Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Thanks

Postby Sorew5 » 19 Nov 2012, 18:29

Thanks ryanman for all your info. I am 4 days post op and was feeling very down and like the pain is never going to end but your posts have really helped. Usually my setbacks are bm's which cause about two hours of pain after but I really hope that stops soon. I have a 3 hour flight on sat so not sure how I'll cope with that but will be on holiday and just chilling by the beach etc so should be ok. Certainly easier Han being at work. Work keep asking when I'll be back. Doubtful that it will be before my holiday. I had skin tag removed also and the swelling is pretty big from that. Currently typing this with a heat pad on my back! You must be so happy to be 5 wks post op...
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Postby richibeno » 19 Nov 2012, 22:27

great news ,
keep up that great healing
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby ryanman0 » 24 Nov 2012, 18:40

Thanks to all who have replied.
7 weeks post-op update:
Unfortunately, I have had some minor pain over the last three days. I had a very thick BM, which seemed to cause me a bit of pain. There was no bleeding; however, my BM's over the last three days that followed this have become increasingly painful. The pain is not very bad though. Definitely nothing that requires pain meds. Its just that recently, my BMs were totally smooth, relaxing, and pain free.
Furthermore, the last couple of days have brought some minor pain at times during the day when sitting and walking. Again, this is nothing that will keep me from driving or working. I just hope it doesn't keep getting worse.
Also, I also worked out very hard (straining) and playing basketball. So, I can't positively rule out the physical activity playing some part. However, I have been doing that for weeks now. And the pain started exactly when I had the super thick BM. So, I am guessing it was probably just the thick BM. I had eaten a lot of fiber (flax, veggies, etc.) in the preceding days and that is the only thing that I can think of that might have bulked up my BM so much. I might not have drank enough water. It seems that the better things get down there, the more I forget to be so diligent about it.
Anyway, I am glad there is no bleeding. What I don't know is if this pain is from the fissures or from the LIS cut. I am hoping that its just the LIS cut getting stretched from the thick BM. Other than the pain, I really wouldn't care if the LIS cut took a long time to heal. I am guessing that might help to keep things looser anyway which may even be beneficial if it takes a long time to heal. Also, I am guessing that if it was the fissures, there might be some blood. However, I have had fissure pain before with no blood. So, I am not sure. Anyway, I'm just guessing.
Also, I haven't had any issues from the procedure relating to holding my bowels or leakage. There are times when I pass gas a little easier than I expected. But, that hasn't happened in any meetings or awkward situations yet.
So, in summary, I am still doing fine and nothing major has happened. Its just that I am still facing small periodic setbacks at 7 weeks post-op. My biggest fear is that the pain could continue to get worse and things might start to get bad down there again. But, hopefully, my recovery will resume the improvement that I had previously. If it does get worse, I'll go to the doc and have him check the fissures out to make sure they are still healing.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby Sorew5 » 04 Dec 2012, 05:39

Hi ryanman. How are you going with your recovery? I hope you are well and pain free!
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Postby ryanman0 » 04 Dec 2012, 12:56

2 months post-op update
Thanks for asking, Sorew5. Its now 2 months since the surgery. I have good news to report. The last week has been totally pain free. The issues I was having a week ago are gone. I continue to play basketball, go very heavy (straining) with the weights, and attend step class. Also, I have no big issues with sitting for a long time. I do still grab a cushion when sitting on a hard chair. But, really its life back to normal. None of this has bothered the area. BMs are pain free.
I also had two somewhat thick BM over the last week. However, (so far) this didn't appear to affect the area. They caused no pain or blood. Whenever I notice that the BMs get too bulky, I just cut back on the fiber I eat for a couple of days.
Anyway, (so far) none of this has bothered the area. So, I'm back to feeling like everything is healed up. Hopefully, the problems I had last week with the pain were the last of this. Right now, I'm very happy that I got the surgery because I feel fissure free and I have felt so for the last week.
Unfortunately, my wife has pneumonia and one of my sons have the flu.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 04 Dec 2012, 17:24

Ryan,
You've done great. Image I'm happy for you. Why don't you do a search for "LIS results" and synopsize your story there also. You've written a long narrative with lots of details, but your successful saga might get "lost" after you likely leave this little group and go on your merry way. Your success will give a lot of despairing people hope. I hope your wife and son get feeling better soon! Did they both get the flu shot? I've been reading that flu season is starting and it is supposed to be a bad one. I'm so happy I got my flu shot weeks ago!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Sorew5 » 05 Dec 2012, 06:27

Yay that's great news! I am so happy for you :)
Sorry to hear about your family.. I guess it's your turn to look after them as they looked after you during your op recovery Image make sure they take lots of vitamins. My favorite cure is half a pint of cranberry and half of pineapple juice.. Always kills germs!
I hope they get better soon and thank you for all your posts. Really helpful to know there's light at the end of the tunnel.. I just have to wait another six weeks I guess :)
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 06 Dec 2012, 15:20

I took time to read the entire thread Ryanman0, you are a great inspiration with such a detail thread on your post surgery ordeal.
It actually has given me hope, it is light at the end of the tunnel after all.
I got two more month to make up my mind about surgery, if my fissure doesn't get any better.
Thanks so much, please take care of your family, I am fighting a nasty cold myself right now.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby SteveR » 08 Dec 2012, 13:15

Any updates?
SteveR
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby ryanman0 » 15 Dec 2012, 14:22

cherylk wrote:Ryan,
You've done great. Image I'm happy for you. Why don't you do a search for "LIS results" and synopsize your story there also. You've written a long narrative with lots of details, but your successful saga might get "lost" after you likely leave this little group and go on your merry way. Your success will give a lot of despairing people hope. I hope your wife and son get feeling better soon! Did they both get the flu shot? I've been reading that flu season is starting and it is supposed to be a bad one. I'm so happy I got my flu shot weeks ago!!

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Once I get some time, I'll try to summarize my story as suggested above. The good news is that my wife and son got better. Then I got sick and am doing better now. The bad news is that now my youngest (12 year old) has it. We did not get a flu shot this year. Thanks!
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist