MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Jul 2012, 12:01

Thanks for that Arafat. So great to follow someone else's progress......
I was really interested to reading in your posting about how you had some discomfort, possibly due to scar tissue later in your healing. The area to me feels a lot "tighter" now and when I pass a stool (always very soft) it can still be a little painful, sometimes more than others...so wondering if something similar possibly? Is that the stage when you started to wipe with the gauze for a few weeks?
How many months since your op now? and how does it all feel?
Thanks so much for posting your link and offering some reassurance. I'm certainly feeling helped by it!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 27 Jul 2012, 12:06

ETO:
I know you mentioned you feel a little "tight." Do you ever have to strain at all to have a BM?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Arafat » 27 Jul 2012, 12:13

Ur welcome! I know that during the healing process there are so many concerns one may have!
I started wiping with baby wipes and gauze pads within a few days of having the surgery. Intially, when the stool would come out i didnt feel pain, but yes i cringed a little bit. Of course, it was a little sore afterwards! The site feels tight for some time after surgery, and any uncomfortable BM aggravates it! So please give up ur water intake and stay away from spicy food for at least another month! If ur exudate is not overly smelly and there is no significant pain, i dont think you have to worry abt infection; It is probably scar tissue which will ease up significantly over the nxt few weeks.
the golden time is 6 weeks! After that, you will slowly forget that something was ever wrong 'back' there! I had the surgery on the 14th of Jan, so its been more than 6 months now. I feel GREAT, but still the site doesnt feel 100%. There is still a bit of hardness when i feel it, but then again its probably scar tissue that will completely get soft n disappear over a yr's time! Dont worry abt that at all!
*Do NOT strain during the healing process or afterwards! The incision site or the wound site should not be disturbed.
Arafat
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Jul 2012, 13:43

Hi again,
Thanks for such a quick response both!
TFCKMB : No, I never "strain" although sometimes it's tempting, maybe I have given a little internal "push" now & again but nothing forceful......Normally my stools are just so great, they come out very easily. Image !
Arafat, thanks again for great advice. I'm not worried about infection as I'm not displaying any symptoms and don't even get the exudate. The discomfort is moderate. It just feels a bit tight, like a gentle pulling sensation there sometimes and soreness.....
6 weeks will be the end of next week, so looking forward to reaching that milestone!........Will defo update at that point!!
So glad to heal you have nearly recovered so well! That's great and thanks again for your reassurance :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 27 Jul 2012, 20:28

DAY 4
Well, knock on wood, today was another GREAT day!
I had another good nights sleep last night. I woke up this morning and promptly had my morning BM. It was painless and bloodless (at least as far as I could tell). I did have a little burning afterwards, but it only lasted for a couple of minutes. My BM was soft, but still pretty small compared to normal (i.e., not much comes out). I'm guessing it's because my body is still trying to recover from the two enema's I used on Tuesday. It also took a little while for everything to come out (about 10 minutes, which allowed me to get caught up on some reading).
Today I had the most gas I've had since surgery. A couple of farts did slip out before I had a chance to tighten my cheeks, but fortunately nobody was around. I also had some very minor itching a couple of times today.
I lounged around the house for much of the day, but went out for dinner (pizza!), did some shopping and visited with some friends for a couple of hours.
I took two long baths today, just to make sure everything was nice and clean. I didn't notice any spotting on my pads.
I took 1 Ultram after my BM, but I really don't think I needed it.
There isn't much else to report. To be honest, I feel pretty normal at this point. I wouldn't say I feel 100%, but I feel pretty close to 100%. If I didn't know I had surgery, I wouldn't know that I had surgery. Of course, it could all change tomorrow so I am just VERY thankful that my recovery has been a breeze so far. I'm thoroughly enjoying having my life back. I hope this is an encouragement to anyone else who may be considering surgery. I really think finding an amazing CRS has made all the difference in the world. I go back to see him in 10 days, so hopefully I'll get a good report (fingers crossed!).
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 27 Jul 2012, 23:50

this is the most wonderful news! I am so so happy for you, so happy to hear the bounce that is back in your step. Keep taking really good care of yourself!(as I know you will)
jr2

Topics: 15

Successful Surgery

Postby sciencefxx » 28 Jul 2012, 09:13

I have been following the posts on this site for several weeks and wanted to share the success that I have had with LIS surgery. Like many of you I suffered excruciating pain that would last for hours after having a BM. Initially, I had pain when I pooped as well. Over time with conservative treatment that pain improved. However, the pain that I had afterwards increased and so did the duration of time it lasted. Some days I would be housebound all day and many days I cried just wanting to feel normal again.
Good news- I saw my CRS on June 17 and underwent several weeks of conservative treatment that did not work. When he asked me if I was tried of my butt ruling my life I knew I needed to schedule the surgery and regain my life.
I had surgery on July 16 and have had no pain since then. I had some discomfort for the first couple of days, but nothing like before the surgery.
My CRS performed the LIS surgery, cleaned up the scar tissue around my fissure and removed the skin tag associated with it. I only took pain meds for the first day and then Advil for several days. I also took stool softeners, ate fiber and drank at least 80 oz of water a day so my stool has remained soft.
I was scared to death to have my first BM, but I'm happy to report that I did not have pain then or since. I did have one day about four days after surgery when the poo was right there and I just didn't want to strain to push it out so I called the CRS office and was told I could give myself a fleet, (saline enema),; it worked with just a little burning the following day.
I would highly recommend finding a qualified CRS and having the surgery. When I went to my follow up appointment he asked me if I had a happy hiney and I was smiling from ear to ear. Yes, I'm happy and well on my way to normal. I'm still taking a stool softener and drinking lots and lots of water. I know it's scary, but I can tell you that for me the surgery has given me back my life :D
sciencefxx

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 28 Jul 2012, 09:18

Hi Sciencefxx!
Thanks for posting your surgery experience! I'm glad you have a happy butt now!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 28 Jul 2012, 17:11

DAY 5
Hi Everyone!
Well, this is going to be my final daily update unless there is a significant change in my condition.
Otherwise, I'll just start sounding like a broken record. Otherwise, I'll just start sounding like a broken record. Otherwise, I'll just start sounding like a broken record. Otherwise, I'll just start sounding like a broken record. Otherwise, I'll just start sounding like a broken record.
I think you get the point.
I will post an update after my two-week, four-week and six-week follow-up with my CRS.
To be honest, there is nothing new to report today (which is a good thing!). I had another great day. I woke up and had another painless, bloodless BM. I haven't noticed any spotting for days. It can be a challenge to clean-up after a BM, but with a little patience it isn't difficult. Post-BM pain is practically non-existent. Getting in and out of bed, or in and out of the car, is painless. I still sit on my cushioned donut, but I think it is unnecessary. I went out for several hours today, but I did relax this afternoon (but that's just because I can). I can pretty much eat whatever I want, although my diet has changed forever and I am making much better choices now. I do plan on taking Miralax for life on the advice of my CRS. I'm going to ask my CRS at my two-week visit if I should start increasing my fiber.
I hope everyone on here finds their way to healing! If you decide to have surgery, I doubt you'll be sorry. In fact, it was the best decision I ever made. I know it can be scary, but I think living with the daily fear of a fissure is even scarier. LIS gives you a fighting chance to put your fissure "behind you" once and for all.
In my opinion, I wouldn't be too concerned about the negative stories you read about LIS. According to my CRS, the vast majority of people who have LIS by a board-certified CRS have an experience very similar to mine (and remember, I had TWO procedures at the same time - LIS and fistula repair). My CRS said the risk of incontinence is nearly non-existent if you use a board-certified CRS.
To be honest, I don't think people that have a great experience with LIS spend the time to come back here to post their success story - they just move on with their lives (and who could blame them?). However, those that have a negative experience do come back here, which can give everyone a skewed view of LIS.
I'm not a doctor (otherwise, I would be driving a MUCH nicer car), but the best piece of advice I can give you? Find a great board-certified CRS that you trust, and if they recommend LIS, don't hesitate - go for it and get your life back!
Last edited by thisfissurecankissmybutt on 06 Aug 2012, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby andyk123 » 29 Jul 2012, 10:02

glad to hear you are doing so well.
do you think you will stick to miralax even if you go months or years with no pain? i really dont like the idea of drinking laxatives and prune juice for the rest of my life but i am scared to stop
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Return to Fistula Success Stories