Diary - LIS in a few weeks!

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Diary - LIS in a few weeks!

Postby GilmoreGirl » 10 Apr 2017, 07:45

So the D seems to have stopped now, but things are still very very sore. My ibs is beginning to act up and things down there are still very very tight. I'm scared I won't be able to have a bm unless it's diarrhea, as I still have to strain a lot to pass gas.

I phoned the surgeons office first thing and he said oh yes, all normal. But really it doesn't seem as if this is normal?! How can it be so tight down there after a surgery that's made to loosen the muscle? I just feel that maybe this surgeon wasn't a good choice, if that's normal for her patients. Lots of people don't seem to have this problem post op.

The nurse did say that I should be over the worst now, and that swelling and pain should decrease from today onwards as it has almost been a week. I hope that's true because i can't take it anymore. I'm just so unhappy with how this has gone I hope it's worth it in the end.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby Mypoorbutt » 10 Apr 2017, 08:58

Glad it's slowing down now Hun.
My surgeon who is one of the best and was amazing with me did quite honestly say my recovery would be awful if my diarrhoea started as it stops swelling from going down and can increase any tightness. He also said that about ten percent of people who have this op feel a lot tighter the first week to ten days, that's his research as he also lectures about IBD and its effects.
So while it's not normal to feel how you are it's not entirely unusual. I think from today you will start to improve the first week can be awful but it will be worth it in the end and you will be pain free
Your sphincter will open wide enough for a normal BM it just might be uncomfortable at first.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby GilmoreGirl » 10 Apr 2017, 10:00

Thanks mbp that's reassuring. I think the diarrhea definitely set me back pain wise. But at least I was able to go.

Now I'm back to feeling bloated and gassy and I can't tell if I need to have a bm or not - I don't want to strain too much. I took a stool softner last night expecting maybe to go this morning, but nothing. I'm wondering at what point I should take a laxative...I know the longer it takes for me to go the worse the ibs will get.

This is so confusing! I'm scared to have diarrhea again but also scared not to go or that it will be too large and solid when I do.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby patience_and_healing » 10 Apr 2017, 10:02

Can you ask your doctor whether you should take laxatives? If the area is so swollen and tight stool softeners may not be enough to help you go. Hopefully the worst is now behind you GG!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby GilmoreGirl » 10 Apr 2017, 11:35

Patience and healing - i will try, but I think they'all probably suggest I do. If I haven't gone by tonight I'll take a small dose of senna...I think that is probably the most gentle? Is anyone aware of any more gentle options?

With the tightness it certainly feels as though I won't be able to go unless it's "urgent".
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby mamafizz » 10 Apr 2017, 13:35

GG, so glad it's easing a bit... baby steps I know:) the main culprit is the inflammation--The trick is to get that to calm, best from the inside out, so that when you have loose bowels it is not so sore or burny and will recover after the episode much faster. The diosimin is working well and vitamin E pretty simple - Much gentler it seems than the chemically made meds maybe? Try emailing Rosenfeld and ask him to explain it to you possibly? less invasive and more gentle? It could bring the swelling down faster it also provides some natural pain relief as well so it will be easier to pass a more formed bm, I'm sure something will help soon!
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby chachacha » 10 Apr 2017, 14:17

Do you not want "urgent"? I would think that it would be much better that way, so that it comes right out, rather than having to strain.

Good luck, and hopefully, by now, you've already had a good movement.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby GilmoreGirl » 10 Apr 2017, 15:07

Thanks for the info mamafizz I'll check it out.

Chachacha - haven't yet, and my stomach is getting awfully cramped. I do want urgent, you're right! I'm just worried about a stimulant laxative upsetting my stomach. But I think I will just take it tonight and deal with what comes, hopefully effortless.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby paine » 10 Apr 2017, 18:08

hi GG. my swelling started to calm down 2 weeks after lis. i dont even have ibs. and yes its frustrating. hang on.
paine
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby GilmoreGirl » 11 Apr 2017, 05:49

Thanks so much Paine. Were you able to have a bm ok, if you don't mind my asking? So far I have only passed diarrhea. It is still difficult and very painful to pass gas, so I'm really worried about having a normal bm. It is just so so tight down there I had to strain a little even with diarrhea.

I ended up just taking another stool softner last night. I'm not eating much and I'm very very sore so I don't want to rush things unnecessarily. I'll call the surgeons office and ask exactly what to do over the next couple days. Pain and urgency woke me up at 5 and I thought i was going to go, but it ended up to just be lots and lots of gas, which was painful enough to pass. I'm just feeling very uneasy about the way things are going. Trying to be patient but i don't think I've seen any improvement at all since day 1.
GilmoreGirl
VIP