My LIS Diary - March 2012 & fully healed in 4 weeks

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Re: My LIS Diary - March 2012 & fully healed in 4 weeks

Postby scared ann » 31 Jan 2014, 19:50

Hi Davo ! How are you been doing ?
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Davo » 01 Feb 2014, 01:20

Hello Scared Ann,

Your username makes me feel quite sad, i really hope you're not scared!

As for me well yes i'm great thanks. LIS surgery put an end of my anal fissure days and i have been fissure & pain free for a year and nine months now. BMs are completely normal, i no longer suffer with hemmies and my diet is errrr terrible! Probably the only downside for me is that i have put on so much weight trying to catch up on all the junk food I was not allowed to have during my fissure days.

The biggest positive for me though is my outlook on life, this has massively changed for me and i appreciate every little thing that i could not do previously. Things like playing football with the children in the park, riding my bike, eating whatever i want, using the bathroom without fear and concentrating on fun rather than worrying about going to the toilet, drinking water and eating fibre.

Thanks for your message

Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby FissureHome » 01 Feb 2014, 06:42

Davo glad to hear your doing well.. how long did it take for you to heal after surgery? how long until you could say drive? or ride a bike? Thanks in advance!
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby scared ann » 01 Feb 2014, 11:37

Hi Davo ! I'm soooo happy to know that you are doing incredibly great...God Bless
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Davo » 01 Feb 2014, 12:38

FissureHome,

My fissure was healed in two weeks and was confirmed as healed at my four week follow up consultation. I could drive after the first week and i would say i could have probably jumped on my bike at 3-4 weeks (just to be on the safe side)

Thanks for your comments guys

Davo
Davo

Postby Davo » 05 Sep 2014, 10:28

POST LIS – Two and a half years

**AN UPDATE ON MY BUTT**

So i always said that the board only contains recent fissure victims and that in the long term we never hear how people are getting on post surgery. So i promised that i would return every now and then to give an update....

Well it has now been two and half years since my LIS surgery and i see people are still using the services of Mr Windsor in London - I hope he is treating you all well and removing some of that awful fissure pain!

So as for me i am pleased to say that everything is still going well and i no longer see my butt as the problem it once was. I always said that if i ever healed i would continue eating lots of fibre and drinking endless gallons of water - well that soon went out of the window and i eat just as bad as i did before my fissure days. My main problem is the ever-expanding waistline and if there was a Circus fatman message board i would probably join it!

So post surgery your sphincter is supposed to return to 80% of it's original strength after about a year - well to be honest i don't notice much difference if i am honest however i don't seem to have the chronic constipation that i once had so my butt is a lot happier nowadays.

I did however have one little incident i would like to share and it happened about six months ago (so two years after surgery). I was in Thailand and eating all the wrong types of spicy food and I developed the usual holiday tummy ending in lots of frequent bathroom visits. I was due to board a plane that day so took some diarrhea antibiotics – these stopped the diarrhea almost instantly and the flight was trouble free!

I never had to visit the toilet for the rest of the day… or the next day… or the next day… or the next day (can you see what is happening here?)

Anyway five days later I am starting to get worried as I just can’t go to the toilet even though I feel desperate!! So I fill my body with laxatives and movicol (Miralax equivalent) and still no joy. At this stage I am straining and pushing in desperation and unfortunately the hemmies appeared again! So on day six I bought an enema kit (you can buy anything over the counter in Thailand)

Anyway the enema kit did the trick however the large volume (sorry) combined with the hemmies cause some blood and the fissure opened up a little again. I was gutted and thought I was going to have to go through my fissure days all over again so I went straight back on the water and fibre diet (which was hard in the Far East) and I am happy to say that I managed to heal the fissure in two days. I was always told that fissures heal considerably easier after LIS and it seems that this is true.

One other thing I have noticed post surgery is the scar is obviously not flush with the surrounding skin and so it causes a little gutter, which in itself is not a problem. However if your stools because a little loose for whatever reason sometime a little water can sit in that little gutter and cause some mild irritation. To be honest it sometimes just requires a further wipe about an hour or two later and it only happens maybe once every couple of months but I just thought it was useful to point out.

So that is my diary update at 2.5 years!

I understand that if you’re reading this it is because you are struggling with a fissure (or you are some weird sort of anal pervert and stumbled across the wrong type of website) but just remember these things are not forever and they will heal up one way or another – it just takes bags of patience and lot’s of encouragement.

Take care and have a great weekend folks

Davo
Davo

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Sep 2014, 10:36

Hey Davo,
Thank you so much for popping back and updating!! It's great to read your post and see how well you've been doing (despite your set back!)....It's just so inspiring when people like yourself come back to update and reassure people that it is possible to get back to normal!!!
Keep looking after yourself and please pop back in another few months or so to say "hello" to us all!!
Patience, positivity and support are key!!
Thank you xx Take Care xx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Savaici » 02 Oct 2015, 06:18

Made the post a 'Sticky' as it's a great one to encourage others and let them know that LIS works, and you can get back up there and live life!! :afsmile:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Davo » 03 May 2016, 16:04

POST LIS – Four years gone now

**AN UPDATE ON MY BUTT**

Doesn't time fly by when you're having fun - thought i'd pop back in to say hello as it's four years since my LIS procedure and i've nothing more to report apart from i'm drinking too much beer, eating all the wrong food and just being a general slob like everyone else who doesn't have a fissure!!

Just browsing through the current thread posters and members and I don't recognise any of you guys! Does that mean that all the old school people from my fissure days have all healed and moved on???

So to all you guys who are currently going through what i went through four years back, just remember:

1. A fissure is just a small cut and nothing more - it's not chronic and you will get better. Try and remember that on your down days.
2. Don't live your life eating constantly eating what you know as 'fissure friendly' foods - providing you cut the food into small pieces and chew it well enough it will do you no harm (Mr Alistair Windsor told me that)
3. If you are following the fissure friendly diets then mango, soup and wholemeal bread should be your best friends - any type of nut is an enemy.
4. Always take one or two sachets of Movicol per day (Miralax in the US) - If you're in the UK you can get this from the pharmacy section of any chemist (it will not be on the general sale shop shelves so you'll have to ask for it)
5. There is no better way of relieving pain than having a warm/hot bath
6. Don't believe any of these 'so-called' pain relief remedies. I remember people sticking coconuts up their arses and all sorts in my day! Ohh and the whole wheatgrass thing is nonsense!
7. Diet changes and GTN can work but they just require endless patience.

So guys stick in and don't let these little buggers get you down - they will eventually vanish from your life. I can promise you that you will get your life back.

Davo
Davo

Postby ahoos26 » 10 May 2016, 17:10

Hey Davo, thanks for list last update on May 3rd. I have been lurking on this board for awhile, but decided to register today to hopefully be a bit more active. I had a LIS, fissurectomy and internal hemi removed on April 8th. Some days I feel like this will never be over and I will go to my grave with a fissure! UGH! But reading your posts has really helped. I am trying to stay positive, but it's hard when the world revolves around your backside. Thanks for coming back and posting your update and congrats on your healing!
ahoos26
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1