44 male, TX, LIS scheduled 6/28/22

LIS diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

44 male, TX, LIS scheduled 6/28/22

Postby Rlt78 » 21 Jun 2022, 18:21

Hello all,

I would like to chronicle my upcoming LIS surgery experience. I will post as soon as I can after surgery to provide my experience.

Background- I have been dealing with the dreaded fissure for a little over 4 months. Creams and over the counter meds have not helped. Sitz bath does give me some relief but it’s inconsistent results. In talking with my CRS decided LIS was my best option.

As the surgery date quickly approaches I am getting more and more nervous but I have to do all I can to get my life back. The pain has been debilitating at times and depressing.

My AF started with constipation and overall poor diet. I’m now drinking tons of water and taking a fiber supplement. My stools are bulky but soft and my pain only erupts soon after bms.

I wish you all health and a pain free life and will post again soon. If any of you have suggestions or tips please feel free to share. Thank you all for your time, stories, and openness.
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: 44 male, TX, LIS scheduled 6/28/22

Postby Dust 2 Dust » 23 Jun 2022, 17:37

All the best of luck to you. Keep us informed. I've been suffering for 3 months and I've got a consultation with CS in July. I'm currently on week 2 of nefedepine with no improvements.
March 2022 Suffered anal fissure.

April-May 2022 Went undiagnosed because GP couldn't see the fissure.

June 1st 2022 Officially diagnosed with fissure by GI and given nefedapine.

July 2022 Botox injection under anesthesia
Dust 2 Dust
Salt Bather

Postby Rlt78 » 24 Jun 2022, 20:51

Thank you. Definitely getting nervous but I’m all set for a 10am surgery time. Putting all my trust in the CRS.

I also tried Diltiazem and Nifidepine for 6 weeks each with no noticeable improvements. The only thing that slightly helps are the sitz baths and managing my diet, keeping my stools soft. Even when I’m not at my worst pain, I still feel a pinch/discomfort.

I will be sure to post after the procedure. As many experiences as we can get on these forums I know will help us all.

Good luck to you
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Postby Worstyear » 27 Jun 2022, 06:56

I promise it will be better than the fissure! Keep us updated and good luck tomorrow.
Just follow the doctors instructions, I swear I almost had a panic attack before surgery but everything is going great and I just had it 20 days ago!
Worstyear
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Rlt78 » 27 Jun 2022, 08:04

That is very reassuring!! Thank you so much for the reply and positivity. It’s nerve racking for sure. I will be sure to follow the doctors instructions and praying for this nightmare to end.

I will post here in this thread as soon as I am able to tomorrow and when I’m coherent.

Thank you all for reading along and sharing.
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Postby Rlt78 » 28 Jun 2022, 12:52

Day 1 - Just got out of surgery 30 minutes ago. Nurses and facility were good. Went in at 10am got the anesthesia drip through IV and I was out in minutes. Didn’t wake up at all till they roused me awake. Was there in total about 1 hr and 50 minutes.

Doctor came in and said all went well. He did see some tunneling, ie, fistula. And he stated he corrected that as well. So got the LIS and fistula corrected.

No pain so far, still under the effects of anesthesia. Have dr prescribed pain killers but aiming to not take if possible. I’m praying recovery is smooth. But will let you all know.

This procedure was done in Texas.

Will update tomorrow. Hoping for an uneventful BM and urination.

Thanks
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Postby Dust 2 Dust » 28 Jun 2022, 14:44

Awesome news. Glad everything is going well. I will say a prayer to the creator for you tonight.
March 2022 Suffered anal fissure.

April-May 2022 Went undiagnosed because GP couldn't see the fissure.

June 1st 2022 Officially diagnosed with fissure by GI and given nefedapine.

July 2022 Botox injection under anesthesia
Dust 2 Dust
Salt Bather

Postby Rlt78 » 28 Jun 2022, 14:58

Wow, thank you so much! I thankfully have been able to urinate with no issues. I was dreading the thought of a catheter. The nurse said I was good to take a shower this evening so I will jump at the chance.

I will say the anesthesia did cause me some nausea but I am over that now thankfully.

I have had a bit of gas escape noticeably easier than before and I feel it was uncontrolled. I know that it is a known side effect so not too worried at this point.

Will take it day by day. Ate some soup and banana and drank my fiber. Really love my fiber supplement and it helps to bulk my stools and keeping them soft.

Will update with day 2 tomorrow. Thanks all and best wishes.
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Postby Worstyear » 29 Jun 2022, 06:44

In so glad that you did the surgery if you had a fistula!!!
The gas is totally normal, I had that for a week. Then everything settles. Don't worry and take care, if you feel tired don't force it and don't wait for the pain to come, if you manage that I swear you will be fine!
Big hug to you!
Worstyear
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Rlt78 » 29 Jun 2022, 12:07

Day 2 - pain definitely showed up last night. Was maybe 5/10. As many people say, it’s a surgery pain not like the fissure pain. I took a couple of Motrin and it took the edge off. So far only using Motrin and Tylenol but haven’t had to use too many so far.

Have not had my first BM yet. I have felt urges but it’s just not coming and don’t want to strain. Didn’t eat too much yesterday anyway. Hoping to have a movement tonight or tomorrow morning. Nurse said to drink two table spoons of milk of magnesia if I don’t have a BM by tomorrow morning.

Have taken a shower this morning to remove the last pieces of bandages and just had a warm bath to relax. Having some slight bleeding but nothing excessive. No real leaking and gas slippage has calmed down.

I’m hoping for a better more restful night tonight. Overall pain 8 hours after Motrin is still minimal, 1/10.

Will continue with updates. Feel free to ask any questions.
Rlt78
Salt Bather