What not to eat....

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

What not to eat....

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 16 Jul 2013, 23:29

OK, there's many a post about diet and Miralax and what can lead to the most 'soft passable stools'.....but how about pitching in on what NOT to eat.  I'm sure many of us have been there!  Perhaps I've missed a link or two, but how about from your own personal experience.  It's embarrassing but here I go.....
Fellow AF sufferers, I advise you not to eat:
1) Potato chips, especially in large quantities
2) Cheeseburgers
3) Fast food sandwiches with white buns, meat and cheese...fries on the side.  Image 
Do not try this at home!  Instead refer to the many posts on what to eat!
Best wishes for a pain-free life!
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Re: What not to eat....

Postby Please go-away! » 17 Jul 2013, 07:53

Thanks JPT, this is a great idea.
Here's a couple of foods and why, it's important to read not only read the percentage of minerals and fibre , but also the ingredients on the container or box.
1) 25% less salt/fat peanut butter, (a friend of mine almost picked it up until I stopped her) sounds good and healthy..NO, read the label..partially hydrogenated soy oil (you might as well chew on a wax crayon to block your colon, far cheaper..lol).
Pick a peanut butter all natural, just peanut's and oil. Always read the ingredient label.
2) Now I'm guilty of this..I just recently purchased these sweet potato fries at a gourmet frozen meat shop. there coated with more then just seasoning, I discovered white flour, but it wasn't in the ingredient list. Unfortunately it's buyer beware, so be very careful.
Conclusion: Read the ingredient list and if it's not listed and your not sure then walk away...Image 
Happy eating.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 18 Jul 2013, 23:40

Thanks, please go away!  I was hoping more people would chime in.  Aren't there other 'sinners' out there??!!!Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Please go-away! » 19 Jul 2013, 11:37

lol..There's got to be, even I still make mistakes, last night as a snack I made a homemade pesto paste with out the Parmesan.
Used flax and white kidney beans,then added a dollop of the kefir probiatic milk.
That wasn't the problem, the problem was I had to many natural vegetable chips (although healthy) but I had to many..My Colon didn't like it, no matter how much water I drank. we learn from our lessons..Hay does any one out there have any stories to add?
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby Luka » 19 Jul 2013, 13:43

It all depends on the person and how their digestive system reacts to different foods. I never had major issues with constipation before I developed the fissure, so I basically ate whatever I wanted to and never had a problem. But I developed pretty nasty acid reflux issues last year and had to change my diet because of that. When I developed the fissure, I changed my diet even more because I was deathly afraid of getting constipated, even though that's not an issue for me.
Right now, I avoid all white rice, pasta, pizza (hated pizza before, anyway, unlike most people), most breads, cookies, most cheeses, chips, chocolate (due to the acid reflux, mostly), fried foods, most fast foods, beef, pork, lamb, anything tomato-based, and spicy foods. I don't drink sodas or anything like that, either. All I drink now is water (LOTS and LOTS... I'm always having to pee, lol), decaffeinated green tea, 1% milk, and apple juice. I also avoid eating too much fiber (mainly insoluble fiber) because it tends to bulk up my stools too much. I know nuts are usually considered a no-no with a fissure, but I've never had a problem with softer nuts like pecans and pistachios, if chewed thoroughly.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2013, 09:13

Ok Just 'Pain' Tired.........you caught me.

But really, those subs I use to love would rip me so wide open it felt like when pooping my anus was undergoing the dredging of the panama canal!!!
That and overly salty foods wreaks havoc on me and they are a big no-no no-go.
Last edited by Guest on 20 Jul 2013, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Please go-away! » 20 Jul 2013, 11:02

I remember Buttastic, every time I would go to a subway or Mr. sub shop here in Toronto, It would go right out of my system, as a loose BM.
I use to think it was there special sauce, and yet I still ate them as a kid even into my young adult hood. I didn't know I had IBS back then.mmmm.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Postby JHH » 20 Jul 2013, 11:11

Whaaat.... How dare you post pictures like that in a fissure forum?!
Only thing worse would be pictures of beer and peanuts Image 
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2013, 13:18

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jul 2013, 13:59, edited 2 times in total.

Postby JHH » 20 Jul 2013, 13:30

Whats that? A bristool 1 BM?
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16