just had surgery

Scared to POOP!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

just had surgery

Postby pwac » 15 Nov 2016, 13:19

After 3 fissures over 15 years I finally had the surgery 5 days ago. The first 2 fissures were treated with dilation from a CRS and it came back. I have learned more from this forum than from any Dr. It's great to know that I am not alone and that people understand the pain I have gone through and AM going through. I have no idea exactly what the Dr. did but he did a sphincterotomy and removed my hemorrhoids and said that I had a large "lesion: which I assume is the fissure.
The first night after surgery I had wished was in the hospital on a morphine drip. Mind you, I have a strong tolerance for pain and have had 4 c sections and knee surgery. Nothing even compares to this pain. I hope this will end my long term battles with fissures and spasms and it will be worth it.
Day 2 was ok on pain meds. Definitely petrified of the first BM
Day 3 - clearly constipated even though I used stool softener, miralax and psyllium - so I panicked and the Dr. on call told me to have a bottle of magnesium citrate. WELL - I still didn't poop!
DAY 4 and woke up with a tremendous sense of pressure and the need to poop. Finally spoke to my surgeon who said to do a colonoscopy cleanse that I was probable impacted. four hours it took for me to finally poop. 4 hours of intense pain and bleeding. AND then the explosion - and I pooped. It came out with such a force that I thought I would pass out and then I kept going and going and going because I drank the liquid for the colonoscopy cleanse.
Day 5. I am down to taking percocet 1 pill with 3 motrin every 6 hours. I have not pooped yet and I am PETRIFIED of bowel movement #2. Even though I pooped all day yesterday but it was like thick sludge.
Anyone have any thoughts on the second BM? I have read from someone on the forum that it wasn't bad and I can't find it!
pwac
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: just had surgery

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Nov 2016, 13:36

Hi,
I had the same surgery a week ago and was doing ok at pain levels about a 4-6 it was bad the first few days as was the first BM. My second BM wasn't that bad, only problem is I have crohns and IBS and I went to the toilet 4 times this morning very explosive and very painful. Even had spasms again and 12 hours later I'm still in pain at a 7.
So I know exactly where you are coming from I wish I could tell you your next BM will be fine and it very well could be especially if you have had a day free of a BM. I wouldn't rush things though your body will still be in shock from the prep and may not need to go for a few days...take that time to rest your sphincter and your fissure.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby pwac » 15 Nov 2016, 13:55

So my current question is - the pain just started getting horrific - I think I have to POOP which adds pressure to the sphincter muscle. Not sure what to do because I went to the toilet and blood came out. Which is what happened yesterday before the poop and during 4 hours of prep!
pwac
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Nov 2016, 14:25

Hope is gone ok...I guess if it's going to come there is nothing you can do to stop it, well that's what I end up thinking. My pain is also increasing again...not happy.
Hope you don't need to go and it was a false alarm
Mypoorbutt

Postby pwac » 15 Nov 2016, 14:34

False alarm - I did bleed in toilet so I think that I have internal pressure from things starting to move.
M question to you is why are you in pain all of the sudden again?? That shouldn't happen - right? Did you ask Dr.?
pwac
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Nov 2016, 14:41

The pain has been a 7 all day due to the 4 explosive BMs did start to go off...I probably need to put some more GTN on or take more painkillers
Mypoorbutt

Postby pwac » 15 Nov 2016, 14:44

Ask your dr. about muscle relaxants for spasm relief. I took this for my worst spasms and it helped https://www.drugs.com/cyclobenzaprine.html also known as flexeril. It really helped!!! This was before my surgery. Took muscle spasm pain away.
pwac
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Nov 2016, 14:46

I'm going to try and get to the dr tomorrow or Thursday at the latest as this is just beyond acceptable so at least I have something to ask for as she refuses to prescribe Valium.
Mypoorbutt

Postby pwac » 15 Nov 2016, 18:13

I was lucky I had the muscle relaxant for my back. I asked him to prescribe me more and he said NO! I couldn't believe it! Finally the next week I was in such pain one day, excruciating pain and my husband called the Dr. and he prescribed percocet! I ended up continuing with the muscle relaxant I had. I cannot believe these surgeons are so narrow minded! I would go see your internal medicine doctor if not!
pwac
Fibre Addict