My (Surprisingly Painless) LIS Surgery & Recovery Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My (Surprisingly Painless) LIS Surgery & Recovery Diary

Postby mike1971 » 24 Aug 2018, 18:44

Wow 8 days and you're already feeling healed and you're out and about eating pizza?

Are you sure you had surgery?!
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby TomatoSoup » 25 Aug 2018, 01:48

mike1971 wrote:Wow 8 days and you're already feeling healed and you're out and about eating pizza?

Are you sure you had surgery?!

Haha. Yes, I'm very grateful for how this has been going. I also feared the worst before signing on to do the operation and my surgeon was very nonchalant about it. I didn't believe him when he said "you should be fine to go back to your normal life after a few days."

I also kept asking my partner, who spoke with the doctor while I was in the recovery room, if they were SURE that the doctor said he did the procedure? My partner kept laughing at me and saying that I must've been feeling the general anesthesia because I just kept asking that night when it was 13 hours post-op and I still felt fine after the anesthesia wore off.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby TomatoSoup » 25 Aug 2018, 01:57

Day 9:

Started my day with 70oz water and hot tea. The urge to go BM wasn't as strong as usual but still came out easy. I felt a tiny bit of discomfort for a quick second upon release. Only because I'm OCD I took out my camera flashlight and looked at the stool. Spotted the tiniest spec of blood. Kinda bummed me out but I tried not to think too much about it. Figuring it's ok since many people have bleeding for weeks after the surgery and this really was a very small dot.

Still wearing the padded underwear. Not seeing any drainage anymore. No issues with holding in BM when I feel the urge to head to the bathroom. Since incontinence is everyone's biggest fear I just wanted to note that I haven't felt any issues with it.

Mostly just feeling like my anus is more relaxed. I didn't think I had much sensation of a fissure before the surgery unless I touched it but now that I'm post-op I'm realizing more and more how much I'd gotten used to the something-is-slightly-wrong feeling that had been in my anal area.

Diet: scrambled eggs, tomato, chicken sausage, potatoes. Oatmeal. Pineapple bubble tea. Tomato soup and crackers. Lots of water.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Postby mike1971 » 25 Aug 2018, 08:04

Has your partner ever had a similar surgery?

He sounds like a very caring and understanding person!
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby TomatoSoup » 26 Aug 2018, 03:01

mike1971 wrote:Has your partner ever had a similar surgery?

He sounds like a very caring and understanding person!

Indeed my sig other is a very caring and understanding person. Thanks for that. They have not had this type of surgery. We've been married for a year and they've already seen me in a diaper and stuck around so I reckon I picked the right person :)
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Postby TomatoSoup » 26 Aug 2018, 03:12

Day 10:

Took a little extra water drinking to get the bowels woken up today. BM was easy, felt maybe a tiny thing while releasing. My only concern is that I again spotted a teeny tiny spot of blood in a stool. I'm OCD about this at the moment so I've been putting toilet paper in the bowl first, then BM, then I grab my cell phone flashlight and examine it. I'm not sure what that streak of blood means, if anything. I keep reminding myself I just had fissure surgery, but of course my anxious mind wonders if it's a sign of something serious. I'll keep monitoring.

I only feel the incision a tiny bit at this point. I did some kegels and could feel it on the left side of the anus but barely. All n' all my anus feels a lot healthier and relaxed.

My one other concern is: I'm still wearing a thin adult diaper under my boxer briefs. I get a slight itch or general "time to freshen up" feeling about once or twice a day. Keep in mind I'm pretty active at this point. Driving, grocery shopping, went to a dinner party. But still it concerns me that I check the diaper before hopping in the shower and it smells like butt. I know, I know. It's a pad that's up against my butt all day, but again my anxious mind starts thinking, "Wait, what if this is slight incontinence?" That said, I'm only 10 days out. Also, I've been hopping in the shower after BM's and letting the water rinse back there, but I do not have a detachable shower head so it's kinda hard to really get the water hitting it right. I also later up some soap on my hand and very quickly and nervously wipe back there. I think I might need to be more normal about washing my butt now and see if that helps reduce the swamp butt effect.

