How do you know if LIS has failed?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: How do you know if LIS has failed?

Postby owmybum » 07 Apr 2013, 14:35

So sorry you are feeling so despondent with it all aimonaali, it probably does feel like your back to square one.
Try not to stress too much... That's not good for our butts!
The good points you have to remember are that you are not in awful pain of pre lis days... So there must be some sort of progress made.
Hopefully, with the help of the creams you can get back on track to healing all the way.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby andyk123 » 09 Apr 2013, 12:41

Keep patient and continue applying the creams. If you feel you are still not seeing any progress after a few weeks or months, then push for further treatment.
They can carry out two tests, a manometry test, which basically tests the resting pressure of your sphincter. As you have had surgery, it should be quite low. If it is still high (mine was even after surgery) that would suggest the surgery was too conservative.
The second test is an anal ultrasound. This will take images of your sphincter, and give if it the muscle was cut correctly, they will be able to see so on this scan.
If both of these tests show that the muscle was not cut enough, then you may be a good candidate for a second LIS. I know you would rather not go through it again, and hopefully you wont have to, but at least its a further option and you arent at the end of the road.
If you fissure is still tearing, it would suggest that your surgeon was too conservative. But at the same time you do mention that you arent in much pain? It could be that you are just healing slowly, and will require a bit more time to be fully recovered.
Either way try to stay positive, it will be sorted eventually. I am 2 weeks from my second LIS and recovering well, and i have had this fissure for around 2 years now.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby mail2san » 09 Apr 2013, 15:04

andyk123 - good to hear that you are healing after 2nd LIS. I had my LIS done in 2010 jul in India and I was completely healed and never had problems till now. But I feel that am retorn again after my delivery. I am not using any creams. I am just doing sitz bath. I had this pain 2 weeks ago but the pain was healing when I maintained my diet and had lots of water. But since last 2 days it started again and am in terrible pain and its burning like hell.
This means, my LIS has failed and do I have to go for 2nd LIS? I am scared to go to the doc for the fear of 2nd LIS. Also that I had to maintain a different diet after my delivery which has lot of sweets and butter. I am not from here and we follow that diet after delivery. Is that causing the problem? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
mail2san
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby powderblue » 15 Sep 2014, 06:27

Do you have an update for us?
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby suzyljank » 16 Sep 2014, 15:27

Hi, if you've had LIS and your fissure fails to heal within 2 months most doctors would say the LIS wasn't sufficient to heal the fissure. It could be the cut was too conservative or you have underlying stenosis problems. I never got relief from LIS, I was able to have a few less painful bms after the surgery but within a few months things just went back to the same pain. I had stenosis. Finally had 2 advancement flaps done and although the recovery was long and sometimes painful the results were far better than LIS gave me. You might consider an advancement flap instead of a 2nd LIS. It might give you more relief. Good luck with whatever you choose. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic