How do you know if LIS has failed?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: How do you know if LIS has failed?

Postby becsbum » 15 Mar 2013, 13:21

I am starting to think more and more that for some of us, our nerves are just messed up down there. My crs said everything looks great, but I still am having annoying pain. I thought of that when you mentioned that your incision site was hurting. I also get some pain at the incision site even though that, too, is "healed."
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby coconut » 15 Mar 2013, 16:09

aimonaali wrote:I'm gonna continue pouring my soul to this thread... It's almost four months since my LIS and the incision site is still hurting. Although it doesn't hurt all the time. Is this normal? Is there a change it might have something to do with the re-tearing of the fissure itself? I had a theory that the muscle is tightening around the incision wound the same way it tightened aroun the fissure before LIS. And now it's too tight and causing problems.
As always, if anyone has something smart to say I'd be happy to hear. Or maybe not even smart:) Just let me know if you have any theories of your own about this.

I second the idea that you can have nerve pain, even though things are healing. My pain level has not dropped in equal measure with the physical signs of injury. It really blows. I'm starting to do guided meditations for people with chronic pain. Today is just day one, so no real word on wether this is effective, but I'll let you know.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby becsbum » 15 Mar 2013, 18:26

Coconut - yes, do let us know! I am interested in guided meditation also and think I may try it. When was your surgery?
becsbum
Salt Bather

Postby coconut » 15 Mar 2013, 19:15

becsbum wrote:Coconut - yes, do let us know! I am interested in guided meditation also and think I may try it. When was your surgery?

Here's a link to the CD I'm using. http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/Mindfulness-Meditation-for-Pain-Relief/2112.pd
My surgery was 9 days ago.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby aimonaali » 19 Mar 2013, 08:48

It's now been four weeks since my fissure retore at doctors appointment. For the first three weeks it seemed to get worse and over last weekend a little better.
But today it's getting worse again. I can feel the little sting all day long and burning after BM. It's not as bad as it was before LIS but still... Does this mean I still have a chronic fissure? :( I feel so depressed and I'm getting bad thoughs in my head. I'm afraid of going back to the doctor because he might tore it even more. And I don't think he can do anything but give me more diltiazem or something.
I do need help. Almost a year and a half of dealing with this and the future doesn't seem any brighter.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby mail2san » 26 Mar 2013, 13:38

Hi,
I am 30 year old female and I had a chronic anal fissure in the year 2010 and had surgery in stopiles clinic, jubilee hills in july 2010. My recovery was very good and never had any problems till now. I used to have some irritations, but it was temporary.
However I gave birth to a baby girl 6 weeks ago. I had a C-section. I didn't had any problem during pregnancy. I did not have a bowel movement for 6 days after my delivery. My doc prescribed milk of magnesia and it worked. I had bowel movement but it was a little painful. Later on, I had regular bowel movements.
But, since last week I had pain while I was passing stools. I was not constipated. I had this pain for 2 days and I started drinking lot of water and took Colace. I had painless BM for the whole week. Today, I felt the same pain again and I also saw some blood in my stool. I had pain only while passing stool, and later I did not had pain for the day except some uneasiness. However, I have pain near my anal when I touch it. I never had blood after lis.
Now I am scared that my fissure is back. Will that heal by itself? I have warm baths and sitz baths. Now I am really really scared. If you have any similar experience, please share.

mail2san
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby hopefulbutt » 26 Mar 2013, 16:42

Aimonaali. Please don't give up on healing. I am holding on by a thread but keep believing. Do u think u are still too tight? Could u ask your Crs to send you for an anal manometer test that would test your sphincter muscle tone? If its still tight there are things they can do to help you. One Crs told me could do botox or biofeedback to retrain muscles to relax. ? Sorry haven't had lis but its the best thought I have for you. Wish you well.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Postby becsbum » 26 Mar 2013, 18:03

Mail2san- I don't know for sure but I believe it is possible to re-tear after LIS but it should be much easier to heal than the last time. From what I've read if the stuff you are already doing doesn't do the trick, meds should do it. But I would go see your doctor if you can - it could be something else like hemorrhoids. Of course the warm baths would help those too! But then you will know what you are dealing with. I would keep up the colace too - sounds like that helped.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Postby mail2san » 26 Mar 2013, 19:37

Becsbum - Thank you for replying. Yes, warm baths help a lot. I really do not have pain after BM. I have pain while passing my stool and worried about blood. I am not even constipated. I did not had pain today, but still saw some blood. I hope it heals on its own. Does diltiazem help?
mail2san
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby becsbum » 26 Mar 2013, 20:30

If its a fissure that is one of the drugs they use. Blood without pain could definitely be a hemmorhoid. I know the worry! I am about 7 weeks post LIS surgery and worried I may have re-torn but it could just be irritation. Your body has recently been through so much! You are probably still healing from the c-section and sleep deprived as well. Try not to worry too much, take care of yourself, and get in to the doctor for some peace of mind. I hope you feel better soon!
becsbum
Salt Bather