Scheduled for surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Scheduled for surgery

Postby ravi » 24 Jul 2008, 08:46

At last I have scheduled for LIS.. Its next thursday July 31st. Any tips etc for me
ravi
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Scheduled for surgery

Postby Guest » 24 Jul 2008, 08:55

Have on hand stool softeners, like Miralax, and milk of magnesia. That is the most important for me is to keep things soft and manageable. Don't fret if you don't go for a few days as the ga can really slow your digestion but take the stool softeners as a precaution.

I haven't had this surgery so I can't speak to it directly but try not to let yourself get desperate in pain and take what you need to be comfortable. From what many have shared though it seems like the post surgical pain is much more tolerable than the fissure/spasm pain.

Good luck-we'll be thinking of you on the 31st!

Postby ravi » 24 Jul 2008, 09:26

THanks Lecia.
The instructions I have got says to keep stool softners and milk of magnesia handy. For pain I think they have prescribed me Vicodin. I will keep miralax handy.
The thing with this fissure is so weird. Last tuesday was the best day no problems. I was thinking that I am healing. On Friday all of a sudden it hurt like crazy and it did not stop for 3 days. I could not walk sneeze or climb the stairs and I was ready to go for surgery at that moment it self.
On Sunday night I was awake till 4.00 am because of the pain and finally and went off to sleep. When I got at 7.00 am it was like I never had the pain.
Knock on wood from this monday I have been pain free. ( I hope I dont jinx it by saying this)
Has this ever happened to any others?
ravi
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 24 Jul 2008, 09:40

Yes, I know it has. Usually right when they make the decision to have surgery they start having some good days and wonder if maybe they are healing afterall, but it seems to be shortlived. I know I had some of my best days right before my hemorrhoidectomy but I knew that it would be back as it always was. I'm sure the others will be by soon with some advice. I think you'll be glad once it's done!

Gotta go catch a plane. You all be good!

Postby cherylk » 24 Jul 2008, 10:01

Ravi,
I've forgotten. How long have you had your fissure, and did you try creams??
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby ravi » 24 Jul 2008, 10:13

I got it first 2 years back and they healed completely. I got them back this January and I did not pay much attention for a month or so. Then I have used 0.2% nifidephine ointment..
I will repost my pattern of pain question in a relevant thread
ravi
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Jul 2008, 10:15

Just follow your pre-surgical instructions and don't change your diet after the surgery. You'll be OK. LOL you have been here a while and I don't even know if you are male or female, LOL!!
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 24 Jul 2008, 12:04

first of all, try to be calm and dont panic, its quick and easy and you will be so glad after you've had it done and wish you'd had it before!

Eat really mushy stuff a couple of days beforehand. And a day or two after.

Take painkillers- dont let the pain get there first.

Take it easy and just rest for at least two days- have someone look after you and do everything for you!

Dont worry about the first BM afterwards, it will be a breeze!

Use a shower spray instead of any kind of wipes or paper.

And the best of luck! You'll be fine!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 24 Jul 2008, 14:04

Dear Ravi
This will all be worth while in the end i am sure of it :D
May you never suffer this way again Image
Goodluck and Godbless
X

Postby Fissulyna » 24 Jul 2008, 14:35

Kim- Ravi is a boy (look at his gender symbol LOL ; ) and he has a nice Indian name : ) - like one of my favorite composers Ravi Shankar. It is a Hindi name and means Sun Image (god of sun).
Ravi - I wish you best of luck! You are in safe hands and you will do just great ! I had a LIS and I wish I can have another one - that is how much better I felt right after the surgery !!!
Continue with all your regiments post LIS (sitz-baths, high fiber diet, Metamucil and stuff) and you will be on fast track for complete healing !!!
shuklaambaradharaM devaM shashivarNaM chaturbhujam.h .
prasannavadanaM dhyaayet.h sarvavighnopashaantaye .
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61