Fissurotomy/fistulotomy and botox tomorrow

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Fissurotomy/fistulotomy and botox tomorrow

Postby Sue27uk » 10 Jul 2012, 02:38

Aw thanks ETO. Image I'm glad you are healing quickly and getting better. I'm not too bad again, just some minor irritation after bm again this morning, and a few spasms but am applying the rectogesic and hopefully the botox will take effect soon! Nothing to write home about! My bleeding had totally stopped so nothing really there either. Image I know, I was dreading the first bm, but its honestly not that bad folks!! I will convince them ETO!
In answer to your questions thisfissure:
1. I am having one sachet of movicol a day, plus one dulcoease tablet at night and this is making bm quite soft and 'like a pile'! I wouldn't go for formed bm to start with as I would imagine this may irritate, not had that myself yet!
2. I don't feel I could go out for a meal/cinema yet. I have been ok sitting at home but find sitting sidewards or getting up for a wander around eases the discomfort (which is all it is really, not pain). Intend on going for a short walk today too to the bottom of the road, building things up.
3. I was given ibuprofen and tramadol. I have only used ibuprofen and paracetamol though.
4. I had some gauze on for my time in the hospital. However I did not use a diaper, didn't use anything actually! I found the amount of blood coming out wasn't a great deal, so it just stayed on my cheeks and I was able to lightly dab it! But I would imagine that a panty liner would be sufficient, maybe ETO could advice more.
5.The pain is not too bad, as I've said slight pain/irritation in bm. I have more what you would describe as discomfort when sitting for long periods and slight spasms this morning but hoping the rectogesic and botox will sort that for now. It was only brief.
6. Post bm, I dab with a damp cotton wool ball (not sure if this is advisable but what I have always done) just to get excess off. Yesterday I went in the shower and then washed it, and then in the portable bidet I bought a while ago (bit like a sitz bath I suppose). Today I just dabbed with the cotton wool and then sat in the bidet and everything seems good.
I hope this answers all your questions, feel free to ask more if you want to. It may be worth reading what others have done after LIS as you will be getting this done too. As you are having both, your recovery may be longer and you may bleed for a bit longer than I have. I still get watery kind of slightly stained 'stuff' coming out but its only minimal and I take it as though its a part of the healing process. Hope all is well with you :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 10 Jul 2012, 06:09

Thanks Sue! Between you and ETO, I feel so much more prepared for my surgery!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Jul 2012, 11:19

Quick update. Well I had some bleeding and pain last night and my heart sank! But the bleeding stopped this morning, and the pain is not a sharp pain like last night. It's more an all over ache. Guess this is to be expected as I'd got away lightly so far!! Managed a walk down the road today though. Aching/bit sore tonight as sat forward doing some of my art today but feeling better tonight again which is a good sign. Only bad thing is getting a load of emails from work with everything I've got to do, nice way to stress me out! Suddenly been dumped on me that I have to do a presentation next Tuesday and my pay rise depends on it, great when I'm not in until Monday!!! Oh well, take it as it comes I suppose, try and relax so my bum muscle doesn't try and go crazy!! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 11 Jul 2012, 11:48

Hi Sue:
Despite the minor setback, I'm still really impressed with your post-op recovery so far! My CRS told me that a "two-steps forward, one-step back" recovery is typical. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby andyk123 » 11 Jul 2012, 12:30

hello sue! glad to hear your surgery is behind you.. fingers crossed the results are good.
i am having lis tommorow! just made a thread about it. changed my mind about 2nd round of botox..hope i made right decision
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Sue27uk » 12 Jul 2012, 14:16

Well my daily update is a bit mixed today. Had increased soreness and shooting pains but this is more of an all over type of pain/ache. Plus have a cornflake coloured thing sticking out my bottom from the inside which looks like it is stuck on my skin. You an imagine my panic upon this discovery. But there is no redness or pus and I have been meticulous about cleaning. Wonder if this is to do with the rectogesic I am applying or a scab? Image If it doesn't get better soon I may go to the GP to get it checked. I know it probably isn't an infection but suddenly got my nerves back a bit. If it is an infection I'm guessing it would just be antibiotics? Mind you I did alot of sitting and went for a walk yesterday so that may have aggravated it and I am only 5 days post-op so bound to have things like this. Hope everyone else is doing ok! I probably am, just bit paranoid about my bottom now! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Jul 2012, 14:50

Hi Sue :)
I think we all get really paranoid post surgery and with the whole healing process...I completely understand that too. I was thinking my follow up (8 weeks) is quite a long time, so I will get another GP appointment in in the meantime just to hopefully get myself further reassurance that this thing is healing! ....
Everything you are experiencing right now is normal I'm sure with respect to the soreness/ pain. I got all that too and now I'm still a bit sore now and again, particularly more so recently but wondering if getting my period hasn't helped contribute in some way.... Image
There's going to be all sorts of weird stuff going on down there right now accompanied by all types of feelings and sensations, so wouldn't get too alarmed at this stage. It doesn't sound like you have any sign of infection but would say just book an appointment with your GP, just to get your cornflake checked out! and more importantly to put your mind at rest before you start worrying too much. If they do suspect an infection, then yes, will be more than likely they'll prescribe you anti-biotics at this stage. If it's all healing nicely (hopefully!)....you'll get a bit more renewed faith that you're getting better and more determination to get over it. I can't see a connection between the Recto and the cornflake, but then again I'm no medical expert!!! ...It's not like a bit of gauze or stitching is it??? They gave me a few stitches after my op and I had this white thing dangling for a bit!!
To me it all sounds like you are doing really well and that pain really is normal. I remember feeling so great for the first 3 days post op and day 4, the pain came back quite a bit more but then subsided again after a few days. I just took Ibruprofen and that helped a lot....
Feeling paranoid is absolutely all part of the process and yes, if you need some reassurance, just see your GP. We all need some mental support through these horrible experiences of ours!
Day By Day! Hopefully, tomorrow you'll wake up feeling better but if not, pop a pain killer, book a GP visit, try to reassure yourself it's all normal and do something nice for yourself or someone else to make you feel better Image
You're doing great!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Sue27uk » 13 Jul 2012, 01:36

ETO you are an angel. Thank you so much for your reply! I have indeed got up, had a bm and the 'cornflake' has gone! Yay! Still quite sore to go but its not got the same sharpness of pain. So I've concluded it was the sitting down and a bad day. Not going to bother my GP yet as I've convinced myself if it was infected it would be much more painful than it is. Plus surely I'd see some redness or pus or something. Just had a wobbly paranoid moment I think. Thank you again, your support means alot. All seems well (ish!) again :D Hope you are doing just as well and your pain is reduced Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Sue27uk » 15 Jul 2012, 02:45

Well things were much better yesterday, had a painkiller in the morning and then had no pain for most of the rest of the day. Yay! Had an almost pain free bm last night too which is great. Got up this morning and a bit sore again but I realise I will have good and bad days. Generally things are better. Hope this gives hope to whoever reads this as one week post op I am ok!! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Sue27uk » 16 Jul 2012, 10:54

Thought I'd do a quick update. Did my first day back at work today, got to admit it was painful. Took some ibuprofen this morning, then again at lunchtime and it got me through. Hopefully I will get through until Friday and then have 5 and a half weeks off as I work in a school. This will be a good recovery time I'm hoping! Not much to report, a bit of watery blood tonight but not alot at all. Things can only get better! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist