I survived a cutting seton (and so can you)

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: I survived a cutting seton (and so can you)

Postby cuttingsetonsurvivor » 28 May 2018, 10:18

Oh I see. My drainage is very low, now. Occasional, really. I've stopped keeping gauze in place to collect it.
cuttingsetonsurvivor
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mike1971 » 28 May 2018, 10:51

Hey guys I had a fistulotomy 11 days ago and I have two open wounds (superficial small, not packed 1/2" right next to my anus). According to the surgeon's report they were low around the 10 and 11 am position. There were no stitches. Is this odd (no stitches)?

Well I'm still getting drainage from the area. Mostly yellow pus but have seen more blood these last 3 or 4 days. One of the fistulas he cut out was still feeding a small active skin abscess that looks like it's still infected, so I have to deal with that as well.

Have you two had the pus and blood or some other sort of discharge?

Thanks fellas would really appreciate a reply.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Dimitri71 » 28 May 2018, 11:12

Hi Mike, I had a fistulotomy and cutting seton (the cutting seton fell 20 days ago, so I'm nine days ahead of you!).
I still have some yellow drainage though significantly less than prior to the fistulotomy. In regards to blood I had some blood right after the fistulotomy and then a little bit 10 days post. Now I don't see any.
The wound is closing, there is still some left though. I am sheduled to visit my CRS around 30 days post op, so I will be in a better position to know.
I believe from what I've read that it's OK to get yellow pus like drainage and some blood for up to 1-2 months post fistulotomy. However, I believe it should be improving over time (on a weekly basis). My CRS told me that's it's OK to get drainage and it will stop when the wound fully heals.In regards to the stitches, no stitches are usually applied in this area.
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby mike1971 » 28 May 2018, 11:57

Yassou Demetri. Efxaristou filo mou.

Do you experience any pain during the day?

I have a daily pain that can come anytime but usually in the afternoons which lasts anywhere from 5 to 10 hours some days. I started experiencing this pain shortly after my abscess burst. I was hoping it was fistula or abscess pain and that the fistulotomy surgery would take care of it BUT I'm still experiencing this pain. It comes on slowly. Tightness around the analysis area. A pressure and slight burning / inflammation which gradually builds into a clamp-like sensation on my bottom for hours. Then I get a release and feel the tension go away.

I'm not sure if this pain is related to the open active abscess and fistula that the surgeon cut out, or it could be something like lavator ani. I also had a thrombosis hemorrhoid before the op, and gained an additional one after the op (now 2 in total) which maybe causing this pain? Never had thrommbosed hemorrhoids before but not sure if they would painfully flare like this on a daily basis.

Really worried at this point.

Will take it up with my surgeon when a see him in another week.

Good luck with your recovery and thanks for talking.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Dimitri71 » 28 May 2018, 12:43

Yassou Mike:) congrats on your Greek. We are both 1971 as well.
I didn't get an intense or long lasting pain with the fistula. On occassion I used to get some pain post BMs for half an hour or so. Or it hurt when the fistula path would block.
Post surgery I get the occassional throb in the wound area.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby cuttingsetonsurvivor » 28 May 2018, 14:13

FWIW, I don't recall that sort of pain post surgery. I experienced pain, just not the way you describe. I had some blockage pain after the failed LIFT. But that was minor twinges. I found that Sitz Baths, which I had dismissed as too hippy dippy even when my surgeon suggested them, were the only thing that eased pain. Narcotics were useless.
cuttingsetonsurvivor
Fibre Addict

Postby mike1971 » 28 May 2018, 14:38

Thanks fellas. I think I have something more serious on my hands with the pain I am dealing with.

It creeps up, lasts for hours, and then leaves me completely exhausted when it lets up.

I've been dealing with this pain for about 3 months now since my abscess ruptured. It's debilitating.

I wish I had your pain.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cuttingsetonsurvivor » 28 May 2018, 18:39

So sorry to hear it. I hope you are able to resolve this soon.
cuttingsetonsurvivor
Fibre Addict

Postby mike1971 » 28 May 2018, 18:58

Thank u.

I have a lot going on down there. A skin abscess that's still active, 2 open fistula wounds, and 2 thrombosed hemorrhoids.

I've got a lot on my plate. When I'm having this flare I can probe around the area and it seems more tender, sensitive, and inflamed than when I have periods of little pain. I just hope it's one or a combination of these 3 as opposed to some other underlying issue.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mike1971 » 28 May 2018, 19:23

Just read through your journey once more Cutting.

You've sure been through a lot yourself. I can't imagine having to deal with work in the condition I'm in. Can't sit for more than a minute without pain, driving my manual transmission car is just out of the question.

Did you manage to get around yourself early on or did you have some assistance?

You even managed to go through with an 8 day vacation is impressive.

Your doctor seems like a good man.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?