surgery #3

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: surgery #3

Postby Jo » 09 Sep 2008, 08:31

Image Juney,
Hoping you are healing and feeling a bit better.
May each day just get better and better.
Take care,
:fairyelf:
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby juney » 09 Sep 2008, 10:54

thank guys! :( i'm in a much worse mental state today unfortunately so you're thoughts help. i took the mineral oil, MOM, and fiber powder yesterday and ate super healthy/very little but still this morning i felt a BM coming and it was hard as a rock. i didn't want to push so i didn't get anything out. some of the gel/gauze stuff that was up in there came out. the pain was and still is excruciating. i've been moaning and writhing on the floor for the past 3 hours and just managed to take some ibuprofen which helps a bit. i think i'm done w/ those nasty constipating pain pills. i'm waiting for the dr to call back, as i'm worried i've done damage to the stitches. i've never in my life felt this kind of pain. i dunno what i'm gonna do to get thru my first BM but i'm literally scared shitless.
also, for those wondering, i didn't have another LIS. i had 2 last year, which didn't help at all. but yesterday i had a fissurectomy and basically he just cleaned out the whole area, which included cleaning out a small fistula tunnel. so the carnage is much greater than it was for LIS. my butthole looks like (as i believe someone else said once) a bomb went off down there. it's unbelievable and each time i see the blood i have to stop myself from vomiting. this is pure hell...but i know i just have to get thru the next week or so and the worst will be over....
i wish this post was more upbeat, but i'm pretty miserable right now. Image
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 09 Sep 2008, 11:12

Sorry to hear about your misery. I know anal surgery is no walk in the park and some of my worst days were post operatively. I don't know if you remember how bad I felt or not. But you do need to manage the pain. I think it is the GA that is constipating you so please don't let yourself languish in pain. You might need to up your MOM since your body was used to it before the surgery too and since you are needing to counteract the painpills.

Yeah, the day after surgery is usually much worse because you don't have the GA dulling the pain at all. I am sorry. Please take something and get in the tub. I doubt you did any damage though it always feels like that after bms after anal surgery. It is very terrifying. But this will likely be one of the worst days and then things will start to improve.

Thanks for clearing things up about your procedures. It doesn't sound like anyone got a straight LIS done this round.

Postby Cinderella » 09 Sep 2008, 11:39

I think you are the bravest person I know. I really hope that this will finally end all your butt problems. Just try to manage day by day. I am so sorry that you have to go through so much pain.
As I understood correctly the pain you have had lately was caused by fistula, not AF? Do you know if your fistula was developed as a complication after LIS? I have understood that this is a possible complication after LIS.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby val » 09 Sep 2008, 12:01

I'm really sorry you're having to go through this Juney, but they lay open the area to let it drain and heal from the inside and it is such a very sensitive area that its normal to be in a hell of a lot of pain. Lecia's right, the day after the surgery is the worst, but it will get better.Once the anaesthetics leave your body you'll probably find that your usual dose of MOM will be ok. I had the same problem after GA in july, but it resolved in a few days. You'll feel better if you are in control of the pain, so relax, take it easy, accept that its going to hurt (a lot) for a few days and take regular pain meds so you feel comfortable.

Cinderella, a fistula isnt caused by LIS, in fact if you have LIS it will be able to heal up quicker as it wont be hampered by lack of blood flow or spasms. A fistula happens with or without LIS but gets worse and worse the longer its left as it makes tracks. If its caught in its early stages it is easier to treat and heal. Are you worried that you might have one?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby juney » 09 Sep 2008, 13:44

thanks for the wise words lecia and val. it helps so much to have encouragement from people who've dealt w/ similar surgeries. i'm sure it is the GA wearing off this morning. my dr recommended doing a warm water enema mixed w/ KY gel. i did 2 of those and had a bit of a BM. got right in the tub and cleaned up and laid there for awhile. the baths feel sooo good. and i know you're right lecia, i need to mange this pain. i can't let the constipation fear stop me from taking the meds i need. i just keep telling myself these will be the worst few days and then i'll start noticing a difference.
cinderella - thank you for your kind words. i guess the majority of my pain was still coming from the fissure, but the dr said it had turned into a small fistula, which he cleaned out at the same time. like val said i don't believe LIS causes fistulas. i think what i had just developed over time b/c the fissure was so deep and ulcer-like. LIS didn't do anything for me positively or negatively. it's pretty rare though, for most people they heal up fine and have no further problems. look at kim! how are you doing since your surgery? i need to browse the forum more and catch up on all i've missed....
oh ,and to answer jen's question...i just finished a paralegal program this summer so i've got all the time in the world to rest and heal. Image i'll start looking for a job once i feel up to it. it's nice not to have to rush back to work or anything this time around...takes the pressure off.
anyway, thanks again guys!! Image
juney
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Sep 2008, 15:12

Juney - I just found your post Image- I am so sorry you had to go trough so much pain and I agree with Lecia, take those pain killers and just take more MOM, you can not suffer through that pain without help :( !!! The best thing is that the worst is behind you and that now you can concentrate on your healing and can take it easy Image ! I am just so sorry that Dano is not around to share his experience too. But our dear baby-Lecia had small fistula too and she knows what she is talking about !!! Unfortunately , :( :( :( :( :( , she had to experience it ALL Image Image Image - how fair is that Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ????
Anyway, you are now on your way of complete healing Image - try to relax as much as possible Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 09 Sep 2008, 17:46

Juney -

I am terribly sorry for your pain. The good news is that this surgery got rid of that fistula, so you can heal properly now. Every day it will get better and better for you. I have so much faith that your butt issues will end now. Until then, take it easy (it is so nice not to have to worry about work/school at this time), take meds & baths, and of corse let us know of all your ups and downs so we can support you!

A fistula is a possible side effect to LIS - but it is extreamly rare. Most board members got their fistula from their actual fissure. I think your in the clear Cindy - your incision was so small (like Fissy's first LIS), that little cut is not going to cause anything. I was kind of worried too about an infection as my incision was HUGE and took over 2 weeks to finally close and stop bleeding.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 10 Sep 2008, 07:39

Dear Juney
Praying today is a better day for you....
Take good care
xxx

Postby juney » 10 Sep 2008, 18:15

just wanted to check in real quick...my laptop isn't working so i'm using my parents super slow computer. yesterday was nothing compared to how bad today has been. :( i couldn't go to the bathroom all day even with all the mineral oil, MOM, stool softeners, and enemas... needless to say i was freaking out. called the dr who said do a mineral oil/water enema and if it doesn't work i'd need him to get the impaction out. i did 4 of those, going a little tiny bit each time. finally a few rock-like pieces came out so i think i'm in the clear. i am so miserable right now, i just cry all the time and lay on my stomach on the living room floor. i feel a bit better since i went, but still really concerned about the next few days. i'm so worried about keeping things clean and causing damage to the area with the hard stool and enemas. thanks for your thoughts guys and i'll be back on to reply to other posts, etc tomorrow probably. i hope everyone's doing well with their own struggles!!
juney
King Fissure