Scheduled for surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Scheduled for surgery

Postby happyass » 28 Jul 2008, 09:39

hi ravi,
good luck this week. i hope you can get as much relaxation as possible rather than work up a worry cloud for the next few days til surgery day.
someone mentioned eating very mushy foods and i would probably add soups mostly and liquid stuff rather than solids until surgery day and a few days post. it will help keep your bms smaller or at least more manageable through the before and after.
give yourself and your body time to heal and don't build up expectations at all. just know that you will heal and be on your way to a happy butt.
prayers on the way.....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby ravi » 28 Jul 2008, 09:45

Thanks for the responses..
3 days to go for LIS. I have been pain free for 8 days in a row. This has never happened in the past 7 months and now I am doubting that do I need surgery.
Its funny how few good days make me forget the horrible 7 months.
the only thing I am doing different now is that I am drinking much more water than before 3 litres a day and have replaced my lunch by a salad..
ravi
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2008, 09:48

It is ironic how a few good days can give you a sense that everything is back to normal. You can always choose to postpone the surgery I would just hate for you to get in this cycle of feeling better and then have a setback and regret not getting the surgery.

Postby cherylk » 28 Jul 2008, 09:50

Ravi,
If you postpone it, you could always do it later!! Oftentimes the body has a way of healing itself, and in some literature I have it states that 90% of fissures heal on their own.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby happyass » 28 Jul 2008, 09:59

typical sly fissure ey!
those little fissures love to be on their best behavior once they know LIS is coming....
and then you call it off, and then they come back with a vengence.
ravi,
that is great you have got a great week about with no issues.
perhaps if you really feel that you are on the fence, give yourself one more day - tomorrow, to then call up the doc/surgery site and cancel.
as cheryl has stated, about 90% of fissures should heal on their own; it just takes time.
mine took about five years time and there was a moment of where you are now in there somehow but it was just part of the fissure tango.
i wasn't as brave as you to sign up for LIS so quickly....i finally decided about year four to do it but things changed for me and well, now i am all well.
good luck.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Jul 2008, 10:27

I doubt the water is the sole reason yu are better, no need to overdo it with that as your body is only going to send "x" amount to your colon. Good luck thursday!
Deleted User 5

Postby ravi » 28 Jul 2008, 10:40

I will wait till tomorrow to see how things go. This weekend I ate all the nasty things like bread, nuts etc that caused me problems but I still was fine..
Looking back I just want to get done with this thing as it has effected my life. The pain seems to be on most important days when I have to conduct a meeting with several people or give presentations. The million dollar question is what would happen if I stop the stool softners and fiber and the special diet and sitz baths.
Six weeks from now it is going to be extremely difficuly for me to go for surgery. I had got this to the attention of the doc and he adjusted me this week else the waiting is like crazy..
I also tried to recollect the days I used to be in pain. July has been the worst month. In june there was pain in the first week it stopped for few days and started again. In May it had stopped for 3 weeks in a row. So my hunch says just get it done with.
ravi
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Jul 2008, 10:45

Yeah, sitting and stress can be your worst enemies. If you know it is chronic, then you are doing the right thing.
Go with your hunch!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2008, 12:30

I think you should just proceed then. You have it all worked out and who knows when you will be able to do it again. Good luck!!!

Postby cherylk » 28 Jul 2008, 18:07

Ravi,
If you do have it done, be sure to give a report to share with everyone as we can all learn that way. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I understand how work considerations can affect a decision. Work deadlines and responsibilities seem to have a life of their own. I am glad to be done with that!! One advantage of aging!!! (and the only one that I can think of besides social security).
But I am happy today because my state senator has agreed to display brochures in his office for the Autism Tissue Program for which I am an ambassador.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46