MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Jul 2012, 12:36

Thanks jr2!
I'll take all of the positive, healing thoughts I can get. I'll be sure and send some your way, as well!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Jul 2012, 13:38

Hey TFCKMB,
Great to hear it's all been finally done, all went well and you're doing so well 2 days post-op Image
Truly hope that your progress continues as smoothly as poss! Did you have that first dreaded BM yet?? (Which really isn't that bad!)....Just think "Mr Whippy" (LOL) and keep doing all the stuff you know you have to do!!
Don't go running any marathons just yet!!!....
Keep updating.... :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Jul 2012, 15:51

DAY 3
Last night, I got a good night's sleep. I was completely pain-free. I dreamt of rainbows and butterflies and pizza and chocolate and steak and long bicycle rides and painless bowel movements.
And then this morning I woke up with an urge to go to the bathroom! That's right. I had my first post-op BM, less than 48 hours after surgery! And . . . it wasn't bad at all! The BM was soft, like melted ice cream (due to Miralax, lots and lots of water and my medication).
To be honest, I did have some post-BM burning. I would say it was a 1 or 2 on the pain scale. I took 1 Ultram and 1 Celebrex and within a few minutes the burning went away.
It did take quite a while for me to complete the BM. I usually have a BM every single morning. I am usually done in less than a minute. However, this morning, it took about 15 minutes to complete, as a little came out at a time. There was no noticeable blood with the BM. However, I did notice some VERY minor pink spotting on my pad that I noticed before my BM. I wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't been looking.
After the BM, I hopped in the shower and used the detachable shower head to clean off. I then took a 30 minute hot bath. Then I hopped in the shower again to make sure I was very clean. After that, I used the hair dryer (on the cool setting) to dry everything off.
Prior to surgery, I had lots and lots of irritation around my anus. However, since the surgery, I have not had any itching or irritation at all.
Today is the first day I dared to take a look at the surgery site. Since my fissure and fistula were a little higher up in the anus, I couldn't see anything. There was no external bruising or even any sign that I had surgery. Either my CRS is REALLY, REALLY good or I have a magical ass!
I did take it pretty easy today. I lounged around the house and watched some reruns of HOUSE. I even took a little nap this afternoon. I get a little dizzy when I am walking around, probably due to the FLAGYL (antibiotic) my CRS is having me take. I still don't think I would be very comfortable sitting for a long period of time, so I spent most of the day laying on the bed or the couch, or standing. With the exception of not being able to sit, I could have returned to work today if I wanted to.
All in all, I am very happy with my post-op recovery so far. As I mentioned before, I keep asking myself: "Why did I wait so long to have this surgery?"
I will update again tomorrow.
I'm also happy to answer any questions you might have.
FYI - I use the pain scale introduced by Davo (with some minor tweaking) in one of his posts on this forum, as follows:
0: NO PAIN - You are either healed, here to support others, have stumbled upon this website by accident or are a sick pervert that gets turned on by reading about other people's butt problems.
1: MILD ANNOYANCE - You are mostly symptom free. You may get a slight twinge when moving around or passing gas. Pain is only noticeable when you are thinking about it. No pain medication is needed.
2: ANNOYANCE - It’s not really painful, but may be a slight discomfort, itching, burning or you’re getting a buzzing effect. It may feel like you are healing. The discomfort is noticeable even when you are not focusing on it, but the pain isn't disruptive. Pain medication isn't required, but you may take it anyway.
3: MILD DISCOMFORT - Your pain is bearable and it may be intermittent. Pain is starting to be disruptive. Mild pain medication is likely required to relieve the pain.
4: DISCOMFORT - Your pain is giving you grief, but it's bearable and pretty constant. You can walk and function, but with medium discomfort. Pain medication is required.
5: MAJOR DISCOMFORT - You can go about daily life, but it’s not much fun. Pain medication is required, but may only take the edge off.
6: PAIN IN THE ASS - You can attend work but you can JUST perform your normal daily tasks but at a slower pace. You are constantly shifting in your seat trying to find a comfortable position, but you can never find it. You cry at the drop of a hat. Pain medication barely helps.
7: VERY PAINFUL - Attending work is borderline. You walk like a penguin. It is painful to sit down. Pain medication doesn't do much good.
8: EXTREMELY PAINFUL - You are NOT able to work. You can barely walk a few steps. Pain medication is useless.
9: UNBEARABLY PAINFUL - You are unable to function properly. You are laid up in bed all day and need to see a doctor SOON. Pain relief isn't even in your vocabulary.
10: ABSOLUTE HELL - Off to the emergency room! The only pain relief you want is to be put out of your misery. You would sell your soul to be pain-free.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Jul 2012, 22:39

