Diary - LIS in a few weeks!

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Diary - LIS in a few weeks!

Postby chachacha » 05 Apr 2017, 07:40

So very sorry to hear that you're still in pain, but happy to hear that the swelling has subsided.

I wish that I could help you to pass that gas, but since I have no suggestions on that front, I just hope that it happens for you soon.

Can you call your surgeon's office and leave a message? Tell her that you're in incredible pain and need some advice?
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 05 Apr 2017, 07:43

Hun you will be able to pass gas I couldn't the first 32 hours and was in serious pain like you with my IBS I pass gas at least 20 times a day if not a lot more lol. By the second day my stomach decided it didn't care what my sphincter was feeling like and I basically had to force it out whilst in a squatting position on the toilet. It became easier after that fist time but still was forcing it for quite a while and I often still have too.
As for the pain phone your hospital or GP can you take anything else alongside the existing pain killers....you can't stay in this much pain. If it helps when my IBD flared on week 2 after LIS the pain was through the roof just as bad if not worse than my fissure pain at the beginning full on spasms for 24 hours after every BM....but and this is the important bit once I got the right pain killers it's reduced significantly.
The pain will stop Hun it really will and your body will insist you pass gas can you get in the bath yet Hun
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby GilmoreGirl » 05 Apr 2017, 09:02

Thanks guys, I will try and call the surgeons office. I'm feeling really really sick on top of it all very nauseous and sore throats from the tubing.

I'm worried my bowels will not move since they are already sluggish and I did not bet on taking this much pain medication, they told me I could get by with Tylenol.

I will try the bath as soon as I can trust myself not to vomit. Tried to pass gas but it just starts bleeding a bunch.

Maybe I need a different pain killer I don't know
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby chachacha » 05 Apr 2017, 09:11

I had my first BM on day 4 after surgery, and because I had chronic diarrhea, it wasn't hard at all. I didn't have gas issues though, and because yours cause you a lot of pain, it must be much harder to wait for it to happen on its own.

DO call the surgeon's office for advice and perhaps something different to help with the pain.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Postby Mypoorbutt » 05 Apr 2017, 09:28

Awww Hun, maybe it's the anaesthetic that's not helped either.
It's not been 24 hours yet so although I know it's hard try not to worry about the 1st BM.
Have you tried any food yet as my gas was worse because I was starving myself for a few days before and after as I was so scared.
Def phone the hospital or doc if your pain doesn't improve though and I would mention the bleeding too if it's quite a bit
Don't forget you have had an op in a very sensitive area don't expect too much from yourself Hun x
Mypoorbutt

Postby GilmoreGirl » 05 Apr 2017, 10:04

I haven't been able to reach the surgeons office but will try again later.

My mom helped me with a sitz bath and now I have an ice pack for a few min. I am going to try and sleep a bit but I'm quite anxious.

I had a homemade cookie last night and an ensure, and I had half a cookie and half an ensure this morning, the stomach pressure and pain seems to get worse when I eat, I may just stick with ensure.

The pamphlet they gave me says to take fibre and prune juice if I haven't gone in 24 hours, but I can't tolerate either (give me so much gas) and I don't think anything is going to go easy come out right now..maybe it's just swelling that needs to go down and then I will feel looser? I just don't know when I should intervene with miralax or whatever, especially since my stool is normally soft.

I'm taking 5mg morphine every 4 hours + Celebrex 100mg every 12 hours. Don't know but I feel like that is a bit low on the pain killer scale compared to what they loaded me up with yesterday at the hospital.

I'm exhausting myself worrying about everything and it hurts so much...I really appreciate all your answers thanks so so much.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Mypoorbutt » 05 Apr 2017, 10:36

The swelling certainly makes it worse and that should start to go down pretty quickly. I only got relief from gabapentin as you know and can't take opiates as they literally knock me out....although I did do a few days where I took the recommended dose of cocodamol just so I could be comatose through the pain.
Not sure about the 24 hour thing, think that's more to do with how people's bowels react after surgery. I didn't go till day 5 but like you I had hardly eaten.
I agree eating does make the pressure worse but on the other hand it can push the gas down and out so to speak. You know your body best Hun so would know best when to intervene, all I can say is take into account what is going in before you decide whether to speed up the coming out bit.
I know what you mean Hun my first week wasn't so bad but after my flare my mind was constantly on the go trying to think up solutions that may work or problems that might make it worse.
Get onto your doctor once the pain is under control then you can get some rest and recovery will be quicker
Hugs x
Mypoorbutt

Postby mamafizz » 05 Apr 2017, 12:53

:hang: GG, you should be able to call hospital with questions. Did you reach anyone? Mine took 3 days before I could go, or pass gas, after my procedure & told that was to be expected mine also was out of control swollen and painful. I could not stand or sit either but slowly better. I was told our bodies are designed to heal and that swelling is actually a good sign it is doing what it is suppose to do. Any better?
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby Canadabum » 05 Apr 2017, 15:00

GG - hang in there. You've just been through surgery and the body takes time to deal with the acute trauma. Great ideas from everyone to call your doc and get answers -- but no need to add stress to your life because of the unknown. Likely your body is just reacting and things will settle over the coming day(s).
We are all thinking of you and sending you healing wishes.
CB
Canadabum

Postby GilmoreGirl » 05 Apr 2017, 15:24

Thanks again

I left a message at the surgeons office hopefully they will answer in the am. I was able to nap a little on and off but I'm just feeling really bad. I'm petrified of a bm before this swelling goes down, if I can't get urgent gas out even when I push how will I pass a bm?

Did anyone else have this level of swelling and inability to pass gas/bm right after surgery? It's been over 24 hours now and no improvement, in fact may be worse as I was given more painkillers yesterday and my stomach wasn't so upset.

Mayo clinic online says that regular adult dose of morphine is 15-30mg every four hours and I'm taking only 5...they didn't tell me at all how much to take, since I already had the morphine at home there was no prescription.

Despite everyone's reassurances I've just never been so scared
GilmoreGirl
VIP