I survived a cutting seton (and so can you)

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: I survived a cutting seton (and so can you)

Postby cuttingsetonsurvivor » 28 May 2018, 22:16

My vacation was two weeks. The first 8 days was rough. So was entertaining 20 for Thanksgiving. And going to work was very difficult. My wife was there to help, but I did a lot on my own. I definitely prefer not to get any more fistulae, given the choice.
cuttingsetonsurvivor
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby mike1971 » 02 Jun 2018, 20:45

Hello fellas. It's been a few days. How are you all making it?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby cuttingsetonsurvivor » 02 Jun 2018, 22:46

Mostly fine. I get weird muscle twitches in the area. I think it is possible that five surgeries in a year, and the resulting pain, has resulted in some muscle issues. I don't know.
cuttingsetonsurvivor
Fibre Addict

Postby Dimitri71 » 03 Jun 2018, 08:53

Hi fellas, had a follow up visit with CRS Friday. He said wound is healing properly and should take 3-4 more weeks to close. Drainage is little now. I am cautiously optmistic.
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Dimitri71 » 03 Jun 2018, 09:03

Mike how about yiurself?
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Postby mike1971 » 03 Jun 2018, 12:18

Thanks for asking Demetri.

I'm 15 days post op. Looks like the fistulotomy wounds are healing. There doesn't seem like much of a change with the superficial skin abscess that is still draining pus, or it could be coming from the open fistula wounds. I don't know, it's a little alarming.

I've been dealing with this for a little over 3 months. I've been bed ridden most of the time. I feel weak and have lost much weight. I can't do the things I once did and see things around my home falling apart. I've been irritable and it's affecting my relationship with my girlfriend and 72 year old mother, who has left my 74 year old father alone at their country home to come and care for me full time. She is not all that well herself, but she has great will and determination.

I can't sit for long and driving is out of the question. I feel like I'm a prisoner in my own home. Really feeling depressed. Had seen the doc 3 weeks ago and he prescribed Cipralex anti-depressant. I didn't purchase them, but maybe they will do me good and rid my mind of the constant daily stress............
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Dimitri71 » 03 Jun 2018, 13:14

Hi Mike,
Fistulae do indeed influence our psychology in a negative way.
However, I don't see the correlation between fistula and physical activity. For example, I have not changed my exercise habits at all (beyond the days immediately post surgery). Usually after day 3 I was able to start light exercise, by week 2 I was jogging and by week 3-4 playing basketball.
OK sometimes when a fistula closes it may hurt a bit for a day or two, until it opens again. But it would never get me bedridden.
Are you hurting that much? I am not sure what advice to give you.
Have you had an MRI? You should go to a Top Notch CRS and get some more insightful advice.
Best Dimitri.
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Postby mike1971 » 03 Jun 2018, 13:29

Demetri, my general surgeon is the chief of surgery at my local hospital. I've been told he's a great surgeon by many different people. He's been practising for 30 years. I didn't see any Colorectal certification in his office or business card. Maybe I should see a legit CRS. I'm still experiencing this dul achy pain around my anal area that comes and goes for hours each day. It puts me out on the bed and keeps me from getting out or having physical activity. I need to take this up with my surgeon when I see him in 3 days. Taking pain killers and sitz baths in the meantime when I'm not lying down. I need help. Second opinion. Initial CT scan done 2 months ago showed a fistula before surgery nothing more. No MRI done. Maybe I should push for one. I have a few issues here like the fistula wounds, active infected skin abscess still (small surgical cut to allow it to keep draining and heal), possibly internal hemorrhoid pain? Maybe something else like muscle /anal spasm? Doctor says no fissure. My only means of communication to the outside world is my cellphone and laptop right now. Thanks for talking. Sorry 6o burden you all with my situation.

There have been many days in the last couple months where I wished I didn't wake up in the morning.

Ti Tha Kano den ksero filo mou :cry:
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cuttingsetonsurvivor » 03 Jun 2018, 13:37

When I was first dealing with the abscess that led to my fistula, I was very out of commission. Walking a block to drop my kid off at school was beyond me, because my fever would spike. Similarly, after drainage surgery for a few weeks it was really hard to get around. Just because the drain itself either was too tender or made me too anxious (it's hard to know which in retrospect). By the first seton placement, which was my third surgery, it wasn't keeping me off my feet more than a week, maybe less. The LIFT procedure barely hurt at all (but was ineffective). The cutting seton, as described, was very limiting after the placement and first tightening, for a combined 20 days. Of course, everybody is different and if you have an underlying disease or condition, YMMV. But, suffice to say, your experience sounds quite difficult compared to mine.
cuttingsetonsurvivor
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 03 Jun 2018, 13:58

Mike, I just did a search for your surgeon on ratemd and it does seem like he really is a generalist (I looked him up on the MSH website and believe that his initials are PW?). If you can, it really might be a good idea to see someone who does more work on the rectal front.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?