44 male, TX, LIS scheduled 6/28/22

LIS diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 44 male, TX, LIS scheduled 6/28/22

Postby Rlt78 » 07 Jul 2022, 10:45

Hi Dust,

Good question. I would say stock up on at least a week’s worth of supplies/food. Generally speaking they say expect signs of recovery within 2 weeks. Of course everyone’s healing experience is different but for me by 1 week after surgery I could get out of the house with no issue and grocery shop, drive, walk/sit for extended periods of time.

It depends also on how long you will need to take painkillers as those could effect your motor skills.

It was helpful for me to have someone around nearby the first few days to help me out of the bath and help dress me. I was just a bit too sore and had limited range of motion.

Please make sure you have someone take you home after the surgery. You will definitely be pretty woozy immediately afterwards.

Key supplies that I can think of:

Sitz bath
Motrin/ibuprofen/Tylenol
Gauze
Depends/Pamper type underwear
Stool softeners
Miralax or Milk of Magnesia
Wet wipes
Patience

Keep us posted on your progress and if/when you will have surgery.
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Dust 2 Dust » 07 Jul 2022, 11:59

I Suffered a retear a few days ago so I'm gonna push for surgery when I meet the CS on Monday. I've had mixed results with colace but Miralax has been a godsend. I also quit taking fiber supplements because they were bulking the stool and rubbing against the fissure when passing. They also made me bloated. How long did you wear the diapers?
March 2022 Suffered anal fissure.

April-May 2022 Went undiagnosed because GP couldn't see the fissure.

June 1st 2022 Officially diagnosed with fissure by GI and given nefedapine.

July 2022 Botox injection under anesthesia
Dust 2 Dust
Salt Bather

Postby Rlt78 » 07 Jul 2022, 12:14

I’m still wearing the pampers. The ones I got are called “depends real fit”. They are okay, do the job anyway. My leakage is less as of today but still present. Will let you know when I’m pamper free))

Yea, my fiber makes me pretty gassy but helps to keep stool soft. I only used the milk of magnesia once to help me have a BM two days after surgery. Colace I think works good for me. I’m pretty bulky but hasn’t been too much of an issue pain wise. Some slight stinging but goes away fast. Still getting random higher level stings during the day but they fade fast. Still early on in this process I guess.
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Postby Rich44 » 07 Jul 2022, 13:21

I never had any leakage. I don't know if I mentioned this but I had an anal manometry test prior to surgery to make sure I could tolerate the incision without any concern for incontinence. My muscle was so strong it was off the chart so there were no worries. I go to my surgeon tomorrow for the post-op visit for my hernias I had repaired two weeks ago. I was having a lot of pain and swelling in my scrotum all last week but thankfully all of that is ok now.

If you get really gassy from fiber why not try Citrucel? I have big time gas issues from IBS-C (so much so that probiotics are out) and fiber like psyllium kills me (so does . Citrucel on the other hand doesn't ferment in the gut and that means no gas!

Dust 2 Dust I feel you are making a big mistake in not having bulkier stools. You are preventing the fissure from healing because your sphincter needs bulky stools to work properly. If you are taking the right amount of fiber it won't matter than the bulky stool "rubs" against fissure (all your stools rub against it) because a bulky stool will also be soft. Otherwise the sphincter will get tighter and tighter, restrict blood flow and prevent healing of the wound. You should also go buy Citrucel immediately and you will have no bloat from fiber. You are doing the typical fissure sufferer pattern. You are looking for a quick fix for pain so you take Miralax for comfort rather than fiber for proper BM. You have it backwards. No Miralax (especially if you do not suffer from IBS-C) and definitely fiber!
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rlt78 » 07 Jul 2022, 14:03

Thanks Rich. I will definitely try the Citrucel. Unfortunately I did not think about doing the pressure test prior to surgery, but I feel my leakage is becoming less and less each day.
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Postby Dust 2 Dust » 11 Jul 2022, 10:53

I just left the CS office. I'm getting botox first. Will keep you updated.

Dust 2 Dust
Salt Bather

Postby Rlt78 » 11 Jul 2022, 13:44

Thanks for the update! I never tried the Botox, my CRS was not a fan of it. I hope it gives you great relief!

When are you scheduled for?

I’m out of wearing pampers! I’m a big kid now! Not having any issues with leakage anymore.

Will give more information on my week 2 progress after surgery tomorrow.
Rlt78
Salt Bather

Postby Dust 2 Dust » 11 Jul 2022, 14:05

My CRS seems more conservative. Said he does botox first always and says he has an 80 percent success rate. He also wants me to stop putting nefedapine up my butt. Hes switching me to diltiazem and wants me to apply it on the anus 3 times per day not inside. If no improvement after 2 weeks then I get LIS. I'm still waiting on the office to call me to schedule the appt.

Dust 2 Dust
Salt Bather

Postby Dust 2 Dust » 11 Jul 2022, 14:11

It's amazing how all these different doctors have varying opinions on what meds to take and how to take them. The gastro told me to apply the nifedapine into the sphincter. The CS told me to just massage it on the sphincter to prevent pain and agitation. CS also told me he never prescribes Nitro because "it's crap" in his words but others hear swear by Nitro.

Dust 2 Dust
Salt Bather

Postby Rlt78 » 11 Jul 2022, 14:24

Interesting, I’m thinking the creams didn’t work for me really at all because I had a fistula. I didn’t know I had that till my crs told me immediately after my surgery.

I was told you can apply the creams just a bit inside the anus and rub around the outside. Like just around the tip of your fingernail should penetrate. But again, follow the advice of the doctor you trust most. Who really knows what is the right way. Kinda crazy.
Rlt78
Salt Bather