Can't handle the pain!!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Can't handle the pain!!

Postby Localuna » 02 Mar 2013, 19:56

I'm new here and have been reading everyone's posts, Lots of helpful stuff on here. I was googling side effects for diltiazem and I stumbled across this forum!! I was diagnosed with a fissure this past December 2012. This is the absolutely WORSE pain I have ever had in my entire life!!!! I have anxiety and near panic attacks when it's time to have a BM and I don't have much of a life because of this. Some days I hardly eat because I know I'm going to have to go potty!! It's driving me crazy, thankfully I got a RX for diltiazem ointment which is a blessing!! The diltiazem has made it more tolerable to sit and especially sleep. I know it's going to take some time for this to heal. But no way can I live like this for to much longer.
I had weight loss surgery (duodenal switch) over 10 yrs ago and a side effect of the surgery is chronic diarrhea which is how I got my fissure. I have started to increase the fiber in my diet which seems to make it smoother to pass bms. I'm also anemic and have very low D3, so I'm sure lacking these things didn't not help my problem. I take lots of iron and D3 as well as other vitamins.
As I read other's posts I get a little freaked out because I've only had my fissure for going on 3 months and I can barely handle this long.... I can't imagine life with a fissure for much longer. I read some have had this for many years. My question is WHY??? Is there no relief from a fissure? Doesn't it EVER go away?? Why not have surgery and not suffer for so long?
I'm getting so tired of being in pain and just want it to end.
Is a fissure a life sentence??
Sorry if I rambled
Localuna
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Can't handle the pain!!

Postby delasama » 02 Mar 2013, 20:19

A lot of people heal by just changing their diet and others heal with diltiazem and others have certain health or financial issues that won't let them have surgery...don't forget that most of the people on this forum are the 10% of people that just take longer to heal or have bad luck or they heal and disappear from forum and some people have surgery and then fissure still comes back.you have only had yours for three months, so you have a very good chance of healing with diltiazem everyday and a HEALTHY soft diet. It could take weeks or months to heal, but you have a great chance. Your doc would do surgery first if he didn't think you had a good chance of healing with diltiazem.are you taking a softener like miralax?you also need proper nutrients from food for your body to heal fissure. There is some food Ideas in the food and diet forum on home page to get you started.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby delasama » 02 Mar 2013, 20:25

I have only had my fissure for a couple months also. I see crs on Wednesday for first time. I'm hoping he will give me a cream to use also.and yes your right about fissure being the most painful thing.i am in the same boat as you. I forgot to say welcome to the forum Image u. I only have insurance for six months so I'm going to push for surgery first if crs thinks I should.anyway I'm on here everyday if you want to chat or vent.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby marg6043 » 02 Mar 2013, 20:31

Hi, Localuna, my fissure is also the result of chronic diarrhea, I developed the diarrhea after my gallbladder surgery.
To control the diarrhea I have to take Questran, not often but when I know I will have an episode.
Are you taking anything? to control the lose stools?
I know that sometimes we have not control over this.
But to avoid the irritation when having the diarrhea I lubricate the anal area with Vaseline before a BM, after the BM I do sitz bath and make sure that where the fissure is located is clean so I take a Q-tip with vaseline and gently wipe the area.
Cream is the last step, because I have the fissure for 8 month already and two in which is manageable I have not used to cream since month 6, I developed a rash to the nitro cream.
But the cream works it takes time but it works.
I know the excrutiating pain, we all have suffered this pain and discomfort, the spams can be debilitating, that is why with develop anxiety and panic attacks.
You are not alone, is a lot of information here from members that had suffered and are suffering and what have help them could help you also.
My fissure is chronic but so far I have learn to control the discomfort, I know is there but I can live with it.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Localuna » 02 Mar 2013, 20:53

Thanks for your response Marg. I'm hoping I heal and it never returns. But from all the reading I've done I know that will probably not happen and I will always have this issue. If this is what happens then I will have no choice but to live with it. But right now... I'm so not wanting or willing to live with this forever. I'm in denial!! LOL! I will continue to read and see what's helped others and apply it to my life so hopefully i can have one day without pain!! This is my goal!!! :D
Localuna
Fibre Addict

Postby Localuna » 02 Mar 2013, 23:14

I'm like to add, that I do utilize the sitz bath. Before getting the ointment that was my saving grace. But always short lived. I also ice it on really bad days. I was also taking norco before bm's to help take that edge off the pain. I don't do this since getting the diltiazem, but I am getting horrible headaches, which I'd rather have than the pain in my booty!! LOL! I just got the diltiazem on Friday so I'm hoping it will make it easier to work. I do a lot of driving for work and I have a donut to sit on but that has not been all that much help lately. I work out in the community so i don't have access to a restroom all the time and having to have a bm is terrifying because I don't have the luxury of taking a bath after! And I might freak someone out with my screaming or noise I make while having a bm.
For some reason I have become gassier than usual!! I'm guessing this is from the extra fruits/vegis in my diet.
Sometimes passing gass is painful and sometimes oddly it feels good. LOL!!
This has been depressing and gives me anxiety daily. I am mentally and physically drained every day!! My life is dictated by my bm's. I am so amazed at how all of you have handled this for so long!!!! I am thankful to know that I am not alone!!!! No one truly understand what we go through than someone who is living with this problem!! Thank you all!!! For this forum!!!! I'm not alone!!
Localuna
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 03 Mar 2013, 17:21

localuna it seems you are doing the things that are required to help make the fissure more manageable, thats the goal, healing can come suddenly or very slowly and sometimes you may need surgery to make it feel better.
Is better to do anything you can to make heal on its own before surgery.
I know about the gas, yes it can be very painful sometimes, I also have to plan around my BMs and I get very scare of having an episode of lose stools that can not wait when outside the home, that is why you most get ready for it, carry with you the necessary items to make sure you tend to your fissure while away from home.
I know how bad this problem is and how it can take a toll on us, is a lot of information and experiences from other members that will help you find something that will work for you.
I am already 8 months off since I was diagnosed with the fissure and for the last two months is been much better, but I keep surgery in my mind if things get a turn for the worst.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby Localuna » 03 Mar 2013, 18:03

Thanks again Marg. I told my Dr in the beginning that I'd like to do everything NON surgical for my fissure. But some day's I'm thinking surgery may be the only option I have. I mentioned before that I started the Diltiazem ointment Friday evening... And I must say I am Not so afraid to have a bm now!!! And the sever headache seems to be going away.
I bumped up my fiber yesterday and I noticed that I'm experiencing a watery type diarrhea. Hopefully it firms up soon!!!
Localuna
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 03 Mar 2013, 22:21

The thing about diarrhea is that is not like constipation, at least you can find a way to deal with it and apply the fiber as needed.
With chronic diarrhea I never get constipated but the bouts of lose stools are worst to control because they can happen anytime.
Questran controls the amount of bile in my stomach but my doctor advises me to use it only when necessary, because is also for the control of cholesterol, I have to say that my numbers are wonderful with only using it sporadically, but you don't want your cholesterol be too low because it can cause other problems believe it or not.
But even with the questran when the diarrhea wants to take over it will regardless.
Some way to controlling weight.
Be careful with the fiber, metamucil is a good source for making the stools firmer.
The other type of fiber is good for constipation so make sure you get a fiber that is not going to send you too the bathroom too often.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby Brande555 » 15 Jul 2017, 12:43

Hi guys! Your story is mine to a T.. I have had the surgery in 2012 and have diarrhea everyday.... I have had anal fissures for 5 months or more and it has taken over my live...my doctor said **you have tried everything here's a referal to a surgeon** i have seen him twice...novosy understands the pain we all go through..I cry on a daily basis after a BM i just wish someone would tell me what to do...i wish you luck and hope the cream works for you :)
Brande555
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1