Jax's LIS Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Jax's LIS Diary

Postby jax » 07 Jun 2012, 18:58

Day 1
So the procedure today was very fast. I got to the hospital at 8:30am, got into the OR by 10:30 and was up in the recovery room by 11:45.
Everything when I woke up felt fine. I was given some thing to drink and eat and was sent home with my gf and sister with some prescriptions.
I'm taking vicodin, ibuprofen and miralax. I'm not in any discomfort or pain when I'm still but when I move in certain positions I get spasms that do hurt. I'm not sure if these spasm are normal. I hope it stops soon When I spasm the pain def radiates from the incision site. I also get a spasm when I pee which is not fun.
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby jax » 07 Jun 2012, 19:00

All in all I'm doing okay. There's no sign that I even had the surgery until the spasm kick in, which suck but happens only a few times every few hours.
Ooh btw, I'm not looking forward to my second BM. You're right I said second. I had my first one after the surgery in the dressing without knowing it because it was so loose down there.
jax
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 07 Jun 2012, 19:19

Jax,
Congratulations on making it through your surgery so you're now on the other side ... Image
Let the healing begin! Image
I hope your recovery goes easily and swiftly and you are feeling better soon soon soon and that your second bathroom trip isn't bad for you at all. Image
Plenty of rest, baths, your favorite movies, and tender loving care (not to mention keeping ahead of the pain with painkillers) ...
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 44alegna44 » 07 Jun 2012, 20:21

Hey Jax,
Welcome to the "already had it" side of this page. Image
So glad you're home now recovering Image The end is near, just stick with the diet that works for your bm's, and ditto jr...rest as much as possible to help the healing along Image
I'm super excited for you and pray for comfort through your recovery and successful healing just around the corner Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jax » 08 Jun 2012, 05:44

Day 2
I didn't sleep one hour last night. I dont have pain when on my feet waddling around the house or laying down, but I've been getting these spasms that have kept me up all night. I get them right as i al about to fall asleep. This is the same spasm I get when I goto pee. Except I feel like I need to pee every 30 min. So as I'm trying to goto sleep I get feeling I need to pee which in return causes spasms in the anal area.
jax
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 08 Jun 2012, 07:21

Good morning Jax,
Sorry you had rough night...I hope today you'll be able to close your eyes and get some zzz's, you surely need it.
I did see davo's reply and possibly this is a gender based symptom with regards to the peeing...no matter what I don't see any harm with placing a call to your crs and running this by him...he should be aware and also have the opportunity to put you at ease with his professional input regarding the peeing/spasm.
Please remain positive, you're fresh out of surgery and the healing is just beginning...so do your best to rest and remain consistent with your aftercare...these symptoms will ease up and you will feel relief..my advice to everyone is always give yourself at least one week for your body to adjust to the surgery and get started on the healing path.

Continued Best Wishes for rest and healing...
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jax » 08 Jun 2012, 07:43

Thanks for the kind words Angel. I have call my crs nd they asked me to go in for a check today. On the brighter side, I just had a BM that was surprisingly less painful than those spasms. I could feel how raw my anal area is during this process but it wasn't painful. I did have to strain alot tho even though it was soft.
jax
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 08 Jun 2012, 07:55

Thanks for that update jax, I'm glad your doc is gonna have a look....it's the best form of reassurance for you that all is well :D
That you can say there is a brighter side with your bm not being sooo bad is Great! For all of us who have surgery that's always on our fear factor list, so to get through with a less than expected pain level is very relieving. Image
Let us know how things go with the doc...
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jax » 08 Jun 2012, 11:51

So the nurse practitioner took a look and said everything looks like it should. The incision is good and nothing seems to look like its infected or will be. The drainage is normal and it smells :(.
She gave me some Percocets in replace of the Vicodin in hoping that it would lessen the spasm pain. I have learned to control most of the spasms. I think it's from my sphincter being used to holding things in until I'm ready. With it being so loose and sore, things are sliding thru and it's natural reaction is to tighten up, which freaking hurts. So I'm making a conscious effort to just letting gas and whatever pass.
jax
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 08 Jun 2012, 14:10

Yay...very reassuring Image . I'm sure that put your mind at ease :D
It does kind of suck that you have to experience the pain of spasms after surgery, when this didn't seem to be an issue before Image But, it will definitely subside...then be gone Image The perc's should do you good in the meantime.
Hoping you get a good nights sleep tonight...and look forward to your continued updates of progress Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist