Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 09:32

10:15- 2 days post-op
. •drank tons of water last night
. • no problem at all urinating a lot during the night (many times and much volume).
. colace, probiotic pill, ibuprofen, vitamin c, raw extra virgin coconut oil (eaten), ice
. • used alarm to not miss any pain meds and pain is not much at this time
. • ate light meals every 4 hours or so, whey and berries
. •same discharge. Looks pink and not too much
. • getting lots of sleep. 5 hours or so , so far. Pain pills helping.
. blood pressure 102/69 upon walking
. body temp 98
. passed more gas. Hardly pushed at all.
. no bm yet since last night
All seems good at this time.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 15:47

3:00 PM (2 days after surgery)
- slept most of the day
- woke every 4 hours to take the pain pills
- drank lots of water
- no more issues with urinating
- No BM since last night
- sucked down 4 glasses of water
- made shake with whey, berries, banana, apple, coconut, unsweetened coacoa, flax, peanut butter, skim
4:00 PM- I'm now energized from the rest and the health shake. I got out the 20 lb dumbbell and performed 45 minutes of light weight sets. I had help from my sons, leaned against the wall, and focused on not tensing up the anal area. The weight is extremely light (usually use around 75lb. dumbells for most exercises), but at least this is something to make sure I don't have muscle atrophy.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 16:52

5:00 PM- Ok, so when I woke today, I was tired and my body felt weak, drugged, and stiff. But after loading up on health foods, green tea, etc. and working out I feel better. I really helped that I got lots of sleep. It just felt good to get out of the bed and move around for the first time. Between all of this and the fact that I did not miss any pain medicine doses (due to setting the alarm to take it), I am in very little pain. Now, the energy surge is starting to fade.
I was walking and gas passed (outside of my control). Then I sat on the toilet to prepare for a BM and a bunch more came out. This is to be expected based on everything I ate; however, the point is that I no longer have to push to get the gas to come out. I am guessing that the swelling is down. The ice and the ibuprofen I took may have helped also.
5:30 PM (2 days after surgery) - no bowel movement since last night. Getting ready for one now. I have down tons of water in the last 3 hours (like 5 glasses). I have the tub clean and filled with warm water so that I can hop in it in case this one is bad like the first one from yesterday.
5:35 PM : stool was soft, well formed, and pretty thick. Its always the first BM of the day that is the largest for me. This seems to be because over 12 hours sometimes passes between the last BM of the night before and due to sleeping. But the BMs are extremely soft.
Today's first BM was larger than yesterdays, and a decent amount of volume. Still urinating with no issues. There was some blood on the toilet paper. There was no burning at first. Then I used the baby wipes. That made it start burning a lot. The wipes usually don't burn me. But after the first BM of the day, which is usually the largest since over 12 hours usually passes since the last one, it always seems to burn. I read the box of wipes. It states no alcohol. But it has aloe and a bunch of other ingredients. Maybe its just the liquid that starts the burning. I'm really not sure.
I wanted to jump in the tub as soon as possible in the hopes that the burning would stop. Getting in the tub doesn't really stop the burning. The burning is not as bad as last time. But it does not feel good! I can't really tell where the burning is coming from (fissure itself, sphincter cut, or just a general stretching of the area). But it seems to be close to the outside since the burning started with the wipes.
So, my pain free day is over. And I'm sure I'll have a couple more BM tonight. But, it is much better than yesterdays agonizing pain. Overall, I'm doing much better. I am guessing that after I sleep, then I will wake in the morning and start drinking water, etc.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 06 Oct 2012, 18:07

I would stop using the baby wipes and instead use cotton balls with Balneol lotion and see if that stops the burning. That is what Mayo clinic recommends if you have an AF. This is my last day of ibuprofen for my tooth. Our lunch for my son's new gf went well today.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 18:09

7pm(2 days after surgery)- doing ok.
Eggs, canned squash, boiled carrot and brocolli, avocodo, banana, mate tea, colace, Probiotic, olive oil
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 20:01

cherylk wrote:I would stop using the baby wipes and instead use cotton balls with Balneol lotion and see if that stops the burning. That is what Mayo clinic recommends if you have an AF. This is my last day of ibuprofen for my tooth. Our lunch for my son's new gf went well today.

Thanks for all the replies.
9:00 PM (2 days after surgery) - I stopped using the baby wipes and it seems to have helped. I just had BM #2 for the day and it was easy and hardly any pain. It started burning a bit after I was finished. I used Toilet Paper only and patted very well. Then it was off to soak in the tub. The burning wasn't nearly as bad as before. I also put the water a bit hotter in the tub this time. I will have to find some of the Balneol lotion. I'll have my wife check at Walgreens.
Hope your tooth feels fine. Also, do you have any links to any good posts on here concerning squatting. If I recall, you mentioned squatty potty in a previous post. I found a few of the products on amazon. I always experiment with different positions as I think it has helped me in the past. I was just wondering if there were any discussions with people on here that have tried it and their results. I could even use a stool or something for now. However, I'm a little afraid to go experimenting too much just after surgery without at least hearing what others have experienced with this. I didn't really get too much when searching in the forum.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 06 Oct 2012, 20:46

There are several threads on here for squatting:
http://anal-fissure.org/search?search_keywords=squatting&search_where=f2
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 21:39

cherylk wrote:There are several threads on here for squatting:
http://anal-fissure.org/search?search_keywords=squatting&search_where=f2

Thanks. I was using the wrong keywords when searching. Image I'll read through them.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 21:45

10:40 PM (2 days after surgery) - So far, so good. I've been making sure I take the pain medicine on an empty stomach, because I am finding that it works a lot better that way. I'm in very little pain tonight, no issues urinating, and using heating pad before BM and sitz bath after. I am passing gas every now and then. That hurts a little bit as it shakes everything around. Ate canned oysters, almond butter, orange juice, berries, 1 oz. of cheese, banana, applesauce, coconut oil, rooibos tea, and lots of water. I walked around the house a bit this evening. Now I'm sitting on ice and laying in the bed.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 23:58

1am, early morning of day 3 after surgery. More of the same. Less pain, another soft good BM. Gained 8 lbs in the last week. This is from being stuck in bed, bloated with fluids that I am drinking to fight pain medicine constipation, no gym, switched from veggies to bananas and apples, and more worried about how food affects my BM consistency than my wasteline.
Anyway- drainage is the same, pink and not too much, not a lot of blood or pain during BM, except first BM of day.swelling seems less, getting around slowly and laying in bed a lot, urinating with ease now, setz bath after each BM, changing toilet paper drainage catcher a lot, drying with fan setting on hair dryer after cleaning, taking pain meds, using heat and ice, and stuffing tons of mostly soft and healthy foods down my throat (with with some soluable and nonsoluable fiber rich foods) to keep causing bowel movements. Its is keeping me busy and i try to rest a lot also.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist