Buttox Diary

Developed a fissure after giving birth 10 months ago

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Buttox Diary

Postby Newmommy28 » 13 Aug 2014, 19:36

Thanks, Alyssa. Yes, I certainly am thankful for that! I know I have done everything I can so this does feel like the next step.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Jbl22424 » 13 Aug 2014, 23:06

My doc had said to give Botox a month before giving up on it so you could always wait just a bit longer. But of course I think surgery is great and would definitely recommend it.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Keesia » 14 Aug 2014, 02:58

I'm sorry that Botox hasn't work. I understand the surgery is something we don't want to go through. I wish you the best so you heal one way or another.
Keesia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Newmommy28 » 14 Aug 2014, 07:50

Thanks, Keesia. I hope you are feeling better?

Jbl- My doctor seems to think I would have noticed the first week if it were to help. I'm not giving up on it completely but I don't want to wait too long to move forward. I feel like I just want to get the surgery over with so I can start the healing process! My son's 1st birthday is almost 1 month away and my wish is that I can celebrate without feeling any pain. :(
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Apes » 14 Aug 2014, 08:16

Newmommy, I'm sorry it's not working. I wonder how much Botox he gave you, was it 50 units. All my research showed that larger doses result in higher success rates. A little slipped out gas is a small price to pay for healing and again with Botox it's all temporary till it wears off. If I was to give advise I would only have Botox if the doctor was willing to give more then 50 units. I had around 76 units in total. I hope things get better for you and you do have other options.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby owmybum » 14 Aug 2014, 14:35

Sorry to hear the Botox isn't working for you. It's really deflating to hear that news.... And of course you want to be able to enjoy your son without being in agony. If they say surgery is your answer... I would go for it.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Newmommy28 » 23 Aug 2014, 08:06

Hi, everyone!

This may be my last update to this diary. If I decide to do surgery I will most likely start a new thread.

Just an update as to how I'm doing: The beginning of this week I was still having pain - some slight stinging while going and then light-ish spasms an hour after. I think around Thursday the spasms and stinging stopped (that would have been Day 22 post-Botox). I'm not doing anything different with my diet. Still taking a capful of Miralax each night (I was doing a half dose but went back to this). I can't attribute my doing any better to the Botox. This is what usually happens to me and has been happening off and on since April/May. I'll have a few weeks of spasms and pain, then a couple weeks feeling "normal" with no pain. I'm expecting the spasms to come back in a week or so since that's what tends to happen to me.

For those who are considering doing Botox: it certainly is nice having that as an option prior to committing to surgery which is a permanent procedure we are all a little fearful of. My fissure was pretty horrific in the beginning, but I was told at a check-up in June that it had become very small, similar to a paper cut. I even had a doc tell me she wouldn't do surgery on me if I asked because it looked like it would heal on its' own (she was wrong). I was very hopeful Botox injections would heal me. From hearing others' experiences with the injections I realize my CRS didn't inject me with enough (he only did 50 units). Their practice doesn't inject more than that because that is where issues with incontinence play in. Now, I certainly could go to another practice, one that injects more units, but I'm not going to do that. I really like this doctor (he's the 4th opinion I've gotten). He has about 30 years experience, was confident without being cocky, and told me exactly how it is. I think finding a good doctor you trust is key to all this. The fact that he didn't use more units also makes me think that he would be conservative when doing the surgery, so I'm not as afraid of incontinence as a result of that.

I'm not going to do Botox again. I'm certainly not discouraging anyone else from trying it. The injections hurt but are tolerable. I would recommend having someone around to help you the next day if you can. It does feel like you've been kicked in the rear for the 1st week! But if it helps, it's worth it.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather