a prescription for Nifedipine, which he wants me to use while everything heals. He is having me do this to make sure my "new and improved" sphincter hole stays nice and relaxed so that the fistula doesn't heal as another fistula. I actually don't mind using Nifedipine, due to the generous amounts of lanolin and petroleum jelly my pharmacist mixes in (which keeps everything "down there" nice and soft).
My CRS said that although my fistula was superficial, it was a little deeper than he initially thought it would be, which explains why he used stitches.
In any case, he was happy to hear that I am basically pain-free. I do continue to have a tiny bit of leakage, but he said that is completely normal considering everything I had done. To be honest, I probably wouldn't even notice it at all if I wasn't so obsessed about looking.
There is not much else to report. I am actually starting to feel like a normal person again! In fact, I'm having a hard time remembering what my pre-op pain used to feel like. Life is good!
I have another appointment with my CRS in two weeks. I will update again afterwards.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 07 Aug 2012, 10:29

One thing I did want to add: my CRS released me from any exercise restriction at my two-week post-op visit. I am now free to start running again! I was pleasantly surprised. Not too bad for two-weeks after surgery!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 20 Aug 2012, 15:22

4-WEEK POST-OP DOCTOR VISIT

Hi All!
I had my 4-week follow-up with my CRS today and he said everything is healing nicely.
Bowel movements are a breeze. They are completely effortless and pain-free. I can eat pretty much anything I want (I had pizza three nights this week!) without any problems whatsoever. Of course, I still take my beloved Miralax faithfully (a full dose a day), and I am taking a daily fiber supplement (Konsyl). Other than that, life is back to normal. I can't remember the last time I had any blood or leakage. Everything feels a little "looser" down there, which is nice.
My CRS wants me to continue to use Nifedipine for the next several weeks, just to help with the healing. I no longer take daily baths and can sit for any length of time necessary.
As I mentioned before, if I didn't know I had surgery, I wouldn't even know I had surgery.
Life is good!
Last edited by thisfissurecankissmybutt on 21 Aug 2012, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 20 Aug 2012, 18:12

thisfissure
Great news! So so happy to hear of your continued recovery. What a relief it must be to have seen so much progress in such a short time and to be feeling so good about life and eating again!
Congratulations!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Davo » 21 Aug 2012, 02:04

Great news about the pizza! :D
Glad to see you're doing well and that you are getting your life back
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 21 Aug 2012, 07:23

Thanks jr2 and Davo!
It feels so weird to feel so normal again!
If you are reading this and you are considering LIS and your doctor has recommended it, do not hesitate - schedule your surgery TODAY and get your life back!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to Fistula Success Stories