Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Postby crimeofpassion » 20 Jul 2009, 06:11

Well, I sit, like, 85/90% of the day! So I'm sure that's not helping. But it's impossible to avoid.
I'm not positive whether or not the sitting is what's setting off the spasms (or making them worse), to be honest. They always happen every day, so...
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2009, 06:51

How much of the day are you spasming?
I hope the benefibre does help. Also I do go more around that time of the month, maybe twice a day so I try to back off a little of the fibre then..
How are you feeling today?

Postby crimeofpassion » 20 Jul 2009, 17:44

Oh, gee, I dunno... I'd have to try and count. In general, though, I spasm pretty often.
I'm sore today. Sitting just makes me really ache and actually burn, it seems like. Image
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 20 Jul 2009, 23:10

Passion sweetie - did you ever go to new CRS for second opinion Image ? It is absolutely necessary for you to do that and it brakes my heart to read that you still have spasms since they are preventing your healing Image Image Image ... I can not be on this board often any more, please take my advice and go, find the CRS who knows how to do correct LIS and heal you !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby crimeofpassion » 21 Jul 2009, 17:36

I did, actually (you can read about it on page 7), and I'm seeing her again on Thursday. I'm a little nervous...I hope I don't have an abscess or fistula.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby crimeofpassion » 23 Jul 2009, 13:43

So I had my second appointment with the other colorectal surgeon (not the one who did my LIS) today. She didn't see a fissure this time either. Maybe it's healed, or maybe she just can't see it. I've had that happen with doctors before. When she pressed on the area where the LIS incision was made, like she did last time, I still had a lot of pain. She tried pressing on other areas and that was really the only spot that was painful. She didn't see any obvious signs of infection or a fistula, though, so her guess was that I might just be a slow healer. She did say I was pretty tight, which bummed me out - LIS was supposed to fix that!
Anyway, she wants me to stop the Nitro cream and use Anusol suppositories covered in a small amount of Lidocaine. She thought this might help with the incision pain. What do you guys think?
Also, does anyone know if it's normal or not to tighten up for awhile after a BM?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 23 Jul 2009, 13:46

That second question is a good one! I would think, probably so, as it is generally after the BM that the sphincter can go so crazy and spasm. But I would onbly be guessing, myself.
I like the idea of the lidocaine suppository. But what about your continuing spasms, how was that addressed?
Deleted User 5

Postby crimeofpassion » 23 Jul 2009, 20:07

Her thought was that the spasms might be caused by the incision irritation/inflammation, and that once that is under control, they'll stop. Image Personally, I'm not 100% convinced my fissure itself is healed. I went in 3 separate times to see a regular surgeon at the same clinic about a year ago, as we were initially unable to get an appointment with the woman I'm seeing, the colorectal surgeon. And after my first appointment with the regular surgeon, they wanted me to continue seeing him rather than switch doctors. Rather stupid, if you ask me. Anyway, he NEVER saw my fissure. He was convinced I didn't have one. But when I finally did see a colorectal surgeon, the one who did my surgery, he saw it right away. Image
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Jul 2009, 05:49

Fissures should be easy to spot. My GP saw mine immediately, way back when I thought I just had hemmorhoids. He went, "OOOH!" But then he only went on to treat me for hemorrhoids!!!
Let's hope she is right and yur spasms will die back as the irritation and inflammation does the same!!
Deleted User 5

Postby crimeofpassion » 27 Jul 2009, 19:59

Yeah. I saw him a bunch of times over the course of probably over 4 months, and he NEVER saw it. He almost convinced me that I didn't have one.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist