New here - AF after first child.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here - AF after first child.

Postby PainedSA » 13 Oct 2014, 07:01

Hi! I'm new to this forum, not new to searching and reading about AF all night.

I am 25 years old and from Australia.

I recently gave birth to my first child in a pretty traumatic labour. I was all clear for about 2 weeks after labour and then I must have had a particularly bad BM (not that I can recall it) and up popped my very first hem.

Weeks of trying to get passed it without treatment and crying while having a movement lead to me finally sending hubby down to the chemist to get me something. He came home with Hemocane.

After researching on the net I completely changed my diet and ploughed on with the hemocane which dulled the pain a little. I then discovered the pain was from a fissure and not the hems.

I have researched and feel like I have tried all the options to try to treat my fissure -

Hemocane
proctosedyl
Ice (but have learnt that's the wrong way to go)
Witch hazel for my hems (no idea if that's good or bad for fissure but lord did it sting)
Rectogesic wipes
Cotton balls (wet) for wiping
Drinking 3-4 litres water per day
coloxyl (have stopped)
Lactulose (have stopped)
prune juice in morning and before bed
Complete diet change to high fibre
Probiotic tablets

I have purchased some coconut oil and am just about to start having hot baths. I would appreciate any advice on temps/times for baths and how you used coconut oil to help treat.

I am welcoming to any advice you can give me. My stool is currently a number 3 on the Bristol scale which is too firm for my liking but I don't want to keep taking the coloxyl for dependance reasons and fear of being too soft and aggravating the hemorrhoids.

I think (and don't want to jinx it) that my hemorrhoids are starting to feel better and like they may be healing (or at least receding). I have some skin tags left sadly - any advice on how to deal or cope with these?

Thanks all!
PainedSA
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: New here - AF after first child.

Postby PainedSA » 13 Oct 2014, 07:06

I feel like I need to go into detail a little here about my mental state of mind too.

I have had panic attacks and started to regress into my depression for a few reasons -
A) I have a newborn baby I am trying to look after
B) hubby has started a new job so cannot help me
And c) the AF causes me so much pain it's debilitating during the day and I cannot breastfeed my daughter unless I am lying down as it hurts so much.
I feel like I cannot bond with her as I feel a little resentment towards her, and when I have her on my I am in pain so I am either crying or angry.
I have had to move back in with my parents (at 25 leaving a husband at home) so my mum can help me care for my child. This makes me feel so useless.
I am quite over it and feel like my quality of life has been severely impaired. (And I have only had this for 2 months!)
PainedSA
Salt Bather

Postby jlm1 » 13 Oct 2014, 11:07

I'm so sorry you are going through this :( It's terrible, I know. Read previous posts I wrote where I document everything that I have found to be helpful. Or use the search engine on the site. There is a ton of useful information on here. I also have a 2 year old so I know how hard it it to be in this kind of pain and care for a child. My partner has been doing so much for the past few months that our daughter totally prefers her. I'm glad they have a good relationship but it's had sometimes.
Try not to feel bad about staying with your mom. Take whatever help you can get. I hate to even suggest this......but have you thought about supplementing with formula to give you a break and take some pressure off?
Hang in there and know that it won't last forever. You will heal. See a CRS as soon as possible and discuss options. I had botox and it worked. (So far, anyway) Good luck to you. Keep us posted and continue to share here. You are not alone.
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby PainedSA » 13 Oct 2014, 18:45

Thanks jim ;) my parents have suggested formula too - I just really really dont want to so I will be right at my wits end I think if that happens (even though j know it would help me cope.)

have just woken up to a particularly bad BM (seems like taking 1 step forward 3 steps back) so hoping that doesn't aggravate my hems again :(x does anyone know with the warm baths are they better warm or piping hot? I inserted a coconut suppository this morning before BM (after I cannot insert anything) and I think it probably helped the BM from he'll come out.

I have rang my dad to get me more lactulose today as that was a ridiculously hard BM. I should stop trying to be a martyr and just take what helps.
PainedSA
Salt Bather

Postby jlm1 » 13 Oct 2014, 19:36

You need to be very careful and keep your stools soft. Since you are nursing, I don;t know what supplements you can take but I take: stool softener (3 a day) and magnesium (500mg) and a bunch of other stuff. Eat high fiber, drink a ton of water, and cut out anything constipating. I found hot water baths and hot water bottles helped the fissure pain and especially the spasms. Please try to see s good CRS soon! I also have hemmies so I know it;s very annoying to have all this going on down there. Hang in there ;)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Jbl22424 » 13 Oct 2014, 23:25

So sorry you are going through this. I got an AF seven weeks after my first was born last November. It was really terrible. I would recommend you take miralax and go see a CRS to start rectogesic or diltiazem, or you could do Botox. I ended up getting surgery after suffering for four months. Was the best thing I ever did. Really regret giving up breastfeeding because of my fissure.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Scientist2516 » 14 Oct 2014, 07:23

I am so sorry! My heart goes out to you. I have 2 children, and I cannot imagine going through their early months with a fissure. That must be the hardest thing.

