An unfortunate failed LIS not for the faint of heart)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

An unfortunate failed LIS not for the faint of heart)

Postby Fernie1 » 18 Aug 2012, 11:55

Well I went for a check up to my crs yesterday after 2 months post LIS and he said my fissure has not healed. He said I fall into that 5% of people that don't heal
You guys can imagine how heart broken I am. I seriously thought That after surgery this chapter of my life would be over. My fissure still aches an st Image ings my bum just fe els sore all the time. Crs has now put me on diazepam and nifedipine suppository for a month. Don't know if this will help me but... I am hopeful. Please if anyone anyone at all has had a similar experience
Please. Talk to me. Thank you
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: An unfortunate failed LIS not for the faint of heart)

Postby Savaici » 18 Aug 2012, 13:23

So sorry that things are not going so well. Might I ask if you have your medical records on the procedure from the hospital, so you can see just how much the CRS cut into the sphincter? It is not uncommon to have to have another LIS, if the surgeon is too conservative and does not go in enough to allow the fissure to heal, as the surgeon can be over-concentrated on not causing incontinence. Not saying it is any of these things, but I really would suggest that you get the notes, etc., so you have an idea.
Hope the Nifedipine and Diltiazam help.
Thinking of you Image
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Fernie1 » 19 Aug 2012, 23:46

Thanks for your words of concern, Sav :) . I asked for a report but it did not specify how deep he cut into the sphincter. What I do know, he said if I had another LIS I'd become incontinent. The weirdest thing he said is that he "eye balled it" meaning the cut. Does that sound fishy to you? He said if suppositories and valium don't work he'd do Botox on me. Another thing he said is that my sphincter is tight still, which probably means he didn't cut enough. Like you said maybe he was overly cautious. This has been a physical and emotional roller coaster. I'm more depressed than ever. Sorry for venting, thank you for hearing me out.
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 20 Aug 2012, 12:57

Hi Fernie,
Sorry for all the mess. I do remember that expression of eyeballing the fissure, somewhere in all the research that I have done, but cannot for the life of me remember what the hell it means!!
My sphincter is very tight too (never, in my wildest nightmares, did I imagine that me and my anus would become such 'close' friends Image ). I know it's tight, as it is so painful, and was told so many times on ob/gyn visits, and always thought it to be such a good thing. I know better now...
Don't know how you feel about it, but take a look at the Self-Dilation link under the General Anal Fissure Discussion, and also have a look at wecc in the memberlist and see his tale. I am dilating (very very slowly with an extremely small dilator), every other day. I cannot have surgery, and feel that this is the road.
When I first joined the forum, I don't think that I had put my finger near the forbidden city of my bum! Now, I massage, and so on and so forth. I am not in quite so much pain as before, though it is a terribly slow road.
Feel free to vent! That is what we all do, and who better to share it with than those suffering along with you, so to speak.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby ring of fire » 26 Jan 2013, 13:27

I'm in the same painful boat...failed LIS. The surgeon was probably too conservative which I appreciate to some extent but here I am 3 years later in terrible pain again.
Please update on what you decided. I am seeing a CRS next week. Not sure they will be willing to help since my first LIS was done overseas and I did not get my records to bring back to the states with me. What a life revolving around a our bums and the pain!
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby andyk123 » 27 Jan 2013, 05:54

I am in the same position except I was sent for a mamotry test which tests the resting pressure and an ultrasound which allows them to check the state of the muscle. You need to push for these tests and they can then assessif you can have a second surgery
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby ring of fire » 27 Jan 2013, 19:55

Great advice andy! I will push to get those. Can you tell me if they were painful with the fissure there?
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Fernie1 » 28 Jan 2013, 00:10

Hi Ring of fire. So sorry to hear you are going through the same pains of a failed LIS. I think its good your going to see a Crs again. Hope you can get your operative report from over seas and if not maybe your new Crs can request it. Its been about 5 months since I posted my sad failed LIS. My fissures still hurt and sting. Some days are good others bad. Currently I'm using nitro ointment..it has helped but not much. I'm waiting on doctors to tell me what my next step is...I go to a government run hospital (i have no medical inssurance)that's excellent but they they take forever to schedule my appointments. So far hospital has just run tests on me..had colonoscopy couple weeks ago. Next appointment blood test two months from now and so the months just go by with no solution yet for these evil fissures. Hope you cab find a solution real fast Ring of Fire. Wishing u the best healing possible. Please keep us posted with your situation too. Take care
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby Fernie1 » 28 Jan 2013, 00:25

At AndyK so sorry you too are dealing with failed LIS. When I first found out my LIS didn't work I felt I was the only one. Turns out I'm not alone. Thanks for posting about the mamotry and ultra sounds test. This forum is truly a God send I have learner so much. I too will ve asking my docs about these test. Take care and wishing the best healing!
Fernie1
Salt Bather