Owmybum s flap diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Owmybum s flap diary

Postby owmybum » 23 Aug 2014, 13:11

Suzy... I went into hospital thinking I was having a house flap. Once I was under my surgeon decided to get rid of scar tissue and do an internal flap, which entailed flapping skin from above the fissure down over it and stitching along the bottom.

I think you and I are one of a kind, as I can't seem to find anyone who has had a flap like mine.

Thankyou apes xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby asdf123456 » 23 Aug 2014, 13:42

Sorry to hear you're still hurting. I'm very much hoping that you heal up completely in the next few weeks, but I hope you're comforted to know that a traditional flap procedure is still available if needed. There's still hope yet for us both, but I really am sorry this wasn't a miracle cure for you.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby suzyljank » 23 Aug 2014, 14:57

The closest I can get to the type of flaps I had would be figure "F" in this link:
http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/full/v1 ... 1-g001.htm
I believe it's called a "U" flap. My doctor told me not every flap is good for every person. I'm glad I had the surgery though. It helped me so much. I'm not 100% and probably never will be because of all the trauma my bottom has been through but I'm grateful I can have a pretty normal bm now and most of the time I do well. I sometimes still get a little burning discomfort and that's usually when I've had too many bms or diarrhea or when pelvic floor muscles are acting up. The new tissue gets irritated easily and I think it's because I had 2 flaps done. I hope you find a resolution soon. You've waited so long.

All the best Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby owmybum » 23 Aug 2014, 16:50

Very interesting link Suzy, thanks. I think mine looks like an A ... A flap coming down from the inside.

Suzy, did you have a fissure at the time of your surgery or was it just for your stenosis?
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby owmybum » 23 Aug 2014, 16:58

Asdf,
Thanks for the encouragement... But at the moment I don't even want to consider more butt surgery. I'm just going to wait and see. I have decided to give it a chance to heal now it has no scar tissue.... I'll let mr w know what has happened and just see him at my follow up appointment in oct.

In the mean time it's back to the sofa and box sets/ books and my poor husband running ragged doing the house work cooking and kids!! I owe him big time !

How are you doing?? Have you come to any decisions??
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby suzyljank » 23 Aug 2014, 17:03

Hi, I had stenosis with a deep fissure. My fissure had healed and torn over and over and that contributed to more scarring. That fissure was the second one I had. I had one years ago at the 12 o'clock position but that one healed up at about 8 weeks. My last fissure was at the 6 o'clock position and I had that for over 5 years before I had the flaps done. It would have never healed on it's own. Now that you have fresh skin and no scar tissue you may just heal on your own. Wishing you luck. Hope this helps. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Rachael 1984 » 24 Aug 2014, 07:36

Hi OMB.
I'm really sorry there are problems..... Please keep positive. It's hard I know, but give a little more time as you said to see if you start to heal. Definitely see what Mr W says......

:smilyhug: :smilyhug: :smilyhug: :smilyhug: :lovepage:
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby asdf123456 » 24 Aug 2014, 09:07

Yes now this the time to wait and see and hope that it will turn out alright. I had surgery B on the chart back in February, and I've recently had a 2 surgeons suggest something like D or E as a reflap, and one surgeon suggest surgery A. I'm going to see a plastic surgeon on Tuesday who my CRS invited for another opinion. It's been 6 months since that flap surgery, and 3 months since kenalog. It's time for me to move on to a new surgery, as much as it pains me to consider it.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby owmybum » 24 Aug 2014, 13:35

Thankyou lovely Rachael xxxxx

Asdf... Good luck for Tuesday... I really hope you get some positive way forward. Looking at all the flaps, the one that looks the best to me is the house. It seems to cover a bigger area. The one I had clearly has the fissure poking out the bottom..... Maybe that's what can be seen.?

Bm was very painful today, as expected. The pain has lasted all day, but I have had company today, so a good chat and a laugh has done me the world of good. I even managed to sit at the table with everyone for tea tonight.... All be it on a cushion, on one bum cheek !! I am taking a painkiller that contains both ibuprofen and paracetamol and that is taking the edge off.

OMB x
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby woundedspirit » 24 Aug 2014, 21:07

So happy you were able to enjoy the company of others. It made me happy that you had a chance to laugh if even for a little while! My go to pain management is lidocaine 5% ointment, pain meds and soaking. Are you allowed to soak yet? Just had a few questions for you. If I understand correctly they took tissue from the rectal canal above the fissure and brought it down over the fissure and sutured it? Then sutured together to donor site? And removed scar tissue. Did you have stenosis as well? When I consulted with my surgeon I asked him if I would have a house flap. He told me the most important thing for me was to have as little surgery and the least invasive surgery as possible and still fix the fissures and stenosis. So he never really told me what the name of the surgery would be. And maybe these are questions best left to a time when you are feeling better. No worries if you are not up to thinking about it right now. Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping that it is only more healing time that is needed in order to call you surgery a success!
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12