My Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: My Diary

Postby Newtothis » 26 May 2016, 14:18

Good luck with the first BM. I had very soft stool the first two days because I had definitely overdosed on the lactulose. The first solid stool did hurt, but make sure to try to have a hot bath ready (not only for the first one but I would say for the first days). You can't jump in it quickly enough. Having a BM in a hot bath indeed is a bit messy, but in a sitz bath it's quickly cleaned up and it does/did give me more comfort at times.
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby brokenbottom » 27 May 2016, 02:19

Hi Dude!
You sound pretty good all things considered! Yes the dressings and all that take some dealing with. I left mine up there and it just came out when it was ready.
That first BM is quite a thing - the dread is worse than the happening itself. My advice would be don't stint on fibre, fluids and laxatives and don't try to go till you're good and ready. Oh and relax - cos that's easy, right?!
Good luck! BB x
Suffered acute AFs since about 2010
2015 Chronic AF diagnosed
18/2/16 Botox (unsuccessful)
12/4/16 Lateral anal sphincterotomy and removal of polyp and two tags
brokenbottom
VIP

Topics: 3

Postby thedude » 27 May 2016, 09:41

Thanks for the words everyone.

Nothing yet. I've tried sitting down on the toilet for a few, and didn't have anything come out but gas. I don't feel like there's much up there either just yet. Probably because the first day or so of eating was just soup and a small salad. I did take a package of miralax yesterday and 1 colace last night. Took one more colace this morning and ate some shredded wheat cereal with some fiber power added.

I don't think I'm actually dreading this anymore, I just want to get it out of the way and get back on my BM schedule to where I can keep them soft.

As far as pain from the surgery, no real pain to speak of. I think I'll have a little discomfort after a BM, but I have passed quite a bit of gas and all of that has been pain free, whereas before when the fissure was bad, the gas could cause discomfort.

Will see how the rest of the day goes. Going to try to sit on the toilet again in a few hours.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby brokenbottom » 27 May 2016, 10:02

I agree that the idea of going in the bath is not appealing at all. One thing I find helpful is using a plastic bottle of water to pour over me into the toilet once I've been. Because after the surgery you're pretty delicate down there so you want to make cleaning up after a BM as swift and easy as possible.
Good luck Dude!
BB x
brokenbottom
VIP

Postby thedude » 27 May 2016, 10:48

Well, finally happened.

Super soft, was actually more watery than it was solid. Probably due to all the soup I've eaten + miralax / colace combo. However, the pain was / is more of a dull ache than that terrible sharp bring you to your knees pain that we are all so familiar with. I did hop in the bath after for 10 minutes or so, and went ahead and took another tramadol, but overall, I'd say we're doing good. I think that as the surgery site heals up, this dull ache after a BM pain will go away.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby thedude » 28 May 2016, 22:02

Day 3 update.

Still doing good here. Minimal pain. Bowel movements leave me with that kicked in the butt really hard sort of ache but not to terrible. I did have a sharp pain today after a BM but I'm going to blame that on me. Thought I would try to gently wipe after a BM and came back with a good stinging and blood on the tp. The next BM several hours later didn't have that sharp pain just the normal ache so I'll refrain from wiping and just use the water bottle to rinse off with for now before hopping in the bath.

Been eating mainly things like soup, shredded wheat and other fiber cereals plus chipotle bowls no rice with beans and chicken, Guac, lettuce etc.

Been doing miralax still + stool softener.

I'm feeling like the pain I experience right now after a BM is from the surgical procedure and not my fissure. Just feels like once the surgery site heals I'll be doing good.

Oh I did go to another doctor today cause I was feeling like I was coming down with a cold. Turns out I have a sinus infection and strep throat. Go figure!

Was looking forward to having a beer on Memorial Day but between the pain pills and antibiotics i better play it safe.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby thedude » 28 May 2016, 22:26

Also, thought I would add that I'm able to sit comfortably. Was able to drive for 30 minutes yesterday to go pick up my 10 month old daughter from the baby sitter.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby thedude » 01 Jun 2016, 12:42

Had my 1 week Doctor appointment today. He said everything is looking good and everything is nice and clean. I'm supposed to see him again in 2 weeks, and he basically told me I could do whatever I want as long as I keep my stool soft.

I did ask him about healing time and as we are all aware he said it could be 1 month, could be 3 months, just depends on how your body heals

Hopefully can keep everything going correctly here and be done with this thing in a few weeks. I think the hardest thing is going to be that I start to feel normal again and I start to let things slip. For example maybe I skip out on fiber that day, or forget about taking miralax etc etc. Just going to have to remember to keep up with all that for a while even after it's 100% healed.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby thedude » 03 Jun 2016, 11:06

Day 9 Post op update:

Considering I had a fissurectomy and simple fistula surgery 9 days ago I'm doing really really good. Haven't been on any pain meds in a few days. In fact, I really didn't need the pain meds after surgery, but I kept taking them in case that dull ache / kicked in the butt feeling turned into something more.

I basically have no pain other than some minor irritation where they made the incision for the fistula, but that irritation is mainly from the gauze I think. Yes, over a week later, I'm still packing gauze down there. I still have discharge, but it's not blood, looks more like yellow or brown puss. I guess that's just standard drainage from the incision site. Hoping it goes away soon though as I'd like to stop having to put gauze up my butt.

Bowel Movements are super easy, probably thanks to my high fiber and miralax diet. If it's a little harder of a BM I might get a little burning sensation from the incision site, but it goes away very quickly. I have no pain from the fissure at all. In fact I have forgotten what it's felt like to be able to use the bathroom without having discomfort.

Once I'm 100% I'll post something detailed in the success story section, but all I got to say is I think I am well on my way as long as I can keep everything soft. Which I don't think will be a problem. Miralax for me seems to be much more effective at that than colace.

I'll post an update again in a few days.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby brokenbottom » 07 Jun 2016, 03:30

Brilliant news Dude! Long may your improvements continue! BB x
brokenbottom
VIP