Definitely see your own doctor as soon as possible, to get help with the depression and feelings towards your daughter. Even though it's most likely caused by the fissure, it probably still counts as post-partum depression, and you (and your daughter) need help with it.

Do see a CRS. They prescribe much more effective medications than over the counter stuff. Be sure to let them know you are breast-feeding.

You asked about the temperature of the hot bath. Lots of people here take warm baths - I didn't find they helped me, I preferred a hot water bottle. But whatever you use, don't make it piping hot, as that can cause spasms. Soothing warmth is what you are after. I basically sat on my hot water bottle for hours every day, sticking it in the microwave every so often to reheat it.

This is a very hard time for you, but it will pass. Every day that you breastfeed is doing your baby good. If you do have to stop, there is no blame whatsoever to you, and your baby has had the important first few weeks. Remember, millions of babies grow up just fine on formula. Some other new mothers here have reported that breastfeeding seems to make their BMs harder. You can do a search on this site for shared stories about that. It may be because it's so difficult to stay hydrated when breastfeeding. The milk grabs all the water, and doesn't leave enough to soften the stool. You could try to drink more (and yes, I know how difficult that can be!!!).

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Scientist2516 » 14 Oct 2014, 07:29

Pained SA, have you seen this thread? fissure-after-childbirth-t8909.html
Newmominpain suggests that the fissure may be worsened by lack of oestrgen due to breast feeding. Just a thought. She also recommends drinking way more water.

Good luck! I do hope you can find a way to keep breastfeeding, but remember it's not the end of the world if you can't.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby PainedSA » 14 Oct 2014, 20:55

Thanks all ;) I have purchased some formula for just in case (like in the morning when I can barely function after a BM then maybe mum can giver her a bottle to help) but it broke my heart to do it.

I did just read a response on another page from a dr saying this -
Because genital and anal tissues are more vulnerable to tearing while a woman is breastfeeding (thanks to low levels of estrogen in the body), topical estrogen creams are sometimes prescribed to women in the post-partum period.

But I don't know how truthful or helpful it is. I have sent dad to the pharmacy to get me a hot water bottle (we don't have enough hot water at the house for me to have more than one warm bath)

I have been reading about vitamins helping so went out and bought the following as per another AF sufferers post -

Vit e - healer of skin and promoting skin strength
Vit c (swallow capsules) - stable immune system
Garlic capsules - purify the blood and promote healing
Zinc- again promotes healing

Have started a teaspoon of oil in the morning and night too.
Vit e cream throughout the day and I am back on my actilax.
Does anyone know about the dependency issues with actilax (lactulose)?

I'm going to go and research forms of soft fibre (surely the softer going in the softer coming out?) I just don't want to end up with diarhea and make my hems worse.
PainedSA
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 14 Oct 2014, 22:10

My son had mixed-feeds (sometimes formula, sometimes breast milk) from 6 months to 1 year old. We both adjusted. It's tough, but you do what you gotta do. He was in daycare, and I could only get over there for the mid-day feed. I pumped for weeks, but wasn't sorry to give it up.

So anyway. I read a couple of scientific articles about oestrogen cream. I would say it's almost certain to help. It's sometimes prescribed to help heal wounds in post-menopausal women. If I still had fissure pain, I'd be begging my doctor for it.
http://www.webmd.com/menopause/low-dose ... nd-atrophy
http://link.springer.com/article/10.216 ... 002#page-1
http://ajp.amjpathol.org/article/S0002-9440(10)65217-0/abstract

About fibre - take it easy to start with. It's easy to over-do it. Fibre can really bulk up your stool, and even a soft stool can hurt if it's big. Also, for the fibre to make stools soft, you have to get enough water to keep it really hydrated, and we know that it's difficult for a nursing mother to stay hydrated. So fibre is good, but only take a little to begin with and pay attention to what it does. If you don't like the results, back it off again.

Good luck! :smilyhug:
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516