DAY 3 (UPDATE CONTINUED FROM EARLIER POST)
I had another BM this evening (#2 since the surgery). I usually only have one BM a day, so that was kind of a surprise. However, it was completely painless! I think being completely relaxed on the toilet is the key. I listen to music and read a magazine, which distracts me from thinking about the BM too much. The stool was soft and unformed, but not runny or explosive like diarrhea. It did take a while for it all to come out, even though there wasn't very much. There wasn't any visible blood on the stool or in the toilet.
One thing I did notice today is that I can feel the stitches every once in a while. It's not painful, but I was a little surprised that I could feel them. I also looked at my butt again in the mirror and saw some drainage, which my CRS said was to be expected.
After BM #2, I felt great and went shopping for a couple of hours (I was going a little stir crazy hanging around the house). Even the car ride was painless. I did sit on a foam donut, however, which has turned out to be the best purchase I have made all year. Here is the link for the foam donut on Amazon, if anyone is interested:
http://www.amazon.com/BodySport-Products-Donut-Cushion-Large/dp/B001M1EHPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1343363634&sr=1-1&keywords=bodysport+ring+cushion
It comes in three different sizes. I bought the small one and the large one.
I hope everyone is having a pain free day!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Arafat » 27 Jul 2012, 04:04

Hey thisfissurecankissmybutt! I just read all ur posts and i'm really happy that ur recovery has gone off without a hitch so far:)
Plz be careful tho! Don't go overboard with activity or you'll have to take a step backwards. After my anal fistula and LIS surgery (done in one whole surgery a few months back), i just lay abt the house for a week before i started moving around! This i feel made my recovery problem free.
Anytime i DID have probs, i just rushed off to this board and asked fabulously helpful ppl like hopetoheal and others. They helped me more than any other person during that time and i really really mean that!
Even now, almost 5-6 months after surgery, i use a blow dryer to air off after BM's. When i touch the area of the LIS, i do feel a bit of coarseness (maybe scar tissue). But it doesnt really bother me; my BM's are comfy and i drink lots of water. Also keeps away the pesky kidney stones that i've had for 2 consecutive yrs! I used ispagula n a stool softener for abt a month after surgery but have so far stayed away after that.
Anyways, plz let me know if you need any advice at all. Your posts will definitely help a lot of future sufferers! God Bless!
Arafat
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Jul 2012, 10:14

Hey TFCKMB, :)
Thanks for listing the pain scale! I've not seen that before and it really gives me something to relate any pain to.....Hope your time is continuing to be pain-free!! That really is great....
Now I feel I can rate myself as officially at 1.5 with a couple of occasions a 3 (but this seems to be whilst passing a stool and slightly after)....
Arafat - Did you continue to experience mild discomfort too after your op? I'm now 5 weeks post-op, fistula site almost nothing to see, no discharge, bleeding etc. just a soreness at times??? I'm sure it's still healing but just hoping you can input too :)
Good luck to us all Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 27 Jul 2012, 10:39

Arafat:
Thanks for the advice! I'm so used to going 100 miles an hour it's hard sometimes to slow down. I guess that's one of the downsides of being a Type A personality.
I'm also really interested in hearing your response to ETO's questions.
ETO:
I really have to stop saying so many nice things about people on here or everyone is going to think I'm a little weird, but Davo is a genius! Before seeing his pain scale, I had a hard time charting my pain on a daily basis as I really didn't have a standard to go by. After I saw his pain chart, I started keep track of my pain score every single day. It really helped me see how I was doing over time.
Thanks Davo!
What would we do without this forum?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Jul 2012, 10:59

TFCKMB,
Yes I know what you mean - it's like everyone on this site offering you support is like your unknown best buddy!! I'm the same so guess that makes me strange too! WEIRDOS united!!.......Speak to you soon :)
Davo!!! - THANKYOU for the pain chart. Very helpful :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby Arafat » 27 Jul 2012, 11:01

To Ever the Optimist:) I did have mild discomfort for abt a month and 2 weeks after surgery, but it eased up magically after that. Improvement was rapid, and quite soon i stopped checking THE AREA with a mirror every day:D
I did have discharge for abt a month after surgery (minor) but it stopped after that. So, i'd say ur healing quite nicely. I think some posters told me then that it takes almost a yr for that area to feel COMPLETELY normal again, but after 4-6 weeks, nothing should bother u anymore! If ur on stool softeners, i'd suggest you slowly move away from it. Water intake is crucial, cuz sometimes with constipation, the healing area can get aggravated. My doc examined me after abt a month or so and said i needed no more visits cuz the site had healed.
My doc n some posters here had advised me then to wipe at the fistula wound with a gauze pad after every BM so that unhealthy skin did not develop on the wound site. I did that for almost a month, and then stopped the wiping and sitz baths cuz i felt HEALED. This is ALL an ordeal but it feels SO comforting to be with people who're also experiencing that and can share in ur recovery (good and also those minor blips). Thank GOD for this forum:)
Arafat
Salt Bather

Postby Arafat » 27 Jul 2012, 11:13

I just wanted to post this link here where i talk abt my fistula n LIS surgery with updates, almost daily, on my recovery and the setbacks and the entire process! Hope someone gets helped by this....
http://anal-fissure.org/t4138-all-set-for-anal-fistula-surgery
Arafat
Salt Bather

Return to Fistula Success Stories