MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

Re: MY SURGERY DIARY: LIS + FISTULA REPAIR

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 24 Aug 2012, 12:55

In my experience, Tylenol doesn't help me much with the pain. Ultram (Tramadol) has been a lifesaver for me! According to my CRS, it is non-addictive, not a controlled substance and doesn't cause constipation. It has been really effective at controlling the pain when needed. I also take ibuprofen.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Strangeworldaf » 24 Aug 2012, 18:54

hi thisfissure...were you able to see the incision site or the stitches ? if it was closed then stitches should be visible outside? do you know anything about this?
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 24 Aug 2012, 19:07

My incision was a little higher up in the anus, so I wasn't able to see it; however, I was able to feel the stitches when I squeezed my anus.
If you did have a closed LIS with stitches, then the stitches would be visible, assuming you can see the incision site. My CRS only put in a single stitch (with a single knot), so it would be pretty hard to see in any case unless you could get a real close-up view. Can you get anyone else to take a look for you? Or can you try to take a close-up picture with your legs spread wide open?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Strangeworldaf » 24 Aug 2012, 19:36

Do you remember how you felt on the 3rd day? Did you bruised and hurt where the stitch was located....I will try and see if I can locate the stich site.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 24 Aug 2012, 19:45

I remember taking a look at the outside of the anus and being surprised that it wasn't more bruised (in fact, it looked completely normal). By the third day, I was feeling pretty good. How are you feeling?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Strangeworldaf » 24 Aug 2012, 20:05

I feel little bruised and pain level at 1or 2 but during BM it's little uncomfortable with pain at level 3 but goes away after 15 minutes...Bottom line it's sore down there.....you were really lucky.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 24 Aug 2012, 22:12

Yep, I agree. Either I'm very lucky, have an amazing CRS or have a magical ass.
Of course, I'm still not out of the woods yet. I have my 6-week follow-up with my CRS in about 10 days.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 25 Aug 2012, 11:25

thisfissure...
one thing i'd be curious about with your surgery is what kind of scalpel your surgeon used. I've heard of different shaped scalpels for fissure surgery, and one in particular has a kind of hook shape to it that makes for a precise cut. I don't recall the name of it, but given that your recovery has been so swift and with so little postoperative pain or bleeding, I'm just curious about what your surgeon used. Do you have a copy of your operative report?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 25 Aug 2012, 12:56

I don't have the operative report, but I do know my surgeon used a #15 blade. From what I understand, most CRS's use a size #10 blade, which is a little larger than the #15, but my surgeon prefers a more conservative approach so he uses a slightly smaller blade.
In any case, I don't think I had any pain or discomfort at all from the LIS site, just minimal discomfort from the fistula repair site (which, as it turns out was more extensive than my CRS first thought since there ended up being a single tract).
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 25 Aug 2012, 13:07

Oh, great that you have that info., and thanks for sharing that. It would be a good question for anyone considering surgery to add to their list for their surgeon prior to the procedure. Patients don't generally think to ask these kinds of things, so it could be really helpful to find info. like this this out begore the surgery, and interview the surgeon about their technique and rationale for the way he/she does things. I know you were really thorough in your discussions with your surgeon and your questions beforehand, and I think this has been a huge part of your dramatic success afterward.
jr2

Topics: 15

Return to Fistula Success Stories