My Diary...

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: My Diary...

Postby mmklinemm » 19 Jun 2014, 10:58

I'm so glad you're feeling better! Hopefully your 2-week break from work will allow you to heal some.

Do you mind if I ask why you checked with your finger to "have a feel around"? I see that a lot of people on here do that. I worry that it would cause me added trauma. I apologize if my question is rude and too forward. I'm new to this world of pain and I'm trying understand.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Fissurefrustration » 19 Jun 2014, 11:05

That's ok! ask anything :) I'm not an expert but there are plenty of people on here who know their stuff! Personally, I do it routinely as I use a lot of topical creams in that area so the only effective way to get them to the right spot is with my fingers (with my nails very trimmed!!) also it helps if your wondering if you have hemmis, that way if you feel anything strange you can flag it with your Dr prior to his or her PR exam on you so they know where to feel/palpate. (if pain allows it!)
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby mmklinemm » 19 Jun 2014, 19:06

Thanks for explaining! I'm not that brave, and I'm not worried about hemorrhoids - I think I'll keep my finger out of there for now. Now that I've jinxed myself, that will probably be the next painful experience in store for me!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Re: My Diary... Seen my CRS

Postby Fissurefrustration » 08 Jul 2014, 04:11

Hey gang.

Saw my CRS today from my urgent appointment! He was a lovely doctor and understood where I was coming from. He's booked my flexi sig and given me options what may happen after if they find the fissure is bad or if i have hemmis etc, he did mention sclerotherapy too. The only odd thing was that he didn't actually examine me. I guess he will find out when I get admitted!

Just waiting for my date to come through now

J

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Postby Flaneur » 08 Jul 2014, 06:25

FF is the sclerotherapy for the hems if they find them?
How do you think the wheatgrass and honey are helping?
Glad your CRS is nice, it makes such a difference to feel heard, and like they care!
Flaneur
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Post Sclerotherapy/Flexi sig

Postby Fissurefrustration » 12 Aug 2014, 16:55

Dear everyone....

Here is finally a new update.

So yesterday I had my flexi sigmoidoscopy which showed "redness" to the walls of my lower colon which they've taken biopsies from and they've also found 4 hemorrhoids which my CRS has injected (sclerotherapy)
I had 2mg midazolam IV as I was so nervous about the pending pain and I was glad to have it even though it was still uncomfortable and a bit painful.

I'm day one post injection and I've not opened my bowels yet... and still feeling residual pain from the injection sites so I guess it's just a waiting game now until I go to the loo. Dreading it!

On the positive side he said my AF has healed however he refused to listen to me about my skin tag which is still causing me irritation and said not to worry about it - charming!

J x

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Dilatiazem
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

post Sclerotherapy / Flexi sigmoidoscopy

Postby Fissurefrustration » 12 Aug 2014, 16:56

duplicate post
Last edited by Fissurefrustration on 09 Nov 2014, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Dilatiazem
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Postby Fissurefrustration » 09 Nov 2014, 07:01

Ok so an update. As you may or may not know I had sclerotherapy on my piles which helped but I feel I'm going back down hill. I have a GP appointment next saturday and I'm dreading what they will say to me. I'm not getting any blood on my stool but I had a look in the mirror (working on my flexibility!) and I pulled back my sentinel pile and saw a horrific fissure there, it looks chronic and I think that's where my pains coming from. my pain comes when I conciously tighten my sphincter when sat or when I turn one way or the next in bed or when looking at something. the act of one cheek moving the other seems to give me a short stab of pain!! the BM itself is no way as painful as it used to be which I'm greatful for but I doubt I will ever be normal again.
things I've tried:
Vit E suppository - good, felt comfortable to use but of no noticable benifit
Fibre tablets - added bulk to stool but again - no real help
Laxido powder - helped to relieve constipation
Aloe Vera gel - felt good to start with but then skin around sphincter got sensitive to it and came up in rash. had to stop
Coconut oil - one of my faves to use, it's soothing and keeps skin soft
Showers - fab way to rinse off after a BM but if one of the jets hits the 'sweet spot' of a fissure its as if someone has just stabbed me down there with a very old rusty knife. need to be careful there
Manuka honey - again a good cream - doesn't make anything better but keeps it moisturized and feels soothing.
anusol cream - loved this! but skin developed a reaction :(
dr wheatgrass - works well but again my cheeks ended up getting a bad reaction making me itch for days. (even though I applied in the anus it ended leaking out through walking around

I never really understood dilating but I gave it a go the other day and safe to say it didn't end well. ended up in lots of pain and a very VERY tight sphicter.

Not sure where I go from here, I think I've tried everything and I point blank refuse LIS. *sigh* it really feels like there is no hope for me.

J x

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Dilatiazem
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Postby suzyljank » 09 Nov 2014, 09:51

Hi, I'm so sorry you're in pain. Skin tags "sentinel piles" are usually a result of a fissure. They form to protect the fissure. Usually when the fissure heals the skin tag shrinks, it never goes completely away though. Most doctor won't remove them because of the open wound this causes and if you're not healing from a fissure they don't want to add to this situation. Keeping the area clean and dry helps but if your doctor missed such a large ulcer I would probably get a second opinion. Also any kind of hemmie treatment can cause pain and that's an awful pain so give that some time. I know lot of people here have gotten botox for their fissure and some have had success, but if you have a chronic fissure the success rate goes way down because a long term wound like a fissure builds up scar tissue from repeatedly healing and tearing. Scar tissue doesn't stretch that's why you retear. I've also noticed that although LIS has been the standard surgical treatment for a fissure that won't heal, more and more doctors are using the flap technique now. All of these treatments work better the sooner you see a doctor and get them done though. Whatever you do don't give up, if you have to, find another doctor and get all your options. As for dilation, I've been doing it since my surgery 19 months ago. It takes a while to get the hang of it and you always start out slow, with a small dilator and lots of lubrication. The purpose of dilation is to keep the muscle and any new scar tissue stretched. When you have scar tissue you have 2 years to stretch it after that it won't stretch anymore. If your stools are very narrow or diarrhea you're not stretching the skin and then when you try to pass a relatively normal sized stool you tear. The pediatric dilators are the best ones. They go up to 19mm. I use the 19mm one, but on occasion I've used the 17 and 18mm. You're supposed to feel some resistance when you insert it, that's what's stretching the muscle. If you can insert it too easily it's too small. But when you're first getting started it's alright to start out small until you figure out what's the most comfortable way for you to do this. Hope this helped. All the best Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Fissurefrustration » 15 Nov 2014, 04:13

Been to my gp today. And I think it will be the last time. She saw me come in and she looked like she was trying to work out what to say to me right from the word go! I sat down and talked through my journey right from day one 2 years ago!! I told her exactly where my AF is and what my symptoms were. She examined me and said my skin looked red raw and thinks I have a fungal skin infection so has px me more steroidal cream. She then looked for my AF and it didn't take her long. All she said was "oh dear"and explained that the only option left really is LIs and I don't want that! So I've come away feeling very defeated, in pain from the examination and deflated with yet another tube of GTN cream. I'm so close to giving up on everything.

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Dilatiazem
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration