Fissurotomy/fistulotomy and botox tomorrow

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Fissurotomy/fistulotomy and botox tomorrow

Postby Sue27uk » 06 Jul 2012, 14:13

Well, I am posting this as people have asked me to let them know how I get on. Tomorrow I am having what my GP called a fissurotomy, but what has come on my letter for the hospital as a re-opening of a fistula! Whether they are doing this just for charging purposes I don't know but have asked to speak to my CRS before doing anything to see. Image From what has been said to me, my fissure has healed but there is a tract underneath which he is re-opening and injecting botox at the same time to help healing. Got to admit I am feeling slightly nervous but am hoping that this will sort everything out once and for all (including some pain at the top between my cheeks/coccyx area too!). Fingers crossed it all goes ok, will update for those who are interested :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: Fissurotomy/fistulotomy and botox tomorrow

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Jul 2012, 15:11

Hi Sue,
Wishing you all the VERY best with your surgery tomorrow. If it's a simple fistula, they will just deroof it and maybe put in a couple of stitches...I just googled and it looks like a fissurotomy is the re-opening or "laying open" (deroofing) of the fistula?? Your situation actually sounds the same as mine was....only they didn't do the botox because they advised there was no evidence of the fissure anymore. On saying that my fistula was in a different area to the fissure site, so guessing, they're giving you botox because it's so close to the fissure maybe?
I really hope this sorts out things for you once and for all and I'm sure it will help with that coccyx type pain too.
Just be prepared for a few sore days to follow and keep your Ibruprofen at hand!! Guessing it will take a few weeks to fully heal but all sounds good and it's just great you're going in to get it sorted at last.
Thinking of you tomorrow, get it out the way and start your healing journey!! Let us know how it goes xx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Sue27uk » 08 Jul 2012, 02:53

Well it's all been done. I went into the hospital feeling nervousso nervous in fact I'd forgotten to take my medication! Ooops!! But what a difference going private makes. Felt like I was in a hotel on holiday, though obviously not the type of holiday I would choose (!). The anaethestist and CRS came to see me, totally put me at my ease. Went down at 1pm, all done by 10 to 2. He came and saw me afterwards, said it was all very straightforward. He has laid open the tunnel that was actually on the site of the fissure, cleaned it out, and injected botox into both sides. Got to admit that I was a bit knocked about by the anaesthetic, so tired! But apart from that, can hardly feel anything. Some bleeding which is slowing and able to sit normally! Still waiting for the first bm but have been taking all my medication and drinking lots to help. He has given me movicol but as I have never tried this and have IBS I'm a bit scared. Anyone else have IBS and used movicol? How much do you take? Thank you ETO for the support, it does mean alot. It does seem like we have had similar problems! Hope you are continuing to heal :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 08 Jul 2012, 07:37

Hi Sue:
Congratulations on your surgery! I hope you can finally put your butt problems "behind you."
On July 24th, I will be having a fistulotomy. Like you, my fissure healed as a superficial fistula. I am also having LIS at the same time as my CRS wants to make sure the fistula heals properly and I don't get any more fissures.
I really hope you will update daily for the next week or two. I would really like to hear how your recovery is going, any advice you have for those about to go through the same thing, etc.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby jr2 » 08 Jul 2012, 09:34

Hi Sue!
Congratulations on making it through your surgery! So happy to hear all went well and routine and that you're back home to begin your recovery.
Regarding your question on Movicol. I have severe IBS, which actually may be Crohn's disease, and I do use a small amount of Miralax (the equivalent to Movicol). But I use only about a half of a teaspoon of it, which is plenty for me, but which is a very small fraction of a full dose. When you first start it, some people say it takes a few days to take effect, but for me, the first time I took it, it had an effect the next morning. If you tend toward diarrhea with your IBS, as I do, it might work faster and more powerfully in you, so I would suggest trying a very small amount to begin with rather than a full dose.
Good luck with your healing!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby jr2 » 08 Jul 2012, 09:34

thisfissure...
Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 08 Jul 2012, 10:20

Thanks jr2!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 09 Jul 2012, 02:33

Thanks thisfissure and jr2, really appreciate the support! Quick update, had my first bm this morning and no problems. Yay!! Kept things very soft, decided to go with the movicol but only one sachet per day and it seems to have worked. Got some minor irritation but that is to be expected, its easing off as I type. No blood, my bleeding seems to have stopped. Could this be it? I really hope so! Thisfissure, I hope your recovery is like mine so far. Though be aware yours may be slightly different due to having LIS too. Got to say going to this CRS has restored my faith in medical professionals, and the doctor I am seeing now seems to be really good. Lets hope I can find someone as good to sort my dermatological issue!! Its a good day :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 09 Jul 2012, 07:22

Congratulations Sue! I am soooooooooooooooooo glad your recovery is going well! PLEASE keep us updated on your progress.
I have a couple of quick questions for you:
1. What is the ideal post-op stool? If I take Miralax (Movicol), and reduce my fiber intake, my stools become very soft (but not runny) - kind of like slightly melted ice cream (nice visual, huh?). I don't have to push at all to have a BM; it just kind of slides out in a big pile.
If I take Miralax, but increase my fiber intake, my stools are still soft but they are wider and well-formed. In this case, I sometimes have to push (but not strain) a little bit, but not always.
I am still trying to decide which is better, especially post-op. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
2. At this point, would you feel comfortable going out yet (i.e., to a restaurant for dinner or to see a movie)? My in-laws are going to be coming down for about a week to help watch our kids while I have my surgery and recover, so I am just trying to get a gauge on how good of company I am going to be.
3. What post-op medications, including pain relievers, were you given?
4. After the surgery, which is best: gauze, a panty liner, or an adult diaper? If you used gauze, how did you keep it in place? And what size did you use? How often do you change it? I'm just trying to figure out what I should be planning for post-op.
5. How is your pain at this point?
6. What is your post-BM routine?
Thanks so much!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Jul 2012, 13:31

Great to hear you've had a good day Sue. It really helps uplift you, doesn't it?? Image
& really if only you could convince everyone that that first BM really isn't that bad after all!!.....
If your surgery was relatively minor, you won't be bleeding for long. My first two days were the heaviest and then it just all seemed to become really light, to the point I only knew there was blood if I gently pushed on the recovery site. I had another day with a bit more blood, that I was assured was normal and a good sign of healing and 5 - 6 days later, the bleeding had totally stopped....
Truly wishing you heal as quickly as I seem to be (touch wood)!! and really glad you have the support you feel with your Doc now. That really helps a lot too....
Keep healing Sue and may each day get better & better Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again