37F and just had LIS!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 37F and just had LIS!

Postby Conifer2 » 05 Dec 2021, 17:21

3 weeks post LIS

Hit the 3 week mark after my surgery today and things are still going well. I’ve continued to notice improvements this week such like bms not being scratchy or uncomfortable anymore. I still have the pre-bm anxiety and always suspect it to be sore but always pleased it’s not. I get a bit of an achey sensation for about 2 hours after wards but it’s not sore and more of just an awareness. Sometimes it almost feels tight but it’s never sore and has never escalated so I expect this is just recovery continuing.

I still feel my fissure occasionally but no sensation from incision or skin tag site. I can’t say I have ever had much awareness of them to be honest. I also don’t have much wound discharge - maybe a very small bit during the day but nothing at night. I wonder if this might be a bit of stool seepage but it’s hardly anything most days and I will take it to be out of pain.

I had a couple of instances of blood this week that shocked me a bit but not associated with any pain and I expect this is just the course of the fissure healing. Ive read on here that bleeding can occur for a number of weeks so I’m not upset about this yet.

I ended up having quite a bad stomach upset yesterday - no idea from what but my body needed something out quickly. Anyway I was hugely nervous what this would entail but it was pain free even after 3 toilet trips due to bad stomach cramps. Feeling better today and eating lightly and sensibly but no idea what last night was about.

So in summary things are continuing to go well and will check in again next week when it will be one month post surgery
Conifer2
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby DarkJediFury » 13 Dec 2021, 10:17

quote: Ive read on here that bleeding can occur for a number of weeks so I’m not upset about this yet.

Kind of made me feel a bit better about finding I'm beeding today. Probably just the fact that I'm passing more, firmer, larger stools.

Hope you're still improving.
DarkJediFury

Sep 2017 Bilateral inguinal hernia
Jun 2018 Epigastric hernia
Hemmies & AF
Feb 2020 Diltiazem
Jun 2020 Botox
Nov 2020 Diltizem
Jun 2021 Hem banding/botox
Oct 2021 Diltiazem
Nov 2021 LIS/botox
May 2022 RH Inguinal hernia
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby Conifer2 » 13 Dec 2021, 16:27

Hi there. I just read your post on your thread - sorry to hear things have hit a bit of a block. I’m doing ok now 4 weeks out of surgery but I still have healing to do. I also feel better knowing things are a bit similar with you. I think we need to think about progress week by week and try to not think about the daily bumps in the road.

I’m really not aware of skin tag or incision at all - all the skin tag horror stories I’ve read have not been realised at all, that bit has been a dream - it’s my fissure that is being stubborn. I’m really hoping the next few weeks things progress as some worries are beginning to creep in.

When bm is formed it’s often very scratchy and a bit uncomfortable with blood. However when it’s realy soft as it is now since the laxido has started working again then there is no blood and it feels ok. If I have to go >1 time it gets achey and I almost feel a bit tight.

But I’m not in pain - it’s 2/10 at it’s worst and is not stopping me live my life at all.

I feel like I’m trying to convince myself but my fissure was big and it’s only a month and I’ve had some struggles with keeping bm soft. So hopefully over the next few weeks things will keep improving. I have no regret of the surgery as I wasn’t living before and now I am but I’m not back to normal and feel I have a good bit of recovery still to go.

Oh and I’m still sitzing twice a day and after any bm. I think I will do this for a while as I really like the cleanliness aspect of it.
Conifer2
Salt Bather

Postby Worstyear » 29 Dec 2021, 11:02

Hi there! How are you doing so far? Just came to say hi!
Worstyear
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Peggydoo » 29 Dec 2021, 18:10

Hi @conifer2, I’m a 37 year old female with an anal fissure too. I’ve been dealing with them on and off for years. But I got one in November a week before I found out I was pregnant. It’s stolen the joy of the pregnancy. Then on Monday my 8 week ultrasound showed no heartbeat so I’m starting to miscarry and may need a DNC surgery next week. I’m seeing the colon rectal surgeon next week too, but I’m sure they’re going to tell me to wait it out since it hasn’t even been 2 months.. but the nifedipine ointment and sitz baths are not helping this time around and I’m in pain all day after I go. Wondering how you’re feeling now after surgery? Do you still recommend it? Is there anything you would’ve done differently to assist you during your miscarriage? I’m having a hard time wearing a pad while dealing with the fissure.. but the Dr said the DNC might make me constipated so it’s a hard choice on what to do. This two problems at the same time thing is making it very hard on me mentally. Anyway, any advice is appreciated!
Peggydoo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Conifer2 » 31 Dec 2021, 09:52

Hi worstyear. Thanks for checking in - things are mostly quite good at the moment for me. Still recovering but will update below. I think I saw somewhere else that you were looking for advice / info about your procedure. How you getting on with that?