Maybe TMI, but hey it's a fissure forum.

Diet: Oatmeal, lots of water and tea. 2 chicken sausages. Dinner party: 2 slices pizza, caesar salad, coke, wine, cookie.

Didn't feel great about having junk food again this early but tried to chew extra well.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Postby TomatoSoup » 27 Aug 2018, 13:21

Day 11:

Drank water until BM. No strain. Didn't spot any blood in stool while examining. I'm still not using toilet paper, jumping in shower after BM. Washing more thoroughly back there in hopes that my recent not-so-fresh feeling by the end of the day is caused by timidly soaping up back there for so long.

All n' all things feel really good. Lived life pretty normally. Still no lifting or exercise but driving, going out with friends.

Diet: Oatmeal, 2 chicken sausages, 1 piece toast n jam, tea. Dinner: Cheeseburger, fries, and coke.

Was a little anxious about the burger dinner but tried to chew extra thoroughly. Honestly, now that I'm writing this halfway through the day after, the BM today was a bit harder and worried me a bit as it passed. Def gonna get back to oatmeal and soups for the next couple days.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Postby TomatoSoup » 28 Aug 2018, 00:07

Day 12:

I kinda referenced today in the last post since I posted it this morning.

BM was a bit bigger and harder than I wanted and felt a tad rough on the way out. Noticed tiny spots of blood in stool when examining up close. Of course freaked myself out that I had something more serious than a fissure going on. Called the doc and am waiting on a return call. Have my followup in 10 days.

Anus feels pretty good over all. I think maybe today's BM aggravated the incision a tad because I can feel it but barely. Still wearing the padded underwear until headed to a big wedding weekend in a few days.

Not much to report. I'm holding off on looking at my bottom until thursday when it'll be 2 weeks since surgery.

Diet: Oatmeal, tea, toast n jam, chicken sausage. Dinner: Turkey sandwich, chips, piece of chocolate.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Postby TomatoSoup » 29 Aug 2018, 00:14

Day 13:

Smooth sailing today. Was relieved that today's BM looked very healthy upon inspection :) No pain at all. No blood.

I'm still avoiding exercise and lifting stuff but feel totally normal. I'm waiting the full 2 weeks before examining my anus but it feels really healthy. Hoping the fissure has healed. Also hoping the excision of the sentinel piles was a success. Feels pretty smooth when washing in shower.

Diet: oatmeal, chicken sausage, muffin. Split pea soup and crackers. Small slice pizza, salad. Chocolate.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Postby TomatoSoup » 19 Oct 2018, 22:25

Day 64:

Crazy how time flies. I know this site was done a few times so I fell off on the updates.

Unfortunately it has not been all smooth sailing for me. I've lost track of the timeline a bit. I made a separate post about my setback after one month. I had a small re-tear, saw some blood in the bowl, and went back to the clinic and saw a different surgeon who prescribed nifedipine 3x a day until the jar runs out. I've been applying it pretty consistently for the last 3 weeks though i find it nearly impossible to do 3x a day.

I'm still very anxious when I have to take a BM as I keep fearing a re-tear or spotting blood on the stool. I put down toilet paper in the bowl and squat on the lid for easy bowel release and so I can get a good look at the stool. I haven't seen any blood for the last 2-3 weeks except outta nowhere I saw a drop or two of blood today. I thought I was in the clear again but gotta admit I get really bummed when I see any blood. I thought I'd be all healed up by now.

I have been working on keeping my stress low by meditating an hour a day. My sleep has been so much better. I'm trying not to let my mind obsess on my anal issue. I'm gonna get back on this recovery journal. It definitely helps keep things in perspective.

Wishing the best for all you guys.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather