Spasms/flutter/twitch after LIS 12/21/17

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Spasms/flutter/twitch after LIS 12/21/17

Postby Checkdis » 07 Jan 2018, 21:26

Hello, I am a 28yr male, I just recently had an LIS on 12/21/17. The CRS said it was a textbook procedure and there were no complications. So far I have been feeling great until today, I had a BM this morning which had a little bit of bleeding which now has led to spasms. I know it has only been a couple of weeks but I am worried that I have opened the fissure again. To add, I have been battling OAB which seems to have gotten better after the surgery. But now after today the frequency has picked up. The CRS said the fissure was near the scrotum and was serverly torn down to the muscle.

To describe my spasms, it almost feels like a flutter, more like a muscle twitch in your arm or an eye murmur. It isn’t painful, but sort of annoying. I only feel it when I am laying down or in the bath. The area where these flutters are is pretty much deep in the rectum.

I just want to know what to expect? Since I am still having spasms does that mean my LIS failed? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Checkdis
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Spasms/flutter/twitch after LIS 12/21/17

Postby Mypoorbutt » 08 Jan 2018, 07:16

Hi, it could just be the nerves relaxing again after being on high alert for so long as if your not getting pain then it’s not a full on spasms.
To ease your mind I got full on 10/10 agonising spasms two weeks after my LIS because my crohns decided to flare, I was in absolute hell for a good five weeks but my fissure still managed to heal about 40% in that time even though it was down to the muscle and nearly two inches. The incision site heals completely. My spasms slowed down at the 7 week mark and by week 12 I was completely healed and now only get pain (not spasms agony) when I’m having a flare.
So I guess that’s a long winded way of saying it’s completely normal to get twinges and even bad spasms don’t stop healing
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Checkdis » 08 Jan 2018, 07:38

Thank you for the response. I feel bad for you, that sounds terrible, I am glad you feel a lot better. It seems a lot of people have horror stories with there fissures. Mine is purely on frequent urination. I have had loads of testing and ruled out everything related to my bladder and prostate. No STD, UTI, diabetes, diabetes Inspidus, prostatitis, epididymitis, PSA is good prostate is not enlarged, kidneys are great including the liver. Had an MRI, and they found nothing.

My main concern is my urination. And I have read that a side effect of fissures is frequent urination. How true is this?
Checkdis
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 08 Jan 2018, 09:23

Thanks yes I’m so much better now,
Yes I had to urinate a lot more when my fissure was bad, I’m sure it’s because all the nerves down there are heightened and everything seems to play up.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Hopefull123 » 08 Jan 2018, 09:35

I ve also noticed a pattern with spasms and frequent urination. When one muscle of the pelvic floor spasms, it can effect the rest of the muscles (bladder, ovaries, prostate, etc) because they are very close to one another.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Checkdis » 08 Jan 2018, 09:41

Hopefull123 wrote:I ve also noticed a pattern with spasms and frequent urination. When one muscle of the pelvic floor spasms, it can effect the rest of the muscles (bladder, ovaries, prostate, etc) because they are very close to one another.

Interesting, any fix for this lol. I am getting some Vitamin E and Derma E tea tree antiseptic cream. I have heard good things taking these products.
Checkdis
Salt Bather

Postby Hopefull123 » 08 Jan 2018, 09:50

I don't like taking drugs, i havent tried tjat cream, so the only thing that stops it is to stop the sphincter spasms, but that happens only after a few days on a strict diet, low residue. Meaning no fiber from beans and similar, or grains, dairy, sugar, etc. Too much fiber makes things worse for me. I do get 25 gr per day though but only from one avocado, one yam, asparagus, zucchini, radishes. These veggies do not bulk the stool thst much and it works perfectly with 500 mg of magnesium citrate. No other softeners, as one time i tool dulcoease for two days and when i stopped it, even with the magnesium tje stool became harder to push out. I don't want to create chronic laxative dependency so I am sticking to the magnesium and it works. I just have to stick with The diet as long as it will heal. Some will power is needed because I am a foodie, but at this point I am fully committed and I am seeing results.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Checkdis » 08 Jan 2018, 11:06

Hopefull123 wrote:I don't like taking drugs, i havent tried tjat cream, so the only thing that stops it is to stop the sphincter spasms, but that happens only after a few days on a strict diet, low residue. Meaning no fiber from beans and similar, or grains, dairy, sugar, etc. Too much fiber makes things worse for me. I do get 25 gr per day though but only from one avocado, one yam, asparagus, zucchini, radishes. These veggies do not bulk the stool thst much and it works perfectly with 500 mg of magnesium citrate. No other softeners, as one time i tool dulcoease for two days and when i stopped it, even with the magnesium tje stool became harder to push out. I don't want to create chronic laxative dependency so I am sticking to the magnesium and it works. I just have to stick with The diet as long as it will heal. Some will power is needed because I am a foodie, but at this point I am fully committed and I am seeing results.

I couldn’t agree with you more, I am happy i’m off all my drugs. No Valium either, but I feel like I may need to take some to help with the spasms. The Derma E Tea Tree seems to be all natural products and is over the counter at CVS.

I have been taking culace as a stood softener, and benefiber 3 times a day. Mostly eat fruits and vegetables with the occasional protein.

Man I just want to get better, and i’m sure everyone here does too. I used to be a normal person with no worries but I have been battling these issues for 8 months, it can really break a person. I just want to be well for my 1 year old son, it’s heart breaking.
Checkdis
Salt Bather

Postby Hopefull123 » 08 Jan 2018, 11:32

I know, I never though I will see the world through such a devastating perspective. I hope all of us find our solutions and get back to normal. Stay positive and imagine yourself healthy wirh as much intention as you can, although it is extremely hard, but soon your body will follow. It comforts me to search and read about miracle healings and body mind connection.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Checkdis » 08 Jan 2018, 11:53

Hopefull123 wrote:I know, I never though I will see the world through such a devastating perspective. I hope all of us find our solutions and get back to normal. Stay positive and imagine yourself healthy wirh as much intention as you can, although it is extremely hard, but soon your body will follow. It comforts me to search and read about miracle healings and body mind connection.

I find myself doing the same thing. At the beginning I was suffering from extreme anxiety, but now I seem to be doing well. The way I look at it today is I am progressing a lot from where. Was in the past. A hospital visit every Sunday, light headed, terrible thoughts, urinating every 15-20 minutes. And this was due to my estrogen (estradoil completely tanked due to medications I was taking to help my hormones. Low estrogen can cause a lot of havoc.

Now I space my fluids and drink exactly 8oz slowly as much as I need to a day. I don’t over hydrate, but drink to comfort. I take 10,000iu daily of Vitamin D3, 50mg of Zinc, and 500mg of magnesium. I will be adding Vitamin E 180mg to help promote strong tissue bonds. Milk thistle for liver support.
Checkdis
Salt Bather