I had my surgery this morning

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: I had my surgery this morning

Postby owmybum » 18 May 2013, 01:37

Sending you hugs Suzy..... I hope things settle by them selves so you don't need another stitch.
I bet the sight of all the blood really frightened you.... Try to stay positive, hang on in there.
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby pinpin » 21 May 2013, 06:05

Hello,
How are you these days?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Mood: Good

Postby suzyljank » 21 May 2013, 12:16

HI, I just got back from my CRS appointment. OUCH. He took out my external stitches, they were really bothering me.
That actually hurt. Then I had a very tiny piece of one flap that didn't take so he cleaned under it really good and cauterized it. He said he wants to avoid any chance of a fistula so you have to stay on top of everything. My husband was making faces the whole time. And he tried dilation 4 times, that hurt too but he was able to achieve the diameter he needed to so I guess that went well. I ordered the dilators suggested but they haven't come yet so he used a white tapered candle and if anyone has to dilate that's the easiest way, I didn't feel that at all. You just keep cutting it and melting the edges to make them smooth, to increase the size. I also got the okay to drive again and if I feel like doing some housework or grocery shopping he told me okay if I take it slow. This has been quite an experience. I always cry when I'm there but he's very reassuring. He told me 6-8 weeks to heal things but 6 months to a year to be back to as close to normal as possible. I can't wait. I'm supposed to keep up my sitz baths and keep the area as clean and dry as possible. If anyone else is having a flap done you can ask me any questions, I'll be very truthful with my answers. I'm just starting to realize that it was for my own good when my doctor told it to me straight. Thanks everyone for all your support and suggestions. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby suzyljank » 21 May 2013, 20:28

Well I'm feeling the pain tonight. Just hope this only lasts a few days. It didn't start to hurt too bad until after dinner and then I got some diarrhea. I think that's just my nerves. Can't wait until 10 pm. That when I take the only pain pill of the day and a Valium. I just want to sleep, get a little relief.
Suzy
suzyljank

Postby owmybum » 22 May 2013, 06:41

I hope you are feeling a little better today Suzy... Your poor bum sounds like it went through an awful lot yesterday!!
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !

Postby suzyljank » 22 May 2013, 06:50

Thanks, I'm so glad you finally decided to have your surgery. I wish you all the best. Try to take it one day at a time. It really helps. When I think about what I've been through the past few weeks it sometimes gets overwhelming and I start to feel really down so I have to force myself to take each day as it comes. Sometimes it's not easy but it's just a part of the road to recovery I guess. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I can't wait until you can finally post how wonderful you're doing. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby andyk123 » 22 May 2013, 16:25

Dont know if this is of any comfort, but I had a LIS one month before you had this surgery. I know it is a totally different surgery, but my stitches tore leaving an open wound , probably much smaller than yours. It felt like it was taking for ever to heal, and it was still bleeding after 6 weeks, but it has finally healed now. For a long time i had what looked like a hole, and it seemed for a long time that nothing was happening, and i got quite fed up as I expected a much quicker recovery, but suddenly it turned a corner about 1 and a half weeks ago.
I guess what i am trying to say, is healing is very slow down there. Its such a difficult area for surgical wounds to heal, and whilst it may seem progress is slow, much more healing will be going than you are aware of.
You are probably only a few weeks from turning a corner. I hope you are managing to stay positive, and allowing yourself to rest.
My stitches tore coz I was squatting down trying to fix a boiler, so it is important you relax.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby marg6043 » 22 May 2013, 18:04

suzyljank, sorry to hear of your doc app, is just a necessary evil in the healing process.
I hope you get better in a few days once the stress from the app fades away.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby suzyljank » 26 May 2013, 19:10

Hi, well I've passed the 4 week corner. My skin graft sites are almost healed, just a tiny bit to go. They caused me the most pain. Now that they are on the mend I can feel my butt opening more. It's very tender, I have stitches completely around the opening. I had a bigger BM this afternoon and it felt like I delivered a watermelon but just for a few minutes. Learning to stretch that muscle again is scary. I can't believe it can stretch. I had so much scar tissue it hasn't stretched in years. Hopefully as time goes by I can have a BM without thinking and worrying about it. I've gone through a lot of pain and there is still some pain but to anyone suffering right now don't let the pain scare you away from surgery. Look at it as a chance to get your life back. I have another appt. with my CRS this week and next week I go back to the oral surgeon to see if my bone graft took and I can finally get a dental implant. I have a full plate but I'm grateful for all the support I've received from everyone here. Thank you again Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby pinpin » 26 May 2013, 23:26

Hi Suzy,
I am glad you sound positive and hopeful.
You didn't answer me before, what is actual size of normal BM now? You told before it was pencil thin.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Mood: Good