I had my surgery this morning

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: I had my surgery this morning

Postby owmybum » 02 May 2013, 14:33

Good luck Suzy.... I can't believe nearly a week has gone by already!!
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby jr2 » 02 May 2013, 15:21

I was thinking the same thing as OMB that it doesn't seem like it's already a week. It probably feels like it's been an eternity to you, though, Suzy!
So glad to hear you are still seeing good progress in your recovery without any complications. (of course we're all hoping the pain eases as soon as possible for you).
Good luck at the doctor!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 02 May 2013, 18:12

Hi, just got back from my first post op visit with the CRS. I didn't really know what to expect. My pathology report came back with severe anal stenosis with chronic inflammation. Basically it means the doctor who did my hemmie surgery took too much tissue and left me with nothing but scar tissue. My CRS is a sweetheart, he showed my husband how to dress the two open donor flap sites and explained everyting to him and me. He said I have to do some self dilation for a few months while everything is healing to keep any scar tissue from reforming. I can't believe one week out from surgery and he did a digital and it didn't hurt. I have no restriction on my diet other than keeping the fiber I was already eating in it. I can continue with miralax but instead of 2 and 1/2 doses a day I just take a normal dose at bedtime and if things get too loose I skip a day. He wants me to have a full formed bm. The only thing I can't do is strain, no house work or lifting heavy items until he clears me. My recovery should take about 8 weeks but for a complete recovery it will be 6 months to a year. I just can't believe a week ago today I was doing my clean out and scared out of my mind and today I was crying because I wished I would have done this sooner. I let my fear stop me and suffered for a long time. It's not an easy surgery and there is pain involved but what's the alternative. My goal is to get some normalcy back in my life. I will still have IBS and I will still have to be aware of what I eat but I've been doing that everyday since this all started. I owe a lot to a wonderful woman I met online who had a similar surgery. We became friends and talk by phone all the time now. She shared her experiences with me and was one of my biggest chearleaders and if I didn't have her to nudge me along I don't know if I ever would have gone through with it. That's why everyone in this group is like an angel to me. We share our experiences and try to help one another out. Being able to do this makes a big difference. I hope someday I can return the favor and be the one that helps someone else out too. If your CRS recommends a surgery even if it's flap surgery don't run away like I almost did. Talk to others who have had it, do a little research and ask your CRS a lot of question. Then weigh your options and take your time making a decision. Remember that there is always someone out there willing to listen and help. Thanks everyone. I will keep posting as I progress. If anyone wants to ask me a question about my procedure please do, I'll do my best to answer. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby marg6043 » 02 May 2013, 18:34

suzyljank how wonderful that you are experiencing good things from your surgery already, even with the pain of recovery.
I can only imagine that this whole deal is like a new experience for you.
I am even exited to read you posts about how you are feeling.
I am so happy also for you for having such a wonderful husband that really care for you and is helping you with your healing, that is a very positive thing.
I am sure you are going to do well.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Savaici » 02 May 2013, 19:20

Suzy, how wonderful to hear that things are going well. And cheering you on!!!!! Good on your husband doing the dressings, etc. He must be a gem!
Xxx
Last edited by Savaici on 03 May 2013, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby suzyljank » 03 May 2013, 07:27

Had a bit of a rough night. The doctor packed my donor sites under the skin a bit and it was painful to remove to redress it. My poor hubby couldn't pack it that deep but his way felt so much better. I was bleeding a little and my behind feels like it's on fire. My anus where the flaps are feels good though. I never thought I'd miss being able to sit so much. I have to admit I'm a little whiny today. I'm trying to recover without all the constipating pain meds. I have them but I've only used them at bedtime. I wonder if a glass of wine would be alright? I have 7 more weeks to go yikes! I hope I make it and they go by fast. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Anne37 » 03 May 2013, 08:25

I am sorry to hear you had a rough night, Suzy! Image
I worry when I hear you call yourself a whiny and hope you aren't beating yourself up over things because what I see is a very strong woman who has been and is still dealing with a lot! Maybe half a glass of wine? Image
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 03 May 2013, 09:00

Hi Suzy!
Sounds like your doctor visit went really well. I'm sorry you're feeling more pain though. I imagine at the different stages of healing you're going to have a lot of ups and downs along the way. It's totally expected to also have emotional ups and downs.
As far as a little wine goes, I don't know how much you would need to drink to get any good pain relief from it (how sensitive you are to its effects), but it could mess with the blood flow and therefore healing, and alcohol also dehydrates, and if you are still taking narcotic painkillers at night you would want to make sure you hadn't had any alcohol. It's also a really bad idea if any of the pain medicines you're taking have any Tylenol in them as alcohol and Tylenol, even in small amounts, can be dangerous for the liver.
Would it be ok with your doctor if you increased the Miralax a little if you're going to be taking more of the narcotic pain relievers?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 03 May 2013, 12:05

I'm rooting for you, Suzy! You're so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You're so incredibly brave and tough. Sending positive thoughts and wishes your way!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby marg6043 » 03 May 2013, 22:09

suzyljank, take one day at a time, the wait will be so worth it.
Thanks for sharing with us your experiences so far after PO, take it easy and let the healing take over, so far you are doing a great job.
Your husband deserve a big hug Image and an award for best husband in the world.
You are so lucky. Image
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8