Peggydoo - I’m so so sorry to hear this news. I really am and it brings back a lot of very difficult memories from the last year esp as I spent New Year’s Day in hospital going through something similar. The first time was spontaneous MC at home but in may I needed to have medical management (the pills that make you pass the pregnancy) for the 2nd as had the same finding at an early scan and I wouldn’t do that again as was really traumatic so hopefully this will be easier for you. I would recommend to take a stool softener like laxido to help counteract the procedure. The medical management made me constipated for sure and then my fissure came back and never got better. I hope you have good support around you and please feel free to send me a message if you want to chat behind the scenes. I found it such a lonely experience and as much as family were supportive, unless you’ve been through it it hard to understand. And I feel the exact same thing about the fissure. And dealing with both at the same time is horrendous as unfortunately I know too well. There is nothing I can really advise about the MC other than to just trust your body and take the time you need mentally and physically. And to be honest there is not a lot you can do once the process starts. If it happens again to me I would go down the D&C route if this helps your decision in anyway. I’ve done the other two options and they were difficult. I am sending you a lot of love and strength

As for my recovery. It’s still in process and the fissure is still there but not that sore. It still sometimes bleeds and is a bit scratchy but I have no spasms or pain. This is a game changer for me as my spasms caused me absolute misery. Sometimes I feel slightly achey but all in all I am pleased with how I feel and I would have the surgery again in a heart beat. I’m still sitzing twice a day and using gauze as I have a bit of seepage - very slight and seems to be easing off so just keeping a track on it. If I need to have more than 1 bm in a day then It can be soreish but I think that’s as the fissure is still healing. I haven’t taken pain meds since day 4 or so after surgery but still taking a daily laxido which I will probably do for a long time to come.

I’m now also 6 weeks pregnant. I hesitated on whether to share this or not given your own update Peggydoo and sorry if this is not appropriate. Given my history this past year I’m honestly expecting the worst again so not feeling very invested in it and it hasn’t been the happy joyous time it was first or second time around. however it’s more of a mark of my recovery and how I was feeling 2 weeks after surgery to be able to conceive. As I said, I’m full of trepidation with it all given my previous bad experiences so taking it literally day at a time.

I have my follow up appointment next week and will be interested to see what my CRS says in terms of healing. I’m definitely moving in the right direction but it’s just a bit slower than i expected it to be. I should also say that I have had no issues from the tag removal site that I am aware of at all. Nothing of the horror pain stories that I have read in other places and I am really pleased with how everything feels down there without the tag which used to really make me feel ick!
Conifer2
Salt Bather

Postby Peggydoo » 31 Dec 2021, 11:15

Thank you conifer2. Would love to connect with you behind the scenes, not sure if there’s a way to private message you through here, I’m new to the forum so let me know.
I think my body passed most of my pregnancy on its own last night. I have a follow up on Monday to see if I need the pills or dnc. If it hadn’t started on its own I would’ve opted for the dnc although the dr said that would cause me more constipation than the pills. So I’m still at a loss on what to do but hoping my body just figured this out on its own now.
Congrats on your pregnancy! I will share that I had a small fissure with my last pregnancy that started the week before I found out and cleared up at week 12. He’s now a very healthy happy 3 year old and once it cleared up it didn’t really return until this pregnancy. I think the weight of the baby actually helped my pelvic floor to stretch and maybe heal? So hopefully that’s some hope for you to hear. I did opt for a c-section considering my past with fissures and I’m glad I did. I was very on top of stool softeners and Miralax and healed up much faster than my sister did who had 4th degree tears from a natural labor. Do what’s best for you but if you want my advice, I’d book a c-section to allow better healing of the area. Praying things continue to heal for you so you can enjoy your pregnancy! Please let me know how we can keep in touch. Thanks!
Peggydoo
Fibre Addict

Postby Conifer2 » 31 Dec 2021, 15:32

I’ve just sent you a pm via the email user option on your profile page. Hopefully you will have received it.
Conifer2
Salt Bather

Postby Peggydoo » 31 Dec 2021, 15:54

Got it! Trying to figure out how to respond
Peggydoo
Fibre Addict

Postby Suffering2long » 02 Jan 2022, 04:39

Congratulations Conifer! Thinking positive for you.
The healing sounds like it’s going well too.
I’m keeping an eye on your posts as I’m back to square one, I feel. Spasms and blood and stinging on bm :(
I’m hoping the surgeon can help me. I’m booked into the hospital February. She’ll have a look and see what’s going on. Kinda wish she’d just do a lis while I’m under!
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4