I survived a cutting seton (and so can you)

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: I survived a cutting seton (and so can you)

Postby mike1971 » 04 Jun 2018, 19:34

So glad it sounds like it all worked out very well.

May I ask where you had your procedures? We're they both the same surgeon? I take it was a CRS.

Thanks for the inspiration. Hearing outcomes like this gives me hope in getting back to many of the things I enjoyed doing.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby chachacha » 04 Jun 2018, 20:15

I had both with the same surgeon, who also operated on my mother 5 times (!) for colon cancer, and it was at Womens College Hospital. He is listed by OHIP as a general surgeon, but considers himself a CRS and is listed on ratemd as such. He is also a member of the Canadian Society of Colorectal surgeons. I don't think that OHIP has a designation of CRS at all, because other Canadians on this board have said the same thing.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby mike1971 » 04 Jun 2018, 20:34

I believe your right. OHIP does not have a designation of "CRS" but they all seem to fall under the general category of "surgeons". Not 100% sure but just my observation as well. I am sure this can be confusing for people like us seeking a reputable CRS but not realizing thy may be classified as simply under the "surgeon" designation.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 04 Jun 2018, 20:41

It's really too bad that the Canadian Society of Colorectal Surgeons changed their website and didn't include the list of surgeons by area. It was an incredibly valuable feature.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby mike1971 » 04 Jun 2018, 21:17

Good point. Quite likely that many of them seem to always be relocating, imo.

Btw, are you still soaking in sitz baths multiple times a day? My question is directed to any member reading this thread.

I've become reluctant to use it. Maybe once a day lately. I use a hand sprayer with warm water for a few minutes, some mild disinfectant soap, and a warm shower. Maybe another warm / slightly hot sitz bath a few hours later. I don't add anything to the water. Used to add a tablespoon or two of Epsom salts to a gallon of water before but my surgeon said it wasn't necessary. He actually suggested a few drops of mild unscented baby soap if I wanted.

I've been using a round plastic bin with a flat bottom and filling it with 8 - 10 cm of water. Then I place it in the tub and sit for 15 minutes or so. But because it's flat and and I'm forced to sit down in the bin, my butt cheeks start to hurt after 5 minutes.

I've looked into getting an actual sitz bath from Shopper's Drug Mart but they seem really flimsy and cheap. Afraid I might not last other than a handful of times, and I hate the idea of placing it on the rim of my toilet (for clean up purposes), although it does seem that it would be a more comfortable sitting position.

I realize a sitz bath isn't rocket science, but does anyone find it is helpful to use it multiple times a day? Any tips, tricks, or suggestions for getting the most out of a sitz bath?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 13 Jun 2018, 06:05

Good questions. I'm starting to use sitz baths more and more again. I use a large plastic wash basin that I bought from the supermarket. I have a proper sitz bath too but I don't like it. I like to be able to sit down properly though. I used to squeeze a disinfectant in there, but now I just use organic soap. I might buy some baby soap instead though. I tend to watch a YouTube video or listen to the radio to make the time go faster and to focus on something other than sensation (although the sitz bath usually provides a lot of relief). Other than that, I tend to keep the water fairly hot as I find that that provides the best pain relief. I don't have any other tips in particular, but I'd love new ideas too.
Deleted User 7114

Postby Dimitri71 » 26 Jun 2018, 03:04

Hi, this is to confirm that I' m doing great!
Went to my CRS last week and he said I am healed!
Drainage has stopped after the 4-5 week. So the cutting seton finally did it.
Keep pushing, there is light at the end of the tunnel. :thankyou: :thankyou: ro all here. Hopefully the end of my fistula story.
I'll be around to help. Good healing to everyone.
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby mike1971 » 26 Jun 2018, 18:29

I'm so happy for you Dimitri!

4 to 5 weeks full healing after Seton dropped off? That is great. I've heard people needing months to heal.

Unfortunately it's been 5 weeks since my fistulotomy and I'm still nursing a small wound.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Dimitri71 » 27 Jun 2018, 01:12

Hi Mike,
thanks pal.
From what I understand you're doing a lot better.
These things take some time.
From what I read you should be out of the woods in a couple of weeks.
How are your aches going? Do you still hurt?
Did you check with another CRS. It may be worth going to a private one, to save some time.

You'll do it man, don't worry. :cheers:
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby mike1971 » 27 Jun 2018, 07:08

Not doing good Dimitri.

Still having pain after bowel movement that comes on a couple hours later and lasts for a few hours.

My general surgeon has no clue why. He referred me to his collegue another general surgeon for a "second opinion". That appt isn't until Aug 7th. I don't want to see another general surgeon, especially when they work out of the same office. The secretaries are so busy don't answer phones half time never get back to me.

I can't wait that long. Can't even get an MRI here in Canada things are so backed up.

Going to see my GP for a colorectal referral or some help. I'm in pain almost everyday.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?