I had my surgery this morning

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: I had my surgery this morning

Postby marg6043 » 12 May 2013, 20:55

suzyljank, soo sorry you have a set back, specially cause by an outside source.
You know, because is going to be a while before you be able to wear pants or any other restricting clothing, you can find some stylish, caftans to wear no even at home but to go out and run errands.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 12 May 2013, 21:43

I have just been out shopping and trying to figure out what to wear when I am traveling (for a child's graduation out of state) this week. I mostly am wearing no undies whenever possible around the house! There is a big gap between that and being dressed! No blue jeans for the indefinite future. Skirts and looser cropped pants or capris are the way to go. Nothing 'constricting!!' I have some really comfortable undies that I wear, don't know the brand (bought at Target), but help me feel more human and less an AF sufferer!!! Peace and healing to you! :D
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby pinpin » 12 May 2013, 23:35

Hi Suzy,
I am sorry about your set back. Hold on! I am checking your thread everyday, and pray you become better and better.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby suzyljank » 13 May 2013, 05:46

Hi, I had a better day yesterday. Managed to have a fully formed normal sized BM last night, yeah. I was so excited. Even though I ached a bit after this is a big accomplishment for me. I can feel my stitches now, they kind of stick me. And my poor butt cheeks feel like I have small craters in them where the skin grafts were taken but they are starting to heal. I wish I could sit down but not yet. I've been able to reduce the ibuprofen I'm taking and I take one pain pill and a Valium at bedtime so I get at least 4 hours of painless sleep.
For anyone considering flap surgery please don't let the negative stories out there scare you away from it. It's not an easy surgery but with a good CRS and the proper pain control and most importantly someone who can help you the first few weeks you can do it. I'm so glad my husband was home recovering from shoulder surgery when I did this. He had to help with the packing and I can't even count the times he had to check me to make sure I was cleaned properly after a BM and he never complained. I'm able to do most things for myself now except checking after a BM. I probably could do that too if I used a mirror but I don't want to see what my poor behind looks like. It would only make me more anxious. If I can give any advise at all I would say think before you jump into any surgery. Feel comfortable with your doctor and if you don't, find another one. Ask lots of questions and insist they answer all of them. Research the heck out of the procedure you're going to have and try to find someone else who has had it done so you get a better idea of what it's like and what to expect. Having a forum like this one is also a big plus. Sharing our stories and exchanging experiences helps so much. Oh and one more thing, try to stay away from hemmohroid surgery, this is what started my journey down butt pain lane. If you have to have it do the least invasive way possible because if they take took much tissue it will be replaced with scarring and that doesn't stretch. Hugs to everyone for all the support and advice it's helped me tremedously. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Anne37 » 13 May 2013, 20:51

Hi, Suzy! Glad to see you are in high spirits. I'm back to work after my LIS so haven't had as much time to be on the site, but wanted you to know I've been thinking about you and sending positive vibes your way!
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby suzyljank » 13 May 2013, 20:59

Hi, anne37. I'm so glad you're doing well and back to work. Can't wait until I can get back to my life. I need to at least be able to go to the store to buy some looser clothing to wear for a while. All my clothing fits so well, I don't have anything loose. Here's to staying healthy Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby pinpin » 14 May 2013, 11:39

Hi Suzy!
Keep going, I pray for you!
I was curious regarding stenosis, and the way it can be prevented after surgery on hemmies? I think you did enough research about this problem.
Is there anything to prevent this stuff? Some oils, ointments or whatever? Can you advice something?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby suzyljank » 14 May 2013, 14:00

Hi, thanks for the prayers.
About stenosis, hemmohroid surgery is the number one reason for anal stenosis. Some people are lucky and get a mild form that is treatable with dilation and stool softeners and then some have so much scarring surgery is their only option. Luckily this doesn't happen a lot. My stenosis came on so gradually I didn't think anything of it. I just thought I was having a hard time having a BM once in a while. I did the fiber supplements and ate more fiber but things kept getting worse. I got a fissure and it healed but that caused more scarring, then I got another that wouldn't heal and had LIS, that caused more scar tissue. I suffered 5 years after LIS because I was so afraid of the flap surgery but I finally ran out of choices and had to have it done. My stenosis required a double flap to repair. Once I heal I will have to do self dilation daily for a while and then gradually it will be once a month. Thankfully I have no restrictions on my diet just to continue fiber, miralax and plenty of liquids. I have IBS too so there are foods I do stay away from. Remember too much fiber is also not a good thing. Find yourself a good CRS, one who listens. Try not to be afraid if they recommend surgery to help you. Sometimes we have to get through some painful moments to come out the other side feeling better. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby pinpin » 16 May 2013, 10:22

Hi Suzy!
Thank you for answer. So it this scar somehow build on you during 25 years. :(
I am sorry, but you never knew doing hemmie surgery about this. I didn't too. Though already after 3 months my BM is narrowed.
Though, this surgeries are very painful, we should be glad there is a solution to correct things. This is not a cancer or such related things. There is always hope we will get better, with fissures, hemmies or even stenosis!
I am not an expert making encouragements, but seeking information on net regarding stenosis, I met group which is dealing with punches, inconsitenceis related to serious rectal problems(like cancers).
I know how it feels, when you have a constant pain, counting weeks not days to see some relief. I was thinking to kill myself twice. Once even driving car with pain in ass after surgery.
Had some many troubles with family during these 3 months of my "disability".
You are lucky you got husband, money, and chance to improve things. You told you know one woman, she did the same and she is lucky now! 5 years huh...?
I believe it will be worth it!
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby owmybum » 16 May 2013, 12:32

How are you doing Suzy?? Are you able to sit a bit now??
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !