My Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: My Diary

Postby thedude » 17 May 2016, 10:00

Another update:

Over the weekend, I did end up having some discharge, which led me more to believe it was an abscess. Called the CRS and they moved my appointment to today. Just left there and I do in fact have an abscess, and the doctor said my fissure has moved a little depper into the rectum :(. I was ready for the abscess news, but definitely not for the expansion of the fissure. It's funny, cause it never really felt like it grew. Maybe my nerves are just shot down there now.

Anyway, my CRS is recommeding surgery now, but not for a LIS. Instead he wants to do 2 things.

1. Do a botox injection. He seems to think that the botox will be enough to heal the fissure as he said I'm not all that tight down there. He said a little bit, but he didn't have any trouble getting his finger or speculum in there, so he said not really that tight.
2. He wants to make a small incision on the outside of my rectum/anus where the fissure / abscess is to 1, drain it and 2 promote more blood flow to the area for healing.

All in all he said 30 minute outpatient procedure under general anesthesia.

I have to admit, I'm a little scared. I've never had surgery before, let alone a surgery on my ass lol. I know it's very low risk, but still when they have to tell you of the complications and that you could die, it's scary.

Thinking about getting a second opinion just so I can have one, but my primary care doctor did recommend this guy saying he's the best here.

Right now surgery is scheduled for June 15'th. They said take 3 days off of work and no traveling for 2 weeks. At least for the first week.
thedude
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby brokenbottom » 17 May 2016, 16:04

Hello Dude

Poor you - an abscess must be painful and on top of a fissure that's just horrid! Sounds like your surgeon knows what he's up to though and if he's been recommended that's good too. I had Botox a few months back. Unfortunately it didn't work for me but it might well do the trick for you. It does for loads of people. Don't be scared (all very well me saying that - I was terrified!). A friend said to me it's a bit like flying - you just have to put your trust in these professionals who are doing their best to help you. This analogy doesn't work very well if you're scared of flying though!

Wishing you courage and bottom health! BB x
Suffered acute AFs since about 2010
2015 Chronic AF diagnosed
18/2/16 Botox (unsuccessful)
12/4/16 Lateral anal sphincterotomy and removal of polyp and two tags
brokenbottom
VIP

Postby thedude » 17 May 2016, 21:25

Thanks for the words brokenbottom.

I'm actually an amateur pilot on the side so not scared of flying. Just more nervous about being put under, but got to button up my big boy pants and get to it. This guy has been doing this stuff for 25 years, and my doctor said he's the best, so I'm hoping he is 100% right and botox fixes me right up.

My main concern is healing time. He said 3 days off after surgery and 2 weeks no traveling which makes me think the first 2-3 days will be hard, then it gets better after that and after 2 weeks pain should be minimal. I'm hoping that's the case, as we will be driving a few hours for the 4'th of july holiday here in the U.S which is 2-3 weeks after surgery. I might be pushing it lol. I'll keep everyone posted here as this progresses.

I think I feel more pain from the abscess than I do the fissure. Definitely a different kind of pain, but in all honesty it still doesn't hurt as much as it did when I first got the fissure.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby thedude » 19 May 2016, 13:35

Another update:
Went back to the doctor today cause that abscess was getting pretty painful. The doctor i saw today actually has an opening in his schedule for surgery tomorrow. I actually ended up scheduling that with his nurse, but then canceled. Guess I'm just a wuss. However, my original doctor had an opening come up next wednesday so I moved my surgery from June to next week. Still kind of nervous about that, but whatever.
From what I gathered from this doctor the surgery will be a Botox injection + Fissurectomy + possible fistulotomy. He said they'll either cut my fistula if I have one, or place a seton if it's to complex.
While I was in the office with him, he did go ahead and drain my abscess, which hurt like something fierce while he was numbing me up. But the good news is, I can't feel my butt right now lol.
So all in all, I'm still nervous..especially since surgery is under a week away now, but gotta do what you gotta do. Honestly, I'm more nervous about going under than I am about the surgery. I'd almost rather just have a spinal block or something.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby thedude » 24 May 2016, 11:27

So 1 day till surgery.

About 1.5 hours ago I took 6 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia per the instructions on the surgery sheet. I am at work and will be for the next few hours, so this will be interesting. No bathroom trips yet, but I can definitely tell it is building up. There is this low rumbling in my stomach that sounds like the the space shuttle engines before they go full throttle. And full throttle is what I'm afraid of.

Tomorrow morning I have 2 enemas to complete. I have to be at the surgery center at 8:30 AM and they said do the enemas 2 hours prior to surgery, so I guess at roughly 6:30 AM I will be doing those before heading out.

I'm not so sure though exactly what surgery I will have. I know for sure that I will have botox, but what I'm unsure of is what else. The CRS I have been seeing and the one that will be doing my surgery said Botox plus incision. While the CRS I saw to get my abscess drained when my Dr. was out said he would do botox + abscess drainage + fissurectomy + fistula surgery if he found one. This Doctor also said I'd need 1-2 weeks of not doing anything, wile my primary CRS said 3 days off work, and no traveling for 2 weeks. So I'm wondering if maybe my primary CRS surgeon is just doing botox + abscess drainage if still needed and fistula check, and not doing a fissurectomy. Part of me is hoping for just botox and no fistula as I feel it will be easier to recover from that than from botox + fissurectomy. Guess I will find out for sure tomorrow during pre-op.

I will do my best to keep you all updated on the process and what all happened after I get home tomorrow.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby thedude » 24 May 2016, 11:49

As soon as I posted this, nature called.

And let me tell you. That was by far one of the easiest BM's I've ever had. Flowed out of me like the river Jordan.

I'll call that win #1.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby brokenbottom » 25 May 2016, 04:05

Hello Dude

I hope all is going well for you today. I know none of these things are easy but hopefully this will be the first big step on a journey to happy normal life. Sending healing vibes! BB x
brokenbottom
VIP

Postby thedude » 25 May 2016, 14:36

Typing from my phone so forgive me for any mistypes.

Back home now and recovering. Had the surgery under general anesthesia. Total procedure time was 17 minutes.

Dr told me that he ended up not doing Botox because my fissure had burrowed some underneath my muscle so he cut a small part of the muscle. Kind of like lis but not as much. He said that loosened it up more and would be better than Botox. I believe he also said that he cut the fistula and cleaned up the abscess more.

Got a follow up with him in 1 week.

Overall not much pain right now. Just a bit of a dull ache. I know the next few days will determine this so staying positive!

They gave me tramadol to take every 4 hours and torridol to help with inflammation. Sitz bath 3 times a day and change my gauze 3 times a day starting tomorrow.

Oh and according to the nurse, I asked for a cheeseburger when I woke up. 8)

Will keep this updated.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby brokenbottom » 26 May 2016, 04:14

Hello there Dude!

Glad to hear you made it through OK! Sounds like the surgeon took a considered approach and hopefully that's you all patched up and ready to heal. Marvellous that you have a follow up in a week - that's good service!

Try to stay off the cheeseburgers and take it easy. BB x
brokenbottom
VIP

Postby thedude » 26 May 2016, 12:10

Day 1 post op:

Pain is minimal. Keeping it under control with Tramadol every 4 hours and Torridor every 6 hours. Took my first bath this morning to remove the gauze. I'm pretty sure they shoved that gauze all the way up my anus, but man it feels so much easier to walk around now. They definitely shaved my ass too which I found hysterical. I seem to remember the Doctor telling me that on the way out now. I believe he said they were a full service hospital lol.

So, so far, doing pretty good. I'm able to move around without pain and am comfortable.

The only question left now is how is my first BM going to go...I'm sort of anxious about that. As everyone knows, the doctor said to make sure I relax. He also said some people found it helpful to have their first bowel movement in the bathtub to help them relax. Not sure I'll do that, but definitely will work on the relaxing piece. I'm hopeful and staying positive though that it will not be a problem.

I've started eating more high fiber foods today. They told me not to eat high fiber foods for the rest of the day after my surgery and to start eating high fiber the next day as well as get back on my stool softener then.
thedude
Salt Bather