I had my surgery this morning

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: I had my surgery this morning

Postby suzyljank » 08 May 2013, 21:43

Thanks Jr2. I'm hanging in there. The donor sights are starting to heal but I have to keep wet gauze on them so I get really irritated around the site. Almost like diaper rash and that burns. I haven't been able to dilate too much but I see my CRS tomorrow morning and he's going to teach me the right way to go about it. The swelling in my butt has gone down so I can really feel the stitches. They pinch a little. I sure hope they dissolve soon. I've been having fully formed bms in the morning and that's good.
Even though it's a painful process I would still recommend this surgery if you have lots of scar tissue. I don't think anyone else in this group has had a double flap, maybe a single is a little less uncomfortable. I cut way back on my pain meds but I still take one norco, one zofran, one Valium and miralax at bedtime. The rest of the day I just take ibuprofen. I'm glad I have the people in this group to talk too and my husband who's been great. He was so excited this morning because he can see things are healing. They just aren't healing fast enough for me. But then I was told 6-8 weeks. At least tomorrow will be almost 2 weeks. My biggest hope is to be able to look back on this and tell everyone it was worth it. I'm going to look into the dilators too, thanks again Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby owmybum » 09 May 2013, 02:09

Hi Suzy,
It's great to hear things are slowly but surely healing. You have been coping with all this soooooo well... I'm so impressed with you!!! You are practically at the two week mark now too!!
Good luck for your appointment today... Hope you get encouraging news!
Keep us posted
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby suzyljank » 09 May 2013, 11:56

Hi, I just got back from my CRS. He said my donor sites are healing nicely, I don't have to use any more wet packings, thank god, they give you like a diaper rash, no wonder babies cry. I had a digital exam that hurt like hell. He said that was healing nicely too but I still have alot of swelling inside so we are putting off any self dilation for a few weeks........ I'm so glad about that. Jr2 I showed him the dilators you showed me and he said they would be perfect. Thanks for sharing that. He gave me more pain meds and made me promise to take them at least twice a day. He explained the healing process for this procedure is really slow. I have another 4- 6 weeks before I'll start to feel normal again. Can't wait for that to happen. He asked me if I still like him and I told him not right now. He told me give it a few months and I would. Hope so. Right now I wouldn't like Santa Claus. Thanks everyone for all the well wishes. I will keep updating just incase someone else is facing this surgery. They will be able to get an idea of what to expect. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby Savaici » 09 May 2013, 12:39

Hi Suzy,
Wanted to let you know that the dilators that jr2 recommended are the ones that I have, and they are fantastic!
Always read your updates, and always in my thoughts as you heal.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jr2 » 09 May 2013, 12:52

Suzy,
Really great to hear that things are looking as expected for where you are in your recovery. It probably still feels like small consolation, but also really glad to hear about the packing (oh, and great to hear the link on the dilators was useful).
One thing that occurred to me is that you really have been through a lot when it comes to surgeries in the anal area, from hemorrhoidectomy to LIS to advancement flap (am I missing any?). I wonder if when you are way further along in your healing if you might consider writing your experience of your surgeries, your recollections, things you might have done differently had you known, etc. It could be really helpful for others, and could possibly be helpful for you as well. We all know the struggle with anal pain is not just physical but takes a mental/emotional toll as well.

A lot of people who have had hemorrhoidectomy, for example, say it is very very painful to recover from. Given that you've had hemorrhoidectomy, LIS, and advancement flap surgery, you could also potentially provide a really helpful comparison type of frame of reference for others in terms of recovery times, pain levels, etc.
Anyway, just thinking out loud. We're all cheering you on!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby marg6043 » 09 May 2013, 14:34

suzyljank hey there, is nice to read that you are doing good and your spirits are high on your road to recovery.
I read about the advance flap and can not imagine even half of what you are going through I am still trying to picture your donor side open Image It sounds so painful to me, but you talk about it like is just a natural thing.
I am sure that you are very happy with your doctor been soo reassuring on the healing. You are soo lucky to be surrounded by good people.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby suzyljank » 11 May 2013, 15:47

Had a setback last night. The digital exam I had Thursday caused some bleeding. I found a stitch. Talked to the doctor and he said stitches can start coming out after 2 weeks and that the exam irritated the area so I'm back on bedrest for a few days. It really scared me. It's unbelievable how much butt pain you have to endure when you suffer with this condition. I wish I had stock in the company that makes gauze pads because I've used so many. Just out of curiosity how does one dress after this type of surgery. I can't imagine blue jeans being comfortable for quite awhile. I don't think any tight fitting clothing would feel great. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby owmybum » 12 May 2013, 02:27

Sorry to hear of your set back Suzy. I seem to always have some sort of set back after a drs visit... But unfortunatly there's no avoiding that if they need to look. :(
Clothing wise.... I have not worn jeans for quite a few months now (aside from the fact they are all too big for me now where I have lost weight) I would think skirts, dresses, sweat pants, jersey material leggings... That type thing.. Nothing tight or restricting in any way.
Hope your bed rest gets you back on track ASAP.
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Rachael 1984 » 12 May 2013, 13:08

Sorry Suzy about the setback. Hope you feel a little better after the bed rest. I agree with OMB. I have lived in leggings for months. Thinking of you Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 12 May 2013, 15:08

Hi Suzy,
I've read all your posts your a very brave woman. I can't imagine what you've been through, I've only had Botox for fissure, hemmie injection & polyp removal which to me was bad enough. It's not working for me i keep re-tearing, so LIS is next I'm terrified, you make me feel better about it you really do & thank you 😊.
I wish you well in your recovery & hope your pain eases soon take care x
Deleted User 2543