Scheduled for surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Scheduled for surgery

Postby buttgirl » 28 Jul 2008, 22:26

I was very happy to get the surgery and start on a hopefully lasting road to recovery. My advice for surgery do's is like Vals. Make yourself something mushy to eat for about 4 days. I made a big pot of chicken soup, some mashed potatoes, some beans, and some steamed veggies. I began eating these 2 days before the surgery. I had nothing to eat after 2:00pm the day before the surgery, but I did drink broth and take 1000mg of magnesium. Then I ate just the mushy foods I made for 4 days after surgery. I had about 1000mg of magnesium each of those days too. I think you could probably eat more sooner, but I just didn't want to. I also found warm baths helpful int he morn and eve, as well as sitzbaths throughout the day. I only needed about 1.5 days of pain killers.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby ravi » 29 Jul 2008, 08:15

thanks, buttgirl what were the pain killers prescribed to you. I will keep everyone updated
ravi
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby cherylk » 29 Jul 2008, 09:04

Ravi,
Are you planning to proceed with the LIS surgery?
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby ravi » 29 Jul 2008, 09:47

Cheryl
Congrats on your breakthough for getting your senator display brochures of Autism Tissue Program. I can imagine you really have earned the right because of your hard work for the cause..
As of now yes. I did call the doctors office to tell them that i have been pain free. The doctor despite being super busy and booked has agreed to see me tomorrow morning at 8.30 am to see if I have healed. If not the LIS is a yes.
ravi
Salt Bather

Postby happyass » 29 Jul 2008, 10:03

good luck ravi!
congratulations cheryl. perhaps under "off topic" forum, you could share a little more on the tissue program. i am curious.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby cherylk » 29 Jul 2008, 10:12

Happy et al,
I would be most happy to provide a web link for the Autism Tissue Program. Would the area be "Useful websites, etc."? I am thinking that is where I should post the info. Here is the link: http://www.autismtissueprogram.org/
By the way, my husband just wrote a check to his friend who asked us to donate to St. Jude. Good luck with your fundraising efforts which surely must be a challenge in these current economic times!!
Ravi,
Hopefully, you are healed. Always nice to not have surgery if you can avoid it (my opinion after having numerous surgeries). I go see my local CRS again today.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby buttgirl » 29 Jul 2008, 16:46

I took 1 vicoden every 4 hours for the first day and 1 every 6 hours the morning of the second day and right before bed. Then if I needed something after that I took 1-2 ibuprofen.
Let us know how it goes.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby ravi » 30 Jul 2008, 07:39

well I just came back from the CRS office and he says that it is healed but it may come back. Nevertheless he said lets give it a chance so as per the dr's recommendation LIS for tomorrow is cancelled. Hope so it is healed for good..
ravi
Salt Bather

Postby happyass » 30 Jul 2008, 08:04

excellent.
that is why i really really liked Dr. Thomas Wright because he was very conservative and wanted at least my fissure to heal on its own - even if it was to endure some pain for a bit longer - and until all avenues were exhausted.
although i didn't do the creams and other stuff, after about 3.5 years, we decided LIS was desirable - well, after me wanting to get over the agony of three.five years, i said lets skip the creams and stuff.....but when he mentioned fistula and fistulotomy, YIKES......my body went into shock. and then i googled fistula and i discovered horseshoe fistulas in the anus and well, that was just enough to put me in overdrive and dive into macrobiotics, squatting, and everything else that i had been doing up to that point religiously.
macrobiotics was the main thing that was new for me and in one month, it turned everything around in my butt.
no LIS. no fistulotomy.
phew. and now i am normal.
here's to healing for you ravi....just take it slow. and don't get discouraged if you have a bad day. i know i had them - mostly due to laverne and shirley.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Jul 2008, 08:06

Great news!!!
Deleted